Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Want To Live and Work In Canada For The Next 5 Years.....

Options
  • 06-05-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

......I am in my early 30's, I have a tertiary degree {Law Degree, UCD} I have a patchy employment record {thanks mainly to the recent economic panic}. I don't want to work in the legal sector. I don't have a criminal record.

I am not fussy- and I actually prefer to work in Alberta in the Oil Fields or the mines, I am not going for some pocket money or a working holiday, I might even be prepared to retrain and get basic qualifications for the rigs etc. I am prepared to go to really isolated places and work hard at it.

Basically I want to go over there and work myself to the bone for the period I mentioned.

I won't be making a move immediately but I do want to get on and get out within the next three months or so.

Is this realistic? What do I need and how do I go about getting it? Visa, job offer, drivers license? I understand I will also need to undergo a medical before I go out. Does anyone know what that involves?

I would be grateful for any advice people can offer about how I should go about my affairs. I am tired of waiting for things to happen over here, and I am ready to go and work 50, 60, 70 hours a week out in the back of beyond doing all sorts of diverse work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

......I am in my early 30's, I have a tertiary degree {Law Degree, UCD} I have a patchy employment record {thanks mainly to the recent economic panic}. I don't want to work in the legal sector. I don't have a criminal record.

I am not fussy- and I actually prefer to work in Alberta in the Oil Fields or the mines, I am not going for some pocket money or a working holiday, I might even be prepared to retrain and get basic qualifications for the rigs etc. I am prepared to go to really isolated places and work hard at it.

Basically I want to go over there and work myself to the bone for the period I mentioned.

I won't be making a move immediately but I do want to get on and get out within the next three months or so.

Is this realistic? What do I need and how do I go about getting it? Visa, job offer, drivers license? I understand I will also need to undergo a medical before I go out. Does anyone know what that involves?

I would be grateful for any advice people can offer about how I should go about my affairs. I am tired of waiting for things to happen over here, and I am ready to go and work 50, 60, 70 hours a week out in the back of beyond doing all sorts of diverse work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards.

The easiest way to get over here is the IEC working holiday visa.
    this is good for 12 months with the option of applying for another 12 month visa once you are under 35.
    My own advice would be to come over on an iec and try to get sponsored. Google for the terms twp and lmo to see what that entails.
    You will only need to do a medical if you plan on working in healthcare or with Kids.
    You can drive for 90 days on Irish license then you need to do the test. No biggie its not that hard.

sounds like camp life is the way to go for you. Be prepared for regular urine tests as the camps are zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol in general.

Conditions can be harsh freezing winters and boiling in summer with tonnes of mozzies.

Bear in mind oil sands are only economically viable when the price of oil is high so you may be cut loose if the price of oil drops for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Electronicus Digitalis

Thanks for that. I don't do drugs and never have done so I am ok in that regard. I am just looking for lots of hours so I can work hard and rack up the cash. Camp life doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

well if its oilsands you're after you don't really have a choice regarding camp life.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but its tougher work than is portrayed on either ice road truckers or license to drill on discovery.

Jonty wrote: »
    well if its oilsands you're after you don't really have a choice regarding camp life.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but its tougher work than is portrayed on either ice road truckers or license to drill on discovery.

Oh I can believe it. Don't get me wrong. I may be forced to settle for the secondary work which flows from the same- i.e. construction, services, security, retail etc.

I just want to work workable hours for a decent hourly rate, pump the overtime, put in my 3 years and see where I stand.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Toronto10

Visa Quota is down around 440...you will not get this visa this year imo which means your 3 months aim is doubtful. Also this lifestyle is tougher than it seems.

• Advertisement

Toronto10 wrote: »
    Visa Quota is down around 440...you will not get this visa this year imo which means your 3 months aim is doubtful. Also this lifestyle is tougher than it seems.

Sorry I am brand new to this, how does this Visa Quota system work? Thanks.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

There are a certain amount of visas allocated each year. The current quota this year was 5350 and there are now only 461 remaining. There is a MAJOR backlog due to the demand so even if you were to apply NOW there is no guarantee that you will get yours before the quota is reached. I applied for my 3rd year in February and I still haven't received confirmation that I have received mine. Therefore I find it doubtful that you will be awarded one before the quota is reached EVEN if you do apply now. (Sorry if this seems negative but I'm trying to be truthful so you don't get your hopes up too much). Next years Quota will not be released until Dec 2012/Jan 2013 I would think.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

There are a certain amount of visas allocated each year. The current quota this year was 5350 and there are now only 461 remaining. There is a MAJOR backlog due to the demand so even if you were to apply NOW there is no guarantee that you will get yours before the quota is reached. I applied for my 3rd year in February and I still haven't received confirmation that I have received mine. Therefore I find it doubtful that you will be awarded one before the quota is reached EVEN if you do apply now. (Sorry if this seems negative but I'm trying to be truthful so you don't get your hopes up too much). Next years Quota will not be released until Dec 2012/Jan 2013 I would think.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, thanks for the information, it is appreciated.

How do I even go about starting the application process?

Thanks and good luck.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

This is pretty much a step by step guide to applying directly. It is pretty straight forward but the timescale at the moment seems to be approximately 3 months before you will even hear if you are accepted.

Any questions, don't hesitate.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

This is pretty much a step by step guide to applying directly. It is pretty straight forward but the timescale at the moment seems to be approximately 3 months before you will even hear if you are accepted.

Any questions, don't hesitate.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. Kind regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishInCalgary

They wont let you near a rig unless you have all the right certs in place. First Aid, WHMIS, H2SAlive and a bunch of others

Advertisement