Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult would this site be to develop?

Options
  • 06-05-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

An idea I am interested in setting up would be a site where people can log into their own section and submit sports betting selections, a write up on why they chose that bet and the odds for the selection.

After each event is finished they log in and select if the bet won or lost.

After each winning or losing selection is determined the site automatically updates their running total, overall return on investment, level stakes return on investment and yield.

Other member won't be able to see their selections and stats but I will be able to see how well each member is doing and easily be able to rank all members by profit, yield, return on investment or number of bets made.

What would you estimate the cost of employing someone to build this site at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

I would say a minimum of €5k would be enough for a competent person to be willing to do this.

Ideally you would have the system automatically verify whether a bet is won or lost rather than rely on individuals to be honest. Such features will inflate costs.

Why would you expect people to be so willing as to provide you with this info if they do not have the benefit of being able to see the selections and stats of others?

(All above based on the assumption that this is proposed as being a public website rather than just something for you and your gambling buddies.)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

sounds pretty similar to OLBG

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

It would be a trial system, one part of the interview process and not a gambling website available to the public to see others stats or selections.

There is not going to be a dedicated staff to automatically update the stats or list all the bets offered by the books as this site is not geared towards making a profit.

e5k seems on the high side for something relatively straightforward?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

arbitrage wrote: »

It became less relatively straightforward when you introduced the word 'automatically'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The actual functionality doesn't sound particularly difficult. A fairly simple PHP/SQL set-up would handle it. A decent final-year IT student would be able to handle it. If you're just doing it as a proof-of-concept, and there's no particular deadlines etc, that's the way to go, get someone to take it on as a side-project, preferably someone actually involved with the project. No/minimal worries about site-design, scalability, security, etc. etc.

If you actually want a professional website, that's a whole other ball-game, and you will be looking at €5k, probably more

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

MagicRon wrote: »
    arbitrage wrote:
    It became less relatively straightforward when you introduced the word 'automatically'
    arbitrage wrote: »
    After each winning or losing selection is determined the site automatically updates their running total, overall return on investment, level stakes return on investment and yield.

Yeah, it's straightforward to update a user's record with stake × odds & tally up with their running total, but it's about where you're getting the data to determine whether the bet won or lost.

Do you have access to this data, or are you looking for the developer to aggregate it from online sources. & if so, what sports are you covering — everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

The user would log back into the site and click an option to say if the bet won or lost as to aggregate it from a third party source would be too time consuming.

If the user then meets certain requirements I will verify that all their selections were chosen before the event started and they chose the correct outcome for each selection.

Basically what I am looking for is a site that takes minimal upkeep and I can easily filter all users by the criteria mentioned previously.

The interface of the site would only need to be quite basic and I would only need to verify a small percentage of the total userbase results as the requirements will be quite high and in that case I will manually verify the results.

Advertisement