Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 06-05-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just a quick one regarding comprehensive insurance.

My girlfriend suffered a blowout the other day, luckily on a quiet country road. She lost control briefly and swerved into the grass verge. There must have been a stone or something similar in there because she ended up with a dent on the doorsill and the door itself. The car is a 2010 Fiesta which she's very good to mind so she's quite disappointed that this has happened. Since the tyres were due to be changed shortly anyway I put two new front tyres on it.

I'm just wondering would this be covered under her comp insurance or am I after damaging a possible legitimate claim by changing the tyres?

Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi folks, just a quick one regarding comprehensive insurance.

My girlfriend suffered a blowout the other day, luckily on a quiet country road. She lost control briefly and swerved into the grass verge. There must have been a stone or something similar in there because she ended up with a dent on the doorsill and the door itself. The car is a 2010 Fiesta which she's very good to mind so she's quite disappointed that this has happened. Since the tyres were due to be changed shortly anyway I put two new front tyres on it.

I'm just wondering would this be covered under her comp insurance or am I after damaging a possible legitimate claim by changing the tyres?

Any replies appreciated.

Did the insurance assessor see them before you replaced them, if not the Insurance company might claim the accident was caused by the two "defective/bald" tyres you replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Did you keep the tyres? They may want to see them to see if your girlfriend was negligent in caring for the maintenance of the occur which may resulted in the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

chris85 wrote: »
    Did you keep the tyres? They may want to see them to see if your girlfriend was negligent in caring for the maintenance of the occur which may resulted in the accident.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as you both. I didn't keep the tyres unfortunately. I never had a car good enough to justify comp insurance so it never occurred to me to keep them!! Is it worth a try anyway or should I go back to the tyre crowd to see if they still have them or should I just forget about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

FYI any claim such as this may a) not exceed the excess on the policy (in other words you'd have to pay for it anyway) and b) may affect your no claims bonus and push up next years premium.

Might be worth looking into these too first before you decide on making a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Right so, looks like its not worth the hassle and possible expense of trying to claim so.

Thanks for clearing that up folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement