Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recoverer required

Options
  • 06-05-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    I know this is the local forum but im trying to find someone local.
    I have an external Hard drive which has now become unrecognisable.
    There is a clicking noise coming from it when it is plugged in.

I am wondering if anyone knows any data-receoverers in the area that can open it up and recover the data for me.
    Pm me the name and number if possible.

Mods if you need to move this to the IT section, no worries :-)
    Thanks Guys
    RA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I sent a link to this page to the guy that I used, he's on the Dunmore Rd. I'm just not sure if he is still doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Have you tried turning it off, then turning it back on again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

longshanks wrote: »

Have indeed; and unInstalled and reinstalled the drivers.
    seems to be a hardware issue with the clicking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its definitely a hardware issue, it means the read/write head is probably touching the hard disk platter while its spinning around and generally it means the hdd is not long for this world and you're right to be looking to extract the data as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by longshanks

Did you try giving it a good shake, or smacking the side of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

longshanks wrote: »
    Did you try giving it a good shake, or smacking the side of it?
    If you don't understand what you are talking about then please don't recommend things that could damage data.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Its definitely a hardware issue, it means the read/write head is probably touching the hard disk platter while its spinning around and generally it means the hdd is not long for this world and you're right to be looking to extract the data as quickly as possible.
    The drive will have to be removed from the external case as there's a very, very slight chance that it could be the interface hardware in the external case. It may be a motor failure or worse. But if it is a simple fix (the only time a Deadman's Click is simple is when the HD is dead), then it might be possible to recover the data without having to open the HD. The HD not being recognised is a bigger problem initially - this would require the HD being taken out of the external case and attached to a PC as an ordinary HD.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

You should try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours, its an old trick of the trade (just google it).

Theres a little bit more to it than that so read the second link for a step by step. It's pretty easy to do actually and works 95% of the time if you get it early enough which i think you will no problems.

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/discuss/ttsicm-hard-drive-freezer-trick.html

http://www.lancelhoff.com/freeze-a-clicking-hard-drive-to-recover-data/

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Don't do anything just yet. Contact me and then we see what we can do.

Clicking noise though is usually a bad sign maybe I'll be able to access it one more time.

Is there a lot of important stuff on and how big is it ?

Ironbar wrote: »
    Don't do anything just yet. Contact me and then we see what we can do.

Clicking noise though is usually a bad sign maybe I'll be able to access it one more time.

Is there a lot of important stuff on and how big is it ?

It's nearly all 5 years college work and new business ventures on it. My own fault for not backing it up
    Roughly half a TB on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 marianneh79

Had the very same problem with my harddrive.. And the guy i gave it to used the freezer trick and was able to get all my stuff of it. ill pm his name and contact to you..

Hander in the HD yesterday guys
    gave him a call today and he said there's about half the files downloaded,another half to go.
    Fingers crossed he can retain all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Post up costs?

gman2k wrote: »
    Pos
      t up costs?
      100€ starting off(to open it up etc) and pending on the amount and size of the files more.
      Will post total cost once it is received

1. Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I suppose it'll be worth it if he manages to get everything. Just hammers home the need for people to backup files. Not a dig at you OP, as you already stated so yourself.

2. Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Waste of money!

You could have done it yourself no problem at all.

3. Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I used a prog called "unstoppable copy" before on a clicking hard disk.
      The disk would connect to a PC, but after a little use the clicking would start and it would crash out. With the prog I was able to recover >99% of what was on the disk.

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ikeano29 wrote: »
      Waste of money!

You could have done it yourself no problem at all.

how is it a waste of money if he didn't know how to do it ?? , if you have nothing constructive to add to his problem, whats the point in your post ?.

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You could say the same about just about any job. You paid a plumber to do that?!! Sure you could have done that yourself.

And you just know that if ikeano came round to your house he'd do a few things and then say "well that should have worked. Yours must be REALLY fcuked.

I'd rather pay to get the job done right.

6. Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Well, the thing is it is not hard to do thats why i put up a couple of links so he could follow them and do it himself.

Only trying to help and sorry but it is a waste of money, 100euro just to open up the laptop is taking the pisss

7. Advertisement
    Advertisement