Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening in De la Salle?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

waherford wrote: »
    You know a bit about the previous evaluation ( it was critical of the class hours), how did it compare to the most recent evaluation? Did the school get a better or worse result this time around?

If the money to pay off the other €500,000 didn't come from the capitation grant, where has the money come? Has this other source dried up?

When I read the article I though that big deal out of a normal business practice, i.e. borrow money on future income to fix infrastructure. If capitation grant has been reduced like you say it was austerity/budget cuts that suppered that plan. If that is the case, I bet the dept of education will come to the rescue. 2 FG TDs and especially 1 Labour TD in Waterford wouldn't want it thrown in their face come next election.

The reduction in capitation was in the order of €20 per student - that wouldn't be the fault of the Dept of Ed if DLS have overspent so much.

And I don't think the Dept of Education has ever stepped in to provide emergency funding if a school went overbudget!

As far as I am aware, under the education act, schools are not allowed to run at a deficit and are also not allowed to accrue huge loans/debt either without the approval of the Trustees

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMf6jKrccpY

found this on youtube about de salle salle downfall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Looks like Gearoid was vindicated and given a big lump of money to go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They spent a little too much on televisions in the classrooms, a massive aquarium, a new computer room, and keycards for students to check in a check out.

God how could they not notice the 500k debt growing in their books? :eek:

their bag packers in supervalue every weekend will soon make that up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Looks like Gearoid was vindicated and given a big lump of money to go away!

As a parent of a pupil there I'm delighted to see he's been vindicated. There's been all sorts of rumours doing the rounds and if true just shows some things in Ireland will never change including what happens to whistleblowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Any Pics of the Aquarium No?

I googled it and i think i got an image of the new staff room toilet..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That's one sh-t school! Some lads in my class failed English LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

fiachr_a wrote: »
    That's one sh-t school! Some lads in my class failed English LC.

Thats generally not the schools fault unless everyone failed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

ec18 wrote: »
    Thats generally not the schools fault unless everyone failed

I can back that up as I was there a few years ago. Dont know if its gotten any better but if your not already intelligent your on your own. Teachers are beyond a joke. My Irish teacher used to look up Google translate when we asked her what does a certain word mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

deadybai wrote: »
    I can back that up as I was there a few years ago. Dont know if its gotten any better but if your not already intelligent your on your own. Teachers are beyond a joke. My Irish teacher used to look up Google translate when we asked her what does a certain word mean.

again this is nor school specific and is more a comment on how the leaving cert is set up. I went there as well, and while there was was a bit of that it's not inconceivable for them to need to use google translate. I'd look at that as the same thing as using a dictionary back in the dark ages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement