Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with seaweed

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oldtree wrote: »
    but then I found this nugget from 2004: Review of the Potential Mechanisation of Kelp Harvesting in Ireland

(download document at end of page here):

http://oar.marine.ie/handle/10793/261

LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR SEAWEED HARVESTING IN IRELAND AND IMPLICATIONS OF SPECIAL AREAS OF CONSERVATION ON THE EXPLOITATION OF SEAWEEDS

6.1 Irish legislation for seaweed harvesting

The legislation for seaweed harvesting is based on the Foreshore Acts 1933 - 1998. It is stated that the foreshore is State owned. The foreshore comprises the seabed and shore below the line of high water at medium tide and extends outwards to the limit of twelve nautical miles. Under Section 3(1) the Minister for Communications, the Marine and Natural Resources (DCMNR) is empowered to grant licences for the removal of seaweeds, whether growing or rooted on the seabed (out to 12 miles), or deposited or washed upon the beach.

The above is followed by this bit which has been misinterpreted by some to imply a free for all but in fact it only applies to those with a licence:

Under the existing legislation, there are no restrictions on quantities of seaweed that one is allowed to harvest. There are also no restrictions on harvesting times.

So this would have to be looked at in conjunction with any bylaws.

Does that mean that if even a child took home some stones or pebbles or some sand from the beach,that they are breaking the law and taking from the state??Or that if anyone picked up and brought home a bit of lose seaweed from the high tide mark on the beach,that he or she is breaking the law??Honest question here,as Im a tad confused by all the various bits of info there about the beaches and ownership by the state.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I cannot say for certain paddy147 an email to the department would sort that one out, but after the small bit of research I think that as it is state owned that any removal of seaweed/pebbles could be viewed as theft so a child removing any little bit could have their parents procecuted, but the actual likelyhood of that happening would be very remote I think.

but some people can be very petty so you never know:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16420:man-fined-200-for-stealing-150-cigarette-lighter&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Oldtree wrote: »
    I cannot say for certain paddy147 an email to the department would sort that one out, but after the small bit of research I think that as it is state owned that any removal of seaweed/pebbles could be viewed as theft so a child removing any little bit could have their parents procecuted, but the actual likelyhood of that happening would be very remote I think.

but some people can be very petty so you never know:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16420:man-fined-200-for-stealing-150-cigarette-lighter&catid=23:news&Itemid=46
    dont be so silly!!look at the wrongs that are going on at the minute in our country and ye are worried about taking a few stones or a bit of seaweed!!stop with the il do what im told mentality..thats for sheep...take what stones /sand/seaweed you need..thats whats its there for..for goodness sake.

Maudi wrote: »
    dont be so silly!!look at the wrongs that are going on at the minute in our country and ye are worried about taking a few stones or a bit of seaweed!!stop with the il do what im told mentality..thats for sheep...take what stones /sand/seaweed you need..thats whats its there for..for goodness sake.

Well maybe we can all the try the "Im a simple famers son" excuse or the other excuse of that "I have a heart condition/health issues"....:pac:;):rolleyes::D

But for such a less serious and more trivial matter,unfortulately there probably are some people out there who would do thing to the absolute letter of the law and try to have somebody done for taking a few pebbles off the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

paddy147 wrote: »

Well maybe we can all the try the "Im a simple famers son" excuse or the other excuse of that "I have a heart condition/health issues"....:pac:;):rolleyes::D

But for such a less serious and more trivial matter,unfortulately there probably are some people out there who would do thing to the absolute letter of the law and try to have somebody done for taking a few pebbles off the beach.
    sadly it will be like the water harvesting ban that will come in when we start paying for water..board water or whatever they will be called will have a license to collect water..the rest of us wont..hence.by collecting "their" water in garden barrels or underground harvesting systems we will be deemed as stealing or un licensed water harvesting...one of dame enda kennys sons/ daughters will hold the license for seaweed collecting and if you take it you will be deemed to be stealing..

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    sadly it will be like the water harvesting ban that will come in when we start paying for water..board water or whatever they will be called will have a license to collect water..the rest of us wont..hence.by collecting "their" water in garden barrels or underground harvesting systems we will be deemed as stealing or un licensed water harvesting...one of dame enda kennys sons/ daughters will hold the license for seaweed collecting and if you take it you will be deemed to be stealing..

Id love to see them try and find an underground tank buried somewhere in my garden.;):D

Im that close to getting an underground system installed.

Advertisement