Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graffiti or Art

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Love this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Who's is this Banksy? Somebody google that **** for me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Of course it's art, Captain Namesake, but all that tagging that kids do isn't, and I'm not even too mad about the Wildstyle tagging. Looks nice, but has no worth.
    Check out Maclaim, those guys are unbelieberable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Never really looked at his stuff but some of the ones in that video are class, I really like the "keep your coins" one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm just waiting for the arty know-it-all types who will enter the thread and say Banksy is too mainstream and it was all done years ago by what-his-face.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pics like that are art, anto loves natalie 4ever is graffiti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think it can be art if it's done properly, like Banksy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Graffiti is an Art , but if Art is a crime how come picasso never did crime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Well banksy is pretty special and it is art... Classified as graffiti, but
    he's brilliant!

Mind you walking under a bridge and seeing something like

"Smithy is Bent" (you can insert any name or profanity, Legal bit, this is just an example and is no way indicates that smithy is bent)

Not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've no problem with Banksy. It's the illegible crap "tagged" all over the place I can't stand. Load of boll*cks so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive a graffiti artist tag on my arm as tattoo as due to some deep thinking and it stays with me all the time...

To me its typography, on the streets the good stuff..

banksey has amazing skill and is exceptionally cheeky with his use of what he does.. I which he would quite the stenciling and stupid painting of banana pulp fiction stuff it humorous play on things... Its play full art half the time... Then some sort of a statement to modern politics...

I dunno i try to apricate most good types of graffiti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

On a wall in Tralee it says:

"Pigs are smell"

Best piece of graffiti I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm fine with artistically done graffiti - but rubbish tags like some idiot's name, or w/e, I can't stand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Let's just call it Gart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I started a similar thread in T&C a few years back. :)

If its done right its art other than that its vandalism, there is very few "taggers" in Dublin that I would call any way near artists.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61108566

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

If you like portrait graffiti check out el mac, mto and transtheir stuff is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

If it done nice it.

picture.php?pictureid=12880&albumid=2106&dl=1337352268&thumb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

in naas in kildare, on a wall is written "due to the lack of interest, tomorrow has been cancelled." i don't know if it's still there but it cracked me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Banksy has skills no doubt but then again being better than your average whatever doesn't mean you get a carte blanche to keep breaking the law.

Anyway, anyone know where he happens to live so I can go do some of my art at his place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

How to make art like Banksy:

Step 01: Make a war stencil.
    Step 02: Add pop culture thing.
    Step 03: ???
    Step 04: NO PROFIT!

It's art, I just think Banksy is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Is that what you think? Came across a Banksy book in the gift shop of an art museum in Paris couple of years ago.... foreword by Banksy and a little commentary on the photos of various pieces......... something like £29.99STG RRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

FatherLen wrote: »
    in naas in kildare, on a wall is written "due to the lack of interest, tomorrow has been cancelled." i don't know if it's still there but it cracked me up!
    Unoriginal though, old book title and recent Kaiser Chiefs lyrics.

Graffiti is art, so are sketches, but you can understand why your biro doodle on a post-it isn't. Artistic merit and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

This is my favourite piece of graffiti art.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1682/sxcrl.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Let's just call it Gart

I was thinking Graffarti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

prinz wrote: »
    Is that what you think? Came across a Banksy book in the gift shop of an art museum in Paris couple of years ago.... foreword by Banksy and a little commentary on the photos of various pieces......... something like £29.99STG RRP.

From my understanding, the money he would receive goes to various charities and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

"Stop Kony".

I hate graffiti so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

How to make art like Banksy:

Step 01: Make a war stencil.
    Step 02: Add pop culture thing.
    Step 03: ???

It's art, I just think Banksy is crap.

you can have your opinions but to me this is hilarious, clever and art , http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/12/article-1034538-021FF321000004B0-566_306x572.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Banksy back to celebrate the Queen's diamond jubilee in North London

banksy-norht-london-england-uk-street-art.jpeg

Banksy rat in Melbourne destroyed which he painted in the late 1990s by builders
    http://gu.com/p/37jpq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

dont like banksy he uses stencils,i like free hand i dont like most of the **** in dublin because its just dopey kids,however there are a handfull of very skillfull freehand graffiti artists in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's art until someone does it on the side of your house.

Banksy probably said that originally....he seems like a bit of a rent-a-quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Someone has to be the know-it-all arty type in this thread so I'm just going to say it.

Banksy's art is good but he worked for years to get a break and his 'art' has become the antithesis to what people like him stand for. His pieces sell for thousands of pounds now in auctions which totally goes against his, and his fellow artists', philosophy on art - which is that money should not be brought into the equation. Street art and graffiti is a way of subverting capitalism, which is a bit of an oxymoron, when, as an artist, you go and sell the stuff that's meant to be speaking out against the system.

There are thousands of graffiti and street artists worldwide who are just as good (and some, even better), than Banksy, but are unwilling to pimp their creations in a gallery or auction. At the same time, there is another sizeable majority of street artists for whom it has been possible to make a living from their art by selling it, something street artists 15-20 years ago were unable to do. So while I don't believe in Banksy's business plan personally, I can see that it is good for artists. And he's a super talented guy, regardless of his philosophy on money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I think it can be art... If it looks great and it's funny and interesting at times. Or if it makes you think... just like there's some modern art hanging in museums which I personally don't consider to be real art. A pile of green gloves on the floor is not my idea of art (saw that once in a museum..).

As for Banksy I really like his stuff.
    Love this one, have a poster of it in my room:
    banksy+yellow+line+flower.jpg

Love this as well, the Little People Project:
    http://little-people.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

facemelter wrote: »
    Graffiti is an Art , but if Art is a crime how come picasso never did crime ?

Because while Graffiti may be art, not all art is graffiti...and how do you know he never committed a crime...:D

Decently done graffiti with some sort of message or beauty is art. Someone tagging their name or similar is not art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Are both mutually exclusive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement