Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In need of serious help! IRISH :(

• 06-05-2012 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Heey, So basically I really need advice on doing well in Irish.
    I'm in fifth year now, and I know the Leaving Cert is ageees away for me, but I need to start working.

I really want to be a Primary school teacher (aiming to go to St.Pats)
    Which I'd need at least a C3 in Higher. I am in higher, but struggling.
    Like, In Christmas exams got 30% :( But I have that habit I think? In JC, I failed all year and than the actually real-deal Junior Cert I got a C??!!
    So, It may just be a repeat of that.. But I really need to start working, but don't know where to start!

With the summaries of poems+pros, I'm Ok at. I just learn them off, well for JC but now it's not that easy?
    But reading comprehensions and the listening exam are my weakest points.
    And I shudder at doing an essay without a dictionary!
    I can do grammer separate, but as soon as it comes all together I can't function :confused:

Anyone have any advice to study Irish? Like, to help me get the C3. I mean a c1 would be a freaking miracle!

Btw, I am going to the gaelteacht this year... Which will help but I need loads of help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Well for one thing the comprehensions dont have to be manipulated anymore! :)

Essays - you're just going to have to learn some off. Its pretty standard to do that, I'm doing it, but I tend to learn the general idea of it and vocab just make it suit. Worked in my mock anyways :)

Poetry/prose/extra literature is only a tiny % of the overall exam but together theyre quite important. No real way to cut it short I'm afraid, just gonna have to practice them.

Personally I hate listenings too. 40/60 in my mock one because of the stupid accents and complicated conversation, and not getting to hear it more than twice :rolleyes:

The oral and the essay are crucial in getting a good grade - so make sure you nail those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SmileyFaces

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Well for one thing the comprehensions dont have to be manipulated anymore! :)

Essays - you're just going to have to learn some off. Its pretty standard to do that, I'm doing it, but I tend to learn the general idea of it and vocab just make it suit. Worked in my mock anyways :)

Poetry/prose/extra literature is only a tiny % of the overall exam but together theyre quite important. No real way to cut it short I'm afraid, just gonna have to practice them.

Personally I hate listenings too. 40/60 in my mock one because of the stupid accents and complicated conversation, and not getting to hear it more than twice :rolleyes:

The oral and the essay are crucial in getting a good grade - so make sure you nail those!

40/60 Is really good though!
    I'm more of a 17/60 kinda girl :L

Thanks for the tips (:
    One thing... Reading comprehensions don't have to be manipulated? What do you mean by that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

40/60 Is really good though!
    I'm more of a 17/60 kinda girl :L

Thanks for the tips (:
    One thing... Reading comprehensions don't have to be manipulated? What do you mean by that :)

Patchy means that all you have to do now is just pick the answer out without changing anything :P You do not have to rework the question or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

If your having trouble with the aural just listen to loads of RnaG or watch TG4. Even if ya cba watching the normal stuff they have on listen to their commentating on the football matches! you won't understand everything but it'll get you used to hearing the language spoken naturally. Got 54/60 for the listening in the mock and I find that the above really helps me. Also try and learn how to spell some of the Irish place names because if they come up and you try to spell them phonetically you'll most likely have something wrong! Thats where I lost at least two of my marks anyways!

Practice makes perfect! :D

Yep sorry, I should have been clearer. You can take that answer straight out :) I'm a little apprehensive about it because it seems too easy, but Q6 is always hard because its a sort of 'what do you think of x? write at least 5 lines' so it really tests your knowledge. But its only 10 marks and the first half is just grammar which you seem to be fine with :)

• Advertisement

Practice makes perfect! :D

Yep sorry, I should have been clearer. You can take that answer straight out :) I'm a little apprehensive about it because it seems too easy, but Q6 is always hard because its a sort of 'what do you think of x? write at least 5 lines' so it really tests your knowledge. But its only 10 marks and the first half is just grammar which you seem to be fine with :)

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, just making sure :D
    Unfortunately :( They changed that for the 2012 LC Irish, But for mine 2013 it's going back to in your own words :mad:

Whaaaat? :O How do you know? Seems weird that theyd just change it for one year?

Whaaaat? :O How do you know? Seems weird that theyd just change it for one year?

My teacher goes to tonnes of meetings, with the important people :cool:
    And I know, It so stupid! Just copying it would be so much easier.
    She went- Hey you can take it from the passage. She went again - Nope, not anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Stupid accents = native accents?

Advertisement