Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with seaweed

Options
  • 06-05-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Got a load of beached seaweed today and not sure what is best to do with it.
    My raised beds are well manured already and recently planted.
    Could I just store this stuff in a heap on the ground and dig it into garden in Autumn.
    I could fill a few wheelie bins with it and keep till Autumn.
    I have about 1 cubic metre of seaweed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Could I just store this stuff in a heap on the ground and dig it into garden in Autumn.

Whatever you do, hold onto it, seaweed is an excellent fertiliser/soil conditioner. You could bag and set aside approx most of it for use at a later date. If this might be too bulky, place seaweed on lawn and cut it up with lawnmower and bag it. I would place approx 1/4 in a barrel of water and allow to rot, the water will make an excellent liquid feed for topping up during the growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just to mention that if you bag it or pile it it will decompose into a smelly slimey mess. If you can dry it it will store. A good use for it right now would be as a mulch over the summer months. It will keep moisture in the soil, keep weeds down and then gradually rot down and improve your soil and plants' health. Just keep it away from the stems of plants.
    But definately make som etea with it as it is excellent stuff. Then get some more in the autmn/winter. Dig some in and if you are not covering your beds with plastic then put some on top as a mulch to protect the soil over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm going to fill a wheelie bin or two and let some of it dry out there.
    Eventhough it was hard work getting it from beach to Pick up, I think I'll spread it around blackcurrant bushes and maybe at edges of raised beds to see if it will keep slugs away.
    I can get more in Autumn and use that to cover raised beds over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'm going to fill a wheelie bin or two and let some of it dry out there.

I can get more in Autumn and use that to cover raised beds over winter.

It may just rot in the wheelie bins -- and it does smell to high heaven. If you can spread it out thinly first it will dry better.

It's best used in autumn and then let rot down on the soil over the winter - then dig it in -- but does make a good mulch at this time of the year too. Only problem I have had is that its a great scratching ground for birds looking for insects etc -- so best not to have it too near any nice clear paths/patios etc.

Just to add, if you dont wash it the salt can deter slugs. There's a debate about washing or not washing, but consensus seems to be that the concentration of salt does no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

redser7 wrote: »
    Just to add, if you dont wash it the salt can deter slugs. There's a debate about washing or not washing, but consensus seems to be that the concentration of salt does no harm.

Can't see why it needs washing. Of all the baskets drawn up from the shore through past generations how many do we think got washed in fresh water ;)

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll treat the 27 blackcurrant bushes with some seaweed mulch. Might put some around apple and plum trees to keep weeds down and slowly feed.I know it's the wrong time of year but will still do a lot of good I guess.

I'll put the some on the edge of my new raised beds to deter slugs which are currently eating my lettuces and cabbage.
    I'll give the remainder to my neighbour who is an avid gardener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You dont need to wash the seawed at all.just place it on and in the soil as you found it washed up on the shoreline.

Dont pick seaweed from the rocks or other structures though,as you are not alllowed to do this.

Only take seaweed that is washed up and loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I just collected a trailer load of seaweed over the weekend and have used it as mulch around fruit bushes, apples trees and hedging, no need to wash, just stack up around bushes and trees, keeping away from stems. It will rot down quickly

creating a feed is a great idea too, I did this last year, it make a good and cheap liquid feed. Nettles and comfrey are great to make feeds in same way

Clare man wrote: »
    I just collected a trailer load of seaweed over the weekend and have used it as mulch around fruit bushes, apples trees and hedging, no need to wash, just stack up around bushes and trees, keeping away from stems. It will rot down quickly

creating a feed is a great idea too, I did this last year, it make a good and cheap liquid feed. Nettles and comfrey are great to make feeds in same way

Are there any particular types that you mostly take or types you leave behind? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

you have been watching too many repeats of "The Field" ...............
    dont put it into the bins, it will rot, turn into brown sludge,stink to high heaven,and attract flies :eek: scatter it on the ground/beds and dig it in.

God made the world and seaweed made that field boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3kX38iKtw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm not at all far from a good source of that brown bladder wrack, might pick up a few loads - Quick question though, is the smell bad enough to annoy my neighbours?

Would it be best to put it down a little at a time instead of carpeting every plant in sight and stinking out the whole road or is this a non issue?!?!

It doesn't smell at all when its laid out as a mulch. I laid mine on about 4 inches thick. If you can chop it up with a shears all the better, it will rot faster. It only stinks when you pile it up, same way as grass will stink in a composter if you put it in in big thick layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

There is no problem with smell, I am not particular what sewweed I use, more concerned about how easy it is to collect it. I only used beached seaweed. Over winter I dug into beds in tunnel and put it down as mulch on top on raised beds and let the worms do the work. It has disappeared now.

I find wherever I use it as mulch etc, it makes weeding much easier as well as being a plant feed. I am using it as mulch now. It does bring some weeds and seeds with it, but they are easy to handle.

In veg beds I alternate with manure every other year and it works well for me

UPDATE
    Started putting seaweed around edge of Raised beds and ended up putting seaweed all around lettuces and cabbages to keep slugs out. Looks good and seems to work.
    Put a lot of seaweed around blackcurrant bushes to control weeds and feed.
    Put remainder in bottom of raised bed in progress of being built. Had to store it somewhere until raised bed is complete.
    Will get some more when down at seaside. I guess best time to be putting seaweed on garden is Autumn.

Well it depends on how you use it. As a mulch in summer it will help you out in keeping weeds down and keeping water in. As a mulch in winter it will protect your soil. It's good all year round really.
    But be sure to make seaweed tea, great stuff for foliar feeds and watering the base of plants. Makes them healthier and stronger to resist desease.

Hope it's OK to resurrect this old thread.

Got about 3/4 a tonne of seaweed from beach in west clare today. Needed to get it off pick up as I needed to drive a long distance.
    Put most of it on 3 raised beds and some on blackcurrant bushes.
    the thing is, it is about 12" thick on raised beds. I am wondering if this is a bit wasteful or too much.

I could try to take some off and move to apple trees.

Havn't made any liquid fertiliser with it as I am not sure if the liquid fertilizer would keep until spring or summer.

1 foot thick of seaweed will take a fair bit of time to rot down and into the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Should be allowed to compost for a while before applying, as well as washing salt off of it to prevent buildup of salt in soil. Sounds like too thick a layer to apply straight up.

also See:

V. Prohibited Acts

No person shall do or cause any of the following acts on the beach namely:-

Damage

5. remove any sand, stones, seaweed or soil from the beach, except in accordance with legislation and except with the consent of the Council

http://www.clarecoco.ie/Accessible_HTML/waste_water_environment/Beach_Bye_laws/Clare_Beach_Bye_Laws.html

• Advertisement

Oldtree.
    Thanks for link to Legislation.
    I always understood that it was OK to removed washed up seaweed but that a person was not allowed to cut seaweed from rocks.
    I take the washed up seaweed and a tiny amount relative to what is there.

They define the area of the "beach" on the above link very clearly and widely, so I think you would be at risk just taking the seaweed from anywhere in the area, so careful now. :D

The "washed up" seaweed is part of a natural cycle and environment, so any removal deminishes that cycle and environment. I think it best to think of it in terms of: if everybody took a small bit what would be left.

You can make a similar liquid fertiliser from nettles and comfrey, but I also like to add a (bought) liquid seaweed to bolster my (bought) liquid organic fertiliser.

I had read in this link that it was OK to collect washed up seaweed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65071417

Your link to Clare county council's site suggests otherwise.
    However, I do wonder if the detailed legislation allows collecting washed up seaweed.

I dont think you are allowed to "pick" the seaweed that is growing and attached to rocks or any structures on the beach or in the sea

from the foreshore act 1933:

"the expression “beach material” means sand, clay, gravel, shingle, stones, rocks, and mineral substances on the surface of the seashore and includes outcrops of rock or any mineral substance above the surface of the seashore and also includes bent grass growing on the seashore and
    also seaweed whether growing or rooted on the seashore or deposited or washed up thereon by the action of tides, winds, and waves or any of them;
    "

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1933/en/act/pub/0012/sec0001.html

area defined as beach in Clare:

g. With the exception of the beaches defined in (h) and (i) below, "Beach" means the area immediately adjacent to the foreshore consisting of a natural accumulation of sand and/or stones and/or shingle which can be in either public or private ownership, and every area contiguous thereto together with the foreshore waters for a distance of 300 metres from the shore and as more particularly delineated on the schedule of maps attached hereto.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/Accessible_HTML/waste_water_environment/Beach_Bye_laws/Clare_Beach_Bye_Laws.html

However, I did find this article in the IT from April 2012 that says:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2012/0428/1224315213338.html

Before you harvest

While what are termed “turbary rights” exist in regard to the harvesting of seaweed from the foreshore, anyone who can’t prove ownership of such rights should contact the Department of the Environment for information on the licensing requirements. Small amounts of cast seaweed harvested for personal use would probably be exempt from this requirement.

What "small" means I dont know nor would I trust the word "probably". So probably an email to the DOE would sort this out before any collection.

but then I found this nugget from 2004: Review of the Potential Mechanisation of Kelp Harvesting in Ireland

(download document at end of page here):

http://oar.marine.ie/handle/10793/261

LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR SEAWEED HARVESTING IN IRELAND AND IMPLICATIONS OF SPECIAL AREAS OF CONSERVATION ON THE EXPLOITATION OF SEAWEEDS

6.1 Irish legislation for seaweed harvesting

The legislation for seaweed harvesting is based on the Foreshore Acts 1933 - 1998. It is stated that the foreshore is State owned. The foreshore comprises the seabed and shore below the line of high water at medium tide and extends outwards to the limit of twelve nautical miles. Under Section 3(1) the Minister for Communications, the Marine and Natural Resources (DCMNR) is empowered to grant licences for the removal of seaweeds, whether growing or rooted on the seabed (out to 12 miles), or deposited or washed upon the beach.

The above is followed by this bit which has been misinterpreted by some to imply a free for all but in fact it only applies to those with a licence:

Under the existing legislation, there are no restrictions on quantities of seaweed that one is allowed to harvest. There are also no restrictions on harvesting times.

So this would have to be looked at in conjunction with any bylaws.

Oldtree,
    Thanks for that.
    Don't expect I will be collecting seaweed again until next year anyway.
    I might try for permission from a farmer who has a licence.
    seems a shame not to harvest a little for fertiliser.

Considering harvesting and even exporting seaweed was a major industry one time and now very few people collect it, it seems to be a wasted resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Would it be any benefit putting seaweed into my compost bin:confused:

Considering harvesting and even exporting seaweed was a major industry one time and now very few people collect it, it seems to be a wasted resource.

I think they are trying to develop it at BIM, and may be having some success. I believe that there is a great future in the sustainable use of our sea areas, and perhaps many jobs too.

http://www.bim.ie/

• Advertisement

ronn wrote: »
    Would it be any benefit putting seaweed into my compost bin:confused:

Yes that's a good way to add trace elements and other goodies to your compost. It also acts as a very good activator to speed up composting in general. But dont put it in too thickly and use alternate layers of brown (cardboard/shredded paper)

Advertisement