Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you'd like to do as dictator

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'd ban tights on ladies. They must wear stockings and suspenders instead.

Those that break the law will get 6 lashes of the cane :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Finish the ghost estates and move the underclasses to them. Out of site, out of mind.

A tax on overweight people who do not have health insurance. Reduced tax on drink and cigarettes for people who do have health insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Ban transit vans for the long term unemployed.
    Ban tabloid newspapers and the people who jump on their .bandwagons.
    Ban Lidl kornflakes. They're rank.
    Ban people from walking around with their polo sort collars up.
    Shoot Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Get a really nice suit. A really nice one.

I'm sure I'd think of more once the suit is sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

chughes wrote: »
    I'd ban tights on ladies. They must wear stockings and suspenders instead.

Those that break the law will get 6 lashes of the cane :D

Beth Ditto must be following this thread! http://www.glossynews.com/artman/uploads/uk-banned-list-beth-ditto.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

mark_jmc wrote: »
    "Introduce a new higher rat tax"

down with rat taxes

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Punishment for showing a lack of basic manners, not saying thanks/ apologising to people who have the decency to help you, barging through crowds and the like, (some wagon hit me a jostle this morning going into tesco! :pac:).
    They could have a choice of punishments, 10 years in prison, 10 years of manual labour (on the bog or somewhere doing actual work), or if they have a valuable skill, 10 years doing it for food and shelter, for the government, no comforts. Can't see them bringing it in though, not until I'm in power!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Id be done for, genocide before the months over :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Old Tom wrote: »
    I'd move all the junkies and skangers to a ghetto without ANY privileges.

Me too.

I'd pick Dalkey/Killiney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I'd take every part of the Defence Forces up a notch - Eurofighters, Ospreys, Apaches, more helicopters, C-130s for the Air Corps, more heavy equipment for the Army, more vessels including frigates, subs, and maybe even a small aircraft carrier for the Naval Service. Then join NATO. I'd love to see our country with a large and advanced armed forces although I've no idea what I would use it all for. :D

Fund oil and gas exploration off the coast of Ireland.

Adopt a Finnish-style education system. Abolish homework, standardised testing, uniforms and compulsory Irish in our schools.

Fund an Irish Sea tunnell to connect Ireland to Britain. (It's actually been proposed before)

More funding for hospitals. A lot more funding....

Deport Roma Gypsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I think you just described Germany to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think I'd be fairly brutal, worryingly I have a psychotic side that if fueled with power and dominance could lead to people been killed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think I'd be fairly brutal, worryingly I have a psychotic side that if fueled with power and dominance could lead to people been killed. :(

I said that already :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Absolute power goes to nearly everyone's heads. Why do you think most dictatorships end extremely badly for the general population-Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Pavelic, Idi Amin, Ceausescu, Kim Jong Il, Gadaffi, Al-Assad, Niyazov,Pinochet, the Argentinian junta etc.-not a great track record at all....

Tito, Castro and Ataturk (if you can consider him a dictator) did quite well though, all things considered.

Chances are the majority of people would go crazy with all that power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd ban commuters from town (yes all of them).
    More Bus, Luas and Rail services.

Who will use them if there are no commuters?

• Advertisement

Absolute power goes to nearly everyone's heads. Why do you think most dictatorships end extremely badly for the general population-Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Pavelic, Idi Amin, Ceausescu, Kim Jong Il, Gadaffi, Al-Assad, Niyazov,Pinochet, the Argentinian junta etc.-not a great track record at all....

Tito, Castro and Ataturk (if you can consider him a dictator) did quite well though, all things considered.

Chances are the majority of people would go crazy with all that power!

So do a small bit of dictatin', put things in order then call elections?

eth0 wrote: »
    So do a small bit of dictatin', put things in order then call elections?

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If I was in charge some of the things I would do would be:

Remove Petrol Excise taxation and install a price cap of €1.10/litre for Petrol and Diesel. Remove taxation and encourage Auto Gas at 50c/litre.

Stop Welfare to non-Citizens, if you are not Irish and not working here then don't depend on your new country to support you. PRSI Jobseekers Benefit (Your Contributions excluded) No dole for outsiders.

Cut the Public and Civil service numbers and wages.

Remove Religion and the Irish language from state schools.

Tax Religions, all Religions to be taxed on their income

Church Tax, The state to collect around 40% of Church and Religious income.

Gay Marriage and equal rights for homosexual and transsexual couples

More state control of important strategic resources and important industries

Nationalisation of all Oil and Gas Industries, ran for the profit of the people and not invisible overseas foreign investors.

Legalised, taxed and Regulated Prostitution

Legalised Cannabis, Regulated and taxed at sensible levels to discourage illegal drugs trade.

Increased and improved levels of infrastructure, Motorways to every county in Ireland, road tolls abolished. High-speed rail between the main cities.

Liberalised Gun Laws, Handguns for law abiding citizens for self-defense, right to shoot and kill intruders.

Large amount of price controls set in place for important commodities, stable foods to be regulated and stop the likes of Tesco making billions off the Irish peoples right to food and to eat.

Increased subsidies for women who want to have children, money should never be an obstacle to having children. Women and familys at the very core of social and economic policy.

Reinstate the Death Penalty for the most serious crimes like premeditated murder and treason, I'd personally open the gallows door myself to hang Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Stinicker wrote: »
    If I was in charge some of the things I would do would be:

Remove Petrol Excise taxation and install a price cap of €1.10/litre for Petrol and Diesel. Remove taxation and encourage Auto Gas at 50c/litre.

Stop Welfare to non-Citizens, if you are not Irish and not working here then don't depend on your new country to support you. PRSI Jobseekers Benefit (Your Contributions excluded) No dole for outsiders.

Cut the Public and Civil service numbers and wages.

Remove Religion and the Irish language from state schools.

Tax Religions, all Religions to be taxed on their income

Church Tax, The state to collect around 40% of Church and Religious income.

Gay Marriage and equal rights for homosexual and transsexual couples

More state control of important strategic resources and important industries

Nationalisation of all Oil and Gas Industries, ran for the profit of the people and not invisible overseas foreign investors.

Legalised, taxed and Regulated Prostitution

Legalised Cannabis, Regulated and taxed at sensible levels to discourage illegal drugs trade.

Increased and improved levels of infrastructure, Motorways to every county in Ireland, road tolls abolished. High-speed rail between the main cities.

Liberalised Gun Laws, Handguns for law abiding citizens for self-defense, right to shoot and kill intruders.

Large amount of price controls set in place for important commodities, stable foods to be regulated and stop the likes of Tesco making billions off the Irish peoples right to food and to eat.

Increased subsidies for women who want to have children, money should never be an obstacle to having children. Women and familys at the very core of social and economic policy.

Reinstate the Death Penalty for the most serious crimes like premeditated murder and treason, I'd personally open the gallows door myself to hang Bertie Ahern.
    Very nice, but I have to disagree on the death penalty I think.
    I don't see why so many people want to see it reintroduced. If I was going to prison for the rest of my life I'd just slits my wrist in the bath and bleed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    I'd take every part of the Defence Forces up a notch - Eurofighters, Ospreys, Apaches, more helicopters, C-130s for the Air Corps, more heavy equipment for the Army, more vessels including frigates, subs, and maybe even a small aircraft carrier for the Naval Service. Then join NATO. I'd love to see our country with a large and advanced armed forces although I've no idea what I would use it all for. :D

Fund oil and gas exploration off the coast of Ireland.

Adopt a Finnish-style education system. Abolish homework, standardised testing, uniforms and compulsory Irish in our schools.

Fund an Irish Sea tunnell to connect Ireland to Britain. (It's actually been proposed before)

More funding for hospitals. A lot more funding....

Deport Roma Gypsies.

Improving the military that much wont go unnoticed to other nations, it would look as if we were about to invade somewhere or start a war. Then those nosy Americans would get involved saying ''the only way we can win is if we bomb them before we attack'' .... Then were gonners and you cant inforce the rest of your rules as we would all be dead.

I just realised I think these things through way too mcuch :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'd travel with the Boys In Green and in every single match they play I'd be brought on as an 89th minute sub to score the winning goal. I'd also be armed with a Kalashnikov in case anyone is stupid enough to try and stop me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My first move as dictator would be to make Teddy my right hand man. The Chemical Ali to my Saddam.
    Then I'd get this shit sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Tear down the Irish constitution and re-build it from the ground up focusing around freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Tear down the Irish constitution and re-build it from the ground up focusing around freedom of speech and freedom of expression.
    No, we have enough stupid people giving their opinions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Linkus

I'd turn Ireland into a giant theme park.
    Nothing would change only that people have to pay to get in, instead of being paid to stay.

Invade some 3rd world countries, force them to learn Irish so at least when they manage to sneak into Ireland after I'm gone they'll speak our native language

Stinicker wrote: »

Really can't agree with this, far too Fascist for my liking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

first order of business is changing the name of this country, its now called bananarama and the national anthem is venus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I would call an emergency meeting of every vet in Ireland.
    I would then give each and every one of them a syringe and a vial of cyanide.
    I would then instruct my minions to go across the length and breadth of this land and to search out a creature that has been multiplying at an alarming rate throughout the land.
    I am am animal lover but f*ck me the amount of high horses around this country is out of control and must be dealt with as soon as I become Regent Supreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

'Cross of Honour of the German Mother' comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

St.Spodo wrote: »
    'Cross of Honour of the German Mother' comes to mind.

To be fair, the Soviet Union also had Order of Maternal Glory and the Maternity Medal, so it's an idea that seems to be popular at either end of the political spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Zaph wrote: »
    To be fair, the Soviet Union also had Order of Maternal Glory and the Maternity Medal, so it's an idea that seems to be popular at either end of the political spectrum.

"Damn Commie Nazis! Go Panties!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6ctonQoGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

marketty wrote: »
    Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others

maybe off-topic, but where does this saying come from? what does it mean? Been hearing it a lot lately. I feel very ignorant

maybe off-topic, but where does this saying come from? what does it mean? Been hearing it a lot lately. I feel very ignorant

I first seen it about 5 years ago or more and still haven't a clue where in the f*ck it came from or what it's supposed to be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd smash the unions

No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

eth0 wrote: »
    I first seen it about 5 years ago or more and still haven't a clue where in the f*ck it came from or what it's supposed to be about.

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

NothingMan wrote: »
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos!

Yes we Kang 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Have a bit of time to kill, so why not :D

The Education System
    -Change the school hours to 8am to 6pm, including primary school and colleges. There would be no such thing as "half days" on Wednesday or 3 hour lunch breaks between lectures.

-Remove the patronage of religious organisations from our education system

-Remove any and all religious instruction from the schools. However, an optional hour would be dedicated at the end of each day if the children wanted to learn about religion. They would be taught by volunteers from the relevant religious organisations and there would be no obligation to stick to the one, they could attend a different one each night if they so wished, or none at all.
    This would not be paid for by the taxpayer/state and there would be a charge levied on all participating religious organisations to cover the costs of electricity/security/etc. provided for them to hold their optional classes in.

-Religious ceremonies, such as communion and confirmation, would not be held during the school term. They would be made to be held during the summer months. There would be no state subsidies or welfare payments made to assist in funding religious ceremonies.

-Removal of Irish from the syllabus and have the teaching of it relegated to being an optional module held at the end of the school day. Like with religions, the space would be provided for volunteer Irish teachers to hold classes, however the parents of the children who wished to learn the language would pay for the electricity/security/etc.

-The introduction of science from an earlier age, as early as possible really.

-Modularisation of the second level syllabus. Some core subjects and then the students pick from a list of other subjects to make up the overall course they wish to study for the year, for every year throughout the 6 years of second level education.

-Mandatory montessori/pre-schooling to get kids learning how to spell and use numbers at an earlier age.

-The construction of a board that would immediately review teacher/lecturer performance to date and coupled with peer reviews, fire those who have failed to perform over X amount of years. Accountability would be the word going forward and anyone in education who is shown to not be doing a good job will be relieved of their position.

-Pay capped to €40,000 per year, for everyone in the education system.

-"Student contribution" made a mandatory contribution but of an optional amount equal or greater than €100.

-No more summers off. Instead, the summers would be used to hold part-time courses aimed at exploring careers and future education, for learning modules not available during the school year, for field trips, for trips abroad etc. to museums and more. Everyone, both student and academic staff, would receive the same time off as their private sector counterparts.

-If you emigrate immediately after graduation, you're susceptible to taxes until the cost of your education has been paid off.

-Encourage private organisations to invest in our schools or colleges as they do in the US, to provide the students with top of the range access to everything from technology to sports.

Religion

-Remove and ban all religious icons or displays from public places, state owned buildings, etc. You would be as entitled to wear a cross as you would be to wear a burka (i.e not).

-Sieze the land and assets of the Catholic Church and rent them back to them until a point in time that they have paid the entire compensation agreed for their abuse victims

-Introduce a tax of 50% on the income of religious organisations

-Use the money gained through the tax to carry out renovation work on religious buildings so that all are relieved of their state of grandness or grandeur and look the same as one another.

-Any noncompliance would be met with a cease of service in the relevant buildings and the buildings being turned into public health service centres.

-Hold a televised and public event every X months in which electives of the various religions come together to first of all teach the public about their religion, what it entails, its history, etc. Secondly, to publicly debate with one another on set religious topics. This would open people's minds to the different religions and remove the "All muslims are terrorists" kind of mentality that prevails here.

The Public/Civil Service & Social Welfare

-Instant pay cap of €40,000 to all those being paid from the public purse. It would be up to the various departments how they enacted this i.e if the upper pay limit is €40,000 then they'll probably want to drop the junior employees pay in line with the drop that the management receive.

-Absolute accountability. If you're doing a bad job, you won't have a job to do badly at.

-Use savings to hire more Gardai, Fire Service people and health service (non-admin) staff.

-Work4Dole scheme initialized immediately. Half the working week(20 of 40 hours) would be mandatory community service by those receiving social welfare,rotating between mornings->afternoon and afternoon-evening shifts, so that the dolers could have ample time to conduct interviews and sort out cvs and still be contributing to society.

-Receipts must be shown to the dole office for the purchases the previous weeks payment was used on. No fags/booze/holidays/etc would be paid for by the taxpayer. Any discrepancies between the figures would be met with an instant reduction in the next weeks payment.

-No dole for those living with their parents.

-Long time dole recipients become full time time community service employees. No more half week spent clearing litter or similar, you'd be doing it 40 hours per week and any dicking about gets your payment stopped.

-Anyone found trying to create a lifestyle from the social welfare, such as young girls getting pregnant to get themselves a free house + cash per month, would be dealt with appropriately. Children in such situations would be rehomed to better families who could give them the right opportunities and environment to get the most out of life.

-Out of the country? No dole for you. No welfare payments for kids you have living abroad, no payments while you're out of the country yourself.

-Anyone found to be doing nixers or working for cash in hand would permanently have their access to social welfare removed.

-The removal of social housing from town or city centres. Existing social housing, such as the blocks of flats in Dublin City Centre, would be cleared out and donated to colleges/schools or people who wish to open museums, galleries, etc. Very large blocks of flats would be constructed on the outskirts of the towns and a service would be provided to get those involved in the work4dole scheme to their places of employment/service.

-Dramatic decrease in rent allowance that is currently acting as an artificial floor in the rental market.

-Broadening of the tax bands. Those on minimum wage would be now liable for tax, those with very large incomes would pay a little bit extra also. Not a lot extra though, but a few % extra from the very top.

Business & Enterprise
    -Removal of the corporation tax rate. These companies are creating jobs (thus generating PAYE), generating VAT, etc. I want to incentivize them to stay here and expand.

-Cap the amount a hotel or similar can charge for a room. It's currently more expensive to holiday at home than it is to go abroad, this is ridiculous.

-Cap the price of alcohol.

-Cap the rent charged to entertainment establishments, be it a bar, cinema or theatre.

-Open up the country and its grids, line the west with wind and wave energy farms and actually make use of the potential this country has.

-Removal of time off for religious ceremonies

-Increase in holiday leave minimum to 30+ days per year.

-Mandatory parental leave for men to spend more time with their children

Medical Care
    -€25 cap placed on the amount a GP can charge for a visit.

-Cap placed on the amount a landlord can charge rent to a medical centre/gp's office per month

-Cap placed on the mortgage payments on mortgages given to medical centres/gp's offices/etc.

-Service providers would be obliged to provide these centres and offices with free electricity, water, etc.

-Two tier rate system put in place - one higher rate for smokers and the obese, a lower rate for non-smokers and those who manage their diet well.

-Dolers would be brought in to provide cleaning, maintenance and general assistance services to the above on the work4dole scheme.

Society

-Legalisation of all drugs and the establishment of safe places for people to avail and use of them. The one condition associated with it is that you wouldn't be allowed out in public while still under the influence of the drugs you choose to use in these places. All drugs manufactured, quality tested and controlled in Ireland, with a large tax on their sale.

-Anyone caught under the influence of drugs in public would be sterilized.

-Anyone caught importing, sourcing or distributing illegitimate drugs would be dealt with very harshly.

-Legalisation of prostitution and the establishment (be it state or private organisations) of safe places to avail of prostitutes and for prostitutes to offer their services. Everyone involved would be health tested. Those managing these establishments and prostitutes would be strictly monitored to protect both the customer and the service provider.

-People offering prostitution services outside of these establishments would be dealt with very harshly.

-The introduction of unconditional access to free family planning and abortion services.

-Dramatically more investment in museums,galleries and science exhibition. Provided free to the public, the visiting of which would be mandatory in the education system.

-More nationwide festivals in everything from the arts and science to the cultures of the different people living here. Large, regular celebrations of the accomplishments of man and nature and exposing people to things they current are never exposed to, or are actively prejudiced over currently.

-Let bars open 24/7

-Introduce heavy fines for those who cause trouble under the influence of alcohol, particularly those who end up using public resources such as the Gardai or health service when they wouldn't have needed to if they hadn't drank themselves out of control.

-Removal of gender based equality legislation. This is bull****.

-Lots of other good ****.

Vote for me, 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I can't tell if your extreme left or right... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I would give the travellers minority status, double their dole and turn Sean Dunnes Ballsbridge Hotel into a massive campervan site for them to move into just for the hilarity that would ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Thrace

I'd make politicians fight bankers to the death armed only with a snooker ball in football sock each. Debt matches I'd call em.

Have a bit of time to kill, so why not :D

The Education System
    -Change the school hours to 8am to 6pm, including primary school and colleges. There would be no such thing as "half days" on Wednesday or 3 hour lunch breaks between lectures.

-Remove the patronage of religious organisations from our education system

-Remove any and all religious instruction from the schools. However, an optional hour would be dedicated at the end of each day if the children wanted to learn about religion. They would be taught by volunteers from the relevant religious organisations and there would be no obligation to stick to the one, they could attend a different one each night if they so wished, or none at all.
    This would not be paid for by the taxpayer/state and there would be a charge levied on all participating religious organisations to cover the costs of electricity/security/etc. provided for them to hold their optional classes in.

-Religious ceremonies, such as communion and confirmation, would not be held during the school term. They would be made to be held during the summer months. There would be no state subsidies or welfare payments made to assist in funding religious ceremonies.

-Removal of Irish from the syllabus and have the teaching of it relegated to being an optional module held at the end of the school day. Like with religions, the space would be provided for volunteer Irish teachers to hold classes, however the parents of the children who wished to learn the language would pay for the electricity/security/etc.

-The introduction of science from an earlier age, as early as possible really.

-Modularisation of the second level syllabus. Some core subjects and then the students pick from a list of other subjects to make up the overall course they wish to study for the year, for every year throughout the 6 years of second level education.

-Mandatory montessori/pre-schooling to get kids learning how to spell and use numbers at an earlier age.

-The construction of a board that would immediately review teacher/lecturer performance to date and coupled with peer reviews, fire those who have failed to perform over X amount of years. Accountability would be the word going forward and anyone in education who is shown to not be doing a good job will be relieved of their position.

-Pay capped to €40,000 per year, for everyone in the education system.

-"Student contribution" made a mandatory contribution but of an optional amount equal or greater than €100.

-No more summers off. Instead, the summers would be used to hold part-time courses aimed at exploring careers and future education, for learning modules not available during the school year, for field trips, for trips abroad etc. to museums and more. Everyone, both student and academic staff, would receive the same time off as their private sector counterparts.

-If you emigrate immediately after graduation, you're susceptible to taxes until the cost of your education has been paid off.

-Encourage private organisations to invest in our schools or colleges as they do in the US, to provide the students with top of the range access to everything from technology to sports.

Religion

-Remove and ban all religious icons or displays from public places, state owned buildings, etc. You would be as entitled to wear a cross as you would be to wear a burka (i.e not).

-Sieze the land and assets of the Catholic Church and rent them back to them until a point in time that they have paid the entire compensation agreed for their abuse victims

-Introduce a tax of 50% on the income of religious organisations

-Use the money gained through the tax to carry out renovation work on religious buildings so that all are relieved of their state of grandness or grandeur and look the same as one another.

-Any noncompliance would be met with a cease of service in the relevant buildings and the buildings being turned into public health service centres.

-Hold a televised and public event every X months in which electives of the various religions come together to first of all teach the public about their religion, what it entails, its history, etc. Secondly, to publicly debate with one another on set religious topics. This would open people's minds to the different religions and remove the "All muslims are terrorists" kind of mentality that prevails here.

The Public/Civil Service & Social Welfare

-Instant pay cap of €40,000 to all those being paid from the public purse. It would be up to the various departments how they enacted this i.e if the upper pay limit is €40,000 then they'll probably want to drop the junior employees pay in line with the drop that the management receive.

-Absolute accountability. If you're doing a bad job, you won't have a job to do badly at.

-Use savings to hire more Gardai, Fire Service people and health service (non-admin) staff.

-Work4Dole scheme initialized immediately. Half the working week(20 of 40 hours) would be mandatory community service by those receiving social welfare,rotating between mornings->afternoon and afternoon-evening shifts, so that the dolers could have ample time to conduct interviews and sort out cvs and still be contributing to society.

-Receipts must be shown to the dole office for the purchases the previous weeks payment was used on. No fags/booze/holidays/etc would be paid for by the taxpayer. Any discrepancies between the figures would be met with an instant reduction in the next weeks payment.

-No dole for those living with their parents.

-Long time dole recipients become full time time community service employees. No more half week spent clearing litter or similar, you'd be doing it 40 hours per week and any dicking about gets your payment stopped.

-Anyone found trying to create a lifestyle from the social welfare, such as young girls getting pregnant to get themselves a free house + cash per month, would be dealt with appropriately. Children in such situations would be rehomed to better families who could give them the right opportunities and environment to get the most out of life.

-Out of the country? No dole for you. No welfare payments for kids you have living abroad, no payments while you're out of the country yourself.

-Anyone found to be doing nixers or working for cash in hand would permanently have their access to social welfare removed.

-The removal of social housing from town or city centres. Existing social housing, such as the blocks of flats in Dublin City Centre, would be cleared out and donated to colleges/schools or people who wish to open museums, galleries, etc. Very large blocks of flats would be constructed on the outskirts of the towns and a service would be provided to get those involved in the work4dole scheme to their places of employment/service.

-Dramatic decrease in rent allowance that is currently acting as an artificial floor in the rental market.

-Broadening of the tax bands. Those on minimum wage would be now liable for tax, those with very large incomes would pay a little bit extra also. Not a lot extra though, but a few % extra from the very top.

Business & Enterprise
    -Removal of the corporation tax rate. These companies are creating jobs (thus generating PAYE), generating VAT, etc. I want to incentivize them to stay here and expand.

-Cap the amount a hotel or similar can charge for a room. It's currently more expensive to holiday at home than it is to go abroad, this is ridiculous.

-Cap the price of alcohol.

-Cap the rent charged to entertainment establishments, be it a bar, cinema or theatre.

-Open up the country and its grids, line the west with wind and wave energy farms and actually make use of the potential this country has.

-Removal of time off for religious ceremonies

-Increase in holiday leave minimum to 30+ days per year.

-Mandatory parental leave for men to spend more time with their children

Medical Care
    -€25 cap placed on the amount a GP can charge for a visit.

-Cap placed on the amount a landlord can charge rent to a medical centre/gp's office per month

-Cap placed on the mortgage payments on mortgages given to medical centres/gp's offices/etc.

-Service providers would be obliged to provide these centres and offices with free electricity, water, etc.

-Two tier rate system put in place - one higher rate for smokers and the obese, a lower rate for non-smokers and those who manage their diet well.

-Dolers would be brought in to provide cleaning, maintenance and general assistance services to the above on the work4dole scheme.

Society

-Legalisation of all drugs and the establishment of safe places for people to avail and use of them. The one condition associated with it is that you wouldn't be allowed out in public while still under the influence of the drugs you choose to use in these places. All drugs manufactured, quality tested and controlled in Ireland, with a large tax on their sale.

-Anyone caught under the influence of drugs in public would be sterilized.

-Anyone caught importing, sourcing or distributing illegitimate drugs would be dealt with very harshly.

-Legalisation of prostitution and the establishment (be it state or private organisations) of safe places to avail of prostitutes and for prostitutes to offer their services. Everyone involved would be health tested. Those managing these establishments and prostitutes would be strictly monitored to protect both the customer and the service provider.

-People offering prostitution services outside of these establishments would be dealt with very harshly.

-The introduction of unconditional access to free family planning and abortion services.

-Dramatically more investment in museums,galleries and science exhibition. Provided free to the public, the visiting of which would be mandatory in the education system.

-More nationwide festivals in everything from the arts and science to the cultures of the different people living here. Large, regular celebrations of the accomplishments of man and nature and exposing people to things they current are never exposed to, or are actively prejudiced over currently.

-Let bars open 24/7

-Introduce heavy fines for those who cause trouble under the influence of alcohol, particularly those who end up using public resources such as the Gardai or health service when they wouldn't have needed to if they hadn't drank themselves out of control.

-Removal of gender based equality legislation. This is bull****.

-Lots of other good ****.

Vote for me, 2015.
    Sounds like a mix of Soviet Russia and the USA. Otherwise hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

cursai wrote: »
    Sounds like a mix of Soviet Russia and the USA. Otherwise hell.
    Spot the dole scrounger.

• Advertisement

Spot the dole scrounger.

Not on social welfare. Never claimed. Don't begrudge those how genuinely need it. Spot the spoiled poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd send scumbags to a gulag on Tory island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I would use my influence to over throw the French president and install a puppet socialist President............
    Yeah you heard me.....

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'd send scumbags to a gulag on Tory island.

What a waste of a perfectly good Tory Island. Besides the place could never hold them all

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Oh my goodness. This thread is terrifying. I'd love to fast forward 10 years in any one of these alternative societies and see how successful they are. Most of them are completely unworkable IMO.

My favourite was the "abortions for anyone whose child I will be paying for"...**** me i know it's AH but you need help !

Most of the suggestions seem money driven and forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't that where the problems start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement