Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Gift

Options
  • 07-05-2012 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My cousin is having her daughter Christened in about six weeks and myself and my boyfriend are stuck on what to get her for a gift.

I had thought of prize bonds, a voucher for a professional photography session, maybe getting her hand-prints/foot-prints in pottery or something, but it'd mean having to take her out for a few hours/full day and as she is being breast fed we'd have no way of feeding her as she won't take bottles at all.

Not too keen on the ideas of jewellery or photo frames etc. Clothes are also a no-no as she has a load of clothes that will do her until she's two.

I'd really appreciate some ideas as I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When my nephew was getting christened, most gifts were money/prize bonds.
    I think prize bonds are the best as money is too easily spent.

You said no to jewelery but if its a girl some of these are quite cute, you could get them engraved and she would be able to wear it for a good few years as they expand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... My cousin is having her daughter Christened ...
    When my nephew was getting christened ...
    baptised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I would suggest you ask her... Maybe they would like photo frames... I got loads for our baby and I was delighted with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mathepac wrote: »
    baptised

I dont think the OP asked for a lesson on proper vocabulary. Helpful posting only please. Consider this your first warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

http://www.tinythings.ie/ my godaughters christening is in two weeks and I have ordered a beautiful plaque for her Christening day and i also ordered a beautiful memory box that you can put a photo and a footprint at the front of.

Christenings are very sentimental occasions and the memory box my son got for his was on of my favourite gifts. His godmother got him it and she even wrote him a letter that he's not aloud to open until he's 18 haha!.

Also I got a Christening guest book off my mother and everyone wrote beautiful messages to my son tht day, it's in his memory box!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I would suggest you ask her... Maybe they would like photo frames... I got loads for our baby and I was delighted with them.
    I did ask my cousin was there anything they'd like for their daughter and she said no. She said there was no need to get a present, but we'd still like to get her something.

I'm not sure about photo frames, my cousin tends to get them for her bday, Christmas etc, so I thought maybe something else would be nice.
    Also I got a Christening guest book off my mother and everyone wrote beautiful messages to my son tht day, it's in his memory box!
    This is a wonderful idea, my cousin and her husband would absolutely love this.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I really appreciate them, keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Groupon have an offer on photo canvas at the moment. €14 for a 12 X 16 as far as i remember, from printerpix. I got one done, and it is lovely.
    They're usually so expensive to get done so it's a great deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

When my nephew was getting christened, most gifts were money/prize bonds.
    I think prize bonds are the best as money is too easily spent.

People gave us prize bonds for our daughters christening, and to be honest, they were very awkward.
    We had three problem cases
    1) Wrong name on the prize bond. Her firstname with my surname instead of my husbands. Another one with a short version of her first name.
    2) Wrong address on the prize bond. Some of my parents friends gave her prize bonds, but put my parents address on the registration. Postman would not deliver it, they got the failed delivery notice and gave us that instead.
    3) Made out in either my name or my husbands name instead of hers

We wanted to get the whole lot of them collated into one batch of prize bonds registered to one address, and it took 9 forms, various correspondences over 4 months to do it. It's not a case of popping down the post office like when you buy them, I needed to send off registered copies of her birth cert, our marriage cert, proof of address, along with various forms.

I got so annoyed with it, and the fact that I have prizebonds from my communion that are devalued to near nothing... that I cashed the whole lot in and stuck it in a bank account instead. At least it will accrue interest. That's another written application form to cash them in by the way. Prize bonds are a domestic loan to the govt, what baby needs to do that?

Please get the details right when you apply for them, or just give a voucher or some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Surely when you give a voucher for a photo session it's to be used later by the parents to bring the baby to, you don't have to take the baby out for a few hours yourself to do it?

Acoshla wrote: »
    Surely when you give a voucher for a photo session it's to be used later by the parents to bring the baby to, you don't have to take the baby out for a few hours yourself to do it?
    I meant that if we got her hand-prints/foot-prints in pottery or whatever that we'd need to take her out for a few hours. Though we could get a voucher and her parents could take her.

I'm still at a loss as to what we could get her. I found out that a few other people are getting her prize bonds now, so there's no point in us getting her them as well.

I think we might just get a voucher for a photography session and then her parents can use it whenever they want.

• Advertisement

You can buy a little gift set that lets the parents do them themselves, about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

My first child was given a white shawl/blanket with his name and baptism date on it - the friend who gave it added my other children to it for their baptisms too- its a lovely gift we'll have forever and it was used as part of the ceremony for each. like this http://www.thingsremembered.com/product///White-Christening-Blanket/pc/101/c/2576/sc/2594/160070.uts?fcref=afl&ci_src=14110925&ci_sku=683812

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some of the things that were given to our smallie.

-A beautiful patchwork quilt (we used it as a playmat initially, and now it is on her bed)
    -A soft blanket with her name stitched onto it.
    -A silver jewellery box, with name engraved
    -A christening bracelet
    -Crocheted shawl
    -Some classic books (Beatrice potter, alice in wonderland)
    -A locket
    -A wooden noahs ark with the animals.

Really thoughtful stuff. I thought they were all lovely, especially the handmade ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Im doing godfather to a boy quite soon and came here looking for some ideas.
    Im really not into the gift thing like photoframes, little booties etc. Each to their own there but I just dont see it. I would view those types of presents that the parents admire, the baby being chris...ahem, baptised, isnt going to get anything from it. Am I wrong there? Is the present supposed to be for the baby or the parents?

So, Prize bonds were first to cross my mind but after reading above good post about them Im not so sure. I was thinking of something more practical. As he's obviously not going to need anything for a LONG time, it has to be a investment of some sort. So what can one invest long term for? A monthly savings bond of say something like 10e per month, not something Id miss too much and he'd get roughly his first year of college paid for 18 years from now? Obviously cost me a lot more in the long term but sure feck it, long term wont notice it.

whats the going rate for a pressie, 100e? I could put 100e into many shares of companies with longer term growth potential but half that money would be eaten up with fees.

What else could I do as an investment long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I gave my baby cousin this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mozart-Effect-Playtime-Sleepytime/dp/B00000DA1O

and i was told ever after what a hit it was with him and how much he loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

bluewolf wrote: »
    I gave my baby cousin this

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mozart-Effect-Playtime-Sleepytime/dp/B00000DA1O

and i was told ever after what a hit it was with him and how much he loved it

Aww, what a great idea!!! Is it possible to get this in Cork?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If the parents like their music:

http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/

This site does covers of rock bands as lullabye music. My OH was particularly appreciative of the ACDC and Metallica albums. Apparently he want to start baby off listening to "proper music, not that sh!te its mammy listens to" :D

Its a bit different from the norm, but thats why I liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

HappyKate wrote: »
    Aww, what a great idea!!! Is it possible to get this in Cork?

i got mine in a golden whatevertheyrecalled cd shop so im sure you might find one

I've been looking into various places in Dublin that do the imprints into pottery/clay etc and it's working out quite expensive, most places charge €50+, which we can't afford.

At this stage I'm thinking maybe a one4all voucher for the baby, in her mothers name, that way, if the baby needed anything, they could use the voucher towards it? I don't know to be honest.

Half of my family are getting prize bonds, and I don't want to get her those as well. She's gotten a good few of them already, so I'd like something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

you can get a Sculpy photoframe & clay imprint kit at the art&craft in Jervis for about €25, looks like this http://www.craftmill.co.uk/no-mess-sculpey-keepsake-clay-imprint-kit-with-frame

• Advertisement

You can get sets to do those clay prints in loads of places, like Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Art-Magic-Box-Natural/dp/B000I5YT3G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336999073&sr=8-6

I've seen them between €10 and €30.

Thanks guys, the thing with those sets it, I'm pretty sure my cousin wouldn't use them, it'd be left unused, but if she had a voucher for a place, that would be used.

I might say it to my auntie (baby's grandma) and see what she thinks about the home clay set, I'm pretty sure my cousin won't use it, but it can't hurt to ask.

It'd be a lot more work to take a baby somewhere to get it done than to just do it yourself, if she wouldn't want to take the bit of time to do it at home then would she bother taking the time to go somewhere to have someone else do it?

Acoshla wrote: »
    It'd be a lot more work to take a baby somewhere to get it done than to just do it yourself, if she wouldn't want to take the bit of time to do it at home then would she bother taking the time to go somewhere to have someone else do it?
    You are right, but she'd see it as a day out rather than 'another thing to do at home'.

We can't exactly give a voucher for €30 and have them pay any extra towards it, it would look stingy, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hey when i had my kids christened my ssister gave me the best present a bunch of flowers and a little note pad written in it this is your book of babysitting vouchers. She made out 10 Vouchers each saying that she mind my kids for a day x amount of hours or overnight it was great as with two kids under 1.5yrs it nice to get out and about for a time on your own. HTH

Would this be OK to give her? I know the photos would be quite small though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Clock-Photo-Birthday-Christening/dp/B00245DQXM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337894750&sr=8-8

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Would it be ok to give your sister "NO PRESENT, OR CARD" for the christening of her son...

Well thats what I received for my sons christening last month, my family travelled to the country for the christening, brother was godfather and my partners sister was godmother..... Lovely outfit and card received from godmother.. Well the GODFATHER gave nothing not even a card, my sister gave me a card the next day and just left in on the kitchen table before she left on her travels ...Now please tell me how much a card costs..you can get (2 for €1 in the pound shop.). Im not expecting lavish gifts or anything but its a token on the day ..Oh sorry my brother had to brag about all his new clothes for the christening and for his 2 precious children...

So there you go that's what I received..nice gifts from my only brother and sister....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If you have the photos to fill it up yourself, then maybe. I wouldn't give it to them empty though, most parents would never get round to taking the photos each month and printing them all and putting them into the frame and hanging it up somewhere!
    Westwood wrote: »
    Would it be ok to give your sister "NO PRESENT, OR CARD" for the christening of her son...

Well thats what I received for my sons christening last month, my family travelled to the country for the christening, brother was godfather and my partners sister was godmother..... Lovely outfit and card received from godmother.. Well the GODFATHER gave nothing not even a card, my sister gave me a card the next day and just left in on the kitchen table before she left on her travels ...Now please tell me how much a card costs..you can get (2 for €1 in the pound shop.). Im not expecting lavish gifts or anything but its a token on the day ..Oh sorry my brother had to brag about all his new clothes for the christening and for his 2 precious children...

So there you go that's what I received..nice gifts from my only brother and sister....

You say your brother and sister travelled to the country for the Christening ... surely this was present enough? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I got these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvd+baby+einstein+collection&sprefix=dvd+baby+einstei%2Caps%2C278 for my son when he was born, and he loved them. My nephew had no interest though!

Maybe get some Prize bonds with a promise to buy something more suitable for the child at the first birthday?

(apologies for crap links, I only have use of work iPad, wish I could afford a proper laptop of my own!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I got these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvd+baby+einstein+collection&sprefix=dvd+baby+einstei%2Caps%2C278 for my son when he was born, and he loved them. My nephew had no interest though!

Maybe get some Prize bonds with a promise to buy something more suitable for the child at the first birthday?

Edit : Holy god, looking at the price of those dvds, I wish I'd kept them!

Advertisement