Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ostrich eggs

Options
  • 06-05-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could get Ostrich eggs in Ireland?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

I know Fallon and Byrne got ostrich meat in during the year, so I'd imagine there was the possibility they had or could get eggs too.

I'd say you will be paying a lot for one, and they are really hard to open from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Is it just the shell you want or the whole egg? I know of a guy that tasted one years ago, he said the smell alone was terrible, let alone the taste. I know that pallas foods sell ostrich meat/burgers but haven't seen any eggs in their book. You could ask them, they might be able to help. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try contacting Teagasc to see if they have a list of ostrich farmers. Maybe you could buy the eggs direct...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Butchers in terenure does ostrich

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Try contacting Teagasc to see if they have a list of ostrich farmers. Maybe you could buy the eggs direct...

I always assumes that the exotic meat available, like ostrich, ewok, kangaroo etc was imported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I know that there deffo is/was one ostrich farm outside Belfast. They supplied the meat direct to The Morning Star pub up there that I used to eat in regularly. Some family connection between them iirc.

Advertisement