Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Gift

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks so much everyone.

I spoke to my cousin about it when I saw her the other day and she said there really isn't anything they want/need for her.

My cousin just asked if I could make some cakes/buns for her Christening, which I am doing, I also got her a lovely photo frame, it's glass with butterflies on it.

I don't know what else to get, my mother is pestering me to get her prize bonds, but nearly everyone is getting her prize bonds so I don't want to get them as well.

I was thinking of putting €20 in a card but I don't know if her parents have a savings account or anything for her.

The frame was only €2.75 (got it in a cash & carry) so I'd like to get something else. I don't want to come across as tight/mean/cheap.

She has enough clothes to do her until she's three (really!), she has enough toys etc.

My cousin and her mother are both saying that the food is enough, and along with the photo frame (I didn't say anything to them about it), but I don't think it is enough, am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My cousin and her mother are both saying that the food is enough, and along with the photo frame (I didn't say anything to them about it), but I don't think it is enough, am I wrong?

Op my nephew is getting christened in July and we arent getting anything for him. We bought his cot when he was born along with other stuff and we regularly buy him clothes etc. My sis has said there is no need for presents for the christening and I have to agree. Others clearly wont!!

Dovies wrote: »
    Op my nephew is getting christened in July and we arent getting anything for him. We bought his cot when he was born along with other stuff and we regularly buy him clothes etc. My sis has said there is no need for presents for the christening and I have to agree. Others clearly wont!!
    Maybe what we/I are giving it enough tbh.

We didn't buy any cots or anything except some clothes and a bit blanket for the baby. We (mam, granny and I) also got her a Newbridge silverware Christmas tree decoration with her name on it for Christmas.

Of course I will be putting a photo into the photo frame, but even then, it won't cost any more than €10.

I think we'll just do what my cousin said and not get anything, not because we're being mean/tight, but because she said there's nothing they want/need.

I don't want to come across as mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I think we'll just do what my cousin said and not get anything, not because we're being mean/tight, but because she said there's nothing they want/need.

I don't want to come across as mean though.

Op she will appreciate the cakes and the frame just as much as an expensive gift. I have 2 children and I really couldnt tell you who bought them what for their christening!

Dovies wrote: »
    Op she will appreciate the cakes and the frame just as much as an expensive gift. I have 2 children and I really couldnt tell you who bought them what for their christening!
    Thanks Dovies, you are right.

I'll leave it as is, I appreciate your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The cost doesn't matter at all as long as what you've gotten is nice and thoughtful. For my Godson's christening I made his cake and probably got him a small present but I can't even remember and it was only last August :o I only ever buy him quite cheap presents because he's the youngest of 4 so has everything, his mother would appreciates the small creative presents more than me spending a fortune, like at Christmas my friend embroidered his name onto some fabric, I decorated it with buttons and framed it, cost me about €15, his parents loved it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Muffin, I know from other forums you love cooking, so to offer to prepare some foods for the celebrations may go down very well indeed!

If I were you, I'd find out what kind of food she is planning and offer to help out. eg if its a cold buffet, then prepare a few nice salads, or if its a hot buffet, a big pot of chicken and mushroom vol-a-vent filling and the vol-a-vents. Maybe go over the evening before to help her out or bring along a few dishes.

Or even offer to arrive early to the home on the day itself and help out in the kitchen or with the kids - getting them ready or keeping them out of the dirt so their nice outfits stay clean, so mammy can take the time to get dressed up and made up for the occasion, would be a massive help.

Neyite wrote: »
    Muffin, I know from other forums you love cooking, so to offer to prepare some foods for the celebrations may go down very well indeed!

If I were you, I'd find out what kind of food she is planning and offer to help out. eg if its a cold buffet, then prepare a few nice salads, or if its a hot buffet, a big pot of chicken and mushroom vol-a-vent filling and the vol-a-vents. Maybe go over the evening before to help her out or bring along a few dishes.

Or even offer to arrive early to the home on the day itself and help out in the kitchen or with the kids - getting them ready or keeping them out of the dirt so their nice outfits stay clean, so mammy can take the time to get dressed up and made up for the occasion, would be a massive help.
    After reading your post Neyite I rang my cousin and asked if there was any other foods etc that I could bring along and she said no, all I need to bring it the cakes/buns.

Unfortunately going over the evening before or early that morning is a no no as I live in a different county and my mum's sister will be bringing us to/from the Christening. I said to my cousin if there is anything else that I can do just to let me know.

I can't think of anything else to get the baby so am going with what my cousin said and just bring what she asked, give the photo frame and nothing else. I'd like to give something else, but I don't want to give something that is going to be unused, I don't want to waste money either, I haven't got it to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

When my son Was baptised he was given a gift of a tree that was planted in his name. He got a certificate with his name and the reg and place of the tree. It's something that he still talks about now. It was thoughtful and quite personal.

Advertisement