Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm getting back into shape again!

• 07-05-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I've just bought weights off amazon and they'll be here tomorrow, eh hopefully!:p

Anyway I used to be crazy active so I said I'd better cop the f*ck on and get my ass to work:D

I'm 17, 5'11 (nearly 6') 157 pounds <-- lost 12 lbs in 2 months from being sick, so I'm thinner than what I'd like to be.

BTW I'll wait until september to join the gym because its 50% cheaper!;)

So is anyone else motivated to get fit again?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ooh what kind of shape? I've always been partial to a dodecahedron myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Don't bother wasting you're money on a gym, join a GAA club or soccer club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You just bought them and they'll be here tomorrow? That's not much of a weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Round is a shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

1ZRed wrote: »

The gym? There's more than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah, minus the weights though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am motivated by a pair of jeans that won't quite button ¬_¬

Also my regular session house is up an extremely steep hill and I die a little walking up it with my beers. Need to be able to carry more beers up that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Isn't tomorrow a bank holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

El Weirdo wrote: »

****!:mad:

I am motivated by a pair of jeans that won't quite button ¬_¬

Also my regular session house is up an extremely steep hill and I die a little walking up it with my beers. Need to be able to carry more beers up that hill.

Ride those jeans onto you so I would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

courier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Round is a shape

Well, you would say that :P

reference is to username

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭Archeron

This thread needs an 80's montage.

courier?
    No thanks, I'm trying to get back into shape as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cycled 37km today. Getting my ass into shape.

Don't forget Cardiovascular fitness. Get out for a run or cycle or dance class. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its not january is it?

No thanks, I'm trying to get back into shape as well.

I'll save you the hassle

Larianne wrote: »

Don't forget Cardiovascular fitness. Get out for a run or cycle or dance class. ;)

Oh I'll make sure I don't forget the yoga and palates while I'm at it:rolleyes: haha

Ride your ass into shape so I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I don't get it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ooh what kind of shape? I've always been partial to a dodecahedron myself.

Thread delivers on the second post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Archeron wrote: »
    This thread needs an 80's montage.

YES.

Oh I'll make sure I don't forget the yoga and palates while I'm at it:rolleyes: haha

Well Yoga is good for balance and Pilates is good for flexibilty. These are important parts of fitness. No point of lifting weights if you can't comb your hair because your pecs are too tight.

And don't knock pilates. I'm pretty sure either the Leinster or Ireland Rugby team reguarly do pilates exercises.
    Ride your ass into shape so I would.

You sure about that? You haven't seen my ass!!

I LOVE how nobody is taking me seriously!:p Bunch of f*ckers;)

Well Yoga is good for balance and Pilates is good for flexibilty. These are important parts of fitness. No point of lifting weights if you can't comb your hair because your pecs are too tight.

And don't knock pilates. I'm pretty sure either the Leinster or Ireland Rugby team reguarly do pilates exercises.

Seriously? I think I'd look a bit awkward doing them to be honest, especially considering I dont know the difference between them!:phaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm getting into shape as we speak, working on my biceps.

Lifts arm to mouth and shoves sausage roll in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Save the status updates for facebook, op...

You haven't seen your ass after I've finished with it.

*Bam*

Seriously? I think I'd look a bit awkward doing them to be honest, especially considering I dont know the difference between them!:phaha

Yes, seriously! Don't knock it until you try it. Besides, you should mix up your work outs so you don't get bored with exercise.
    You haven't seen your ass after I've finished with it.

*Bam*

Leave my tush alone, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've just bought weights off amazon and they'll be here tomorrow, eh hopefully!:p

Anyway I used to be crazy active so I said I'd better cop the f*ck on and get my ass to work:D

I'm 17, 5'11 (nearly 6') 157 pounds <-- lost 12 lbs in 2 months from being sick, so I'm thinner than what I'd like to be.

So is anyone else motivated to get fit again?:)
    You're 17, that's a perfect age to start weight lifting. However, I must advise you to join a gym unless you have a huge garage or something and lots of equipment. Many people find they need to separate their home from their gym though.

When I hit the gym I pack my bag and go, and that's it, I'm in the zone mentally. It's great and I love it.
    Best of look :)

When I hit the gym I pack my bag and go, and that's it, I'm in the zone mentally.
    Teddy, you're always in some sort of zone... mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Me too I've totally let myself go my body is disgusting:eek::eek:
    I've started back walking, going to try to an hour's walk every evening and am going to join Curves for a few weeks. I would drop dead if I went to a normal gym cos I'm so unfit (smoke like a trooper too:o). Has anyone managed to give up smoking and not gained weight?

Yes, seriously! Don't knock it until you try it. Besides, you should mix up your work outs so you don't get bored with exercise.

Leave my tush alone, thanks!

Well I won't knock it so:) For my cardio, I was thinking a 2K jog in the morning and evening would do?
    Where the hell would a guy go about starting yoga even? I know I'd be waaaayy too uncomfortable doing it!:D

Join a gym, do starting strenght like everyone else. What ever the postman can deliver will be grown out of in a week or two.

Post up on the health and fitness or strenght sports forum. They'll advise you better.

You're 17, that's a perfect age to start weight lifting. However, I must advise you to join a gym unless you have a huge garage or something and lots of equipment. Many people find they need to separate their home from their gym though.

When I hit the gym I pack my bag and go, and that's it, I'm in the zone mentally. It's great and I love it.
    Best of look :)

I have the space and all but I get where you're coming from, It would be easy to get lazy and put it off.
    I'm 17 but I'm turning 18 next week, still the perfect age?:p
    I know I should've started earlier but I got sick for few weeks but I want to hit the weights hard and make up for it now!:D

• Advertisement

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to give up smoking and not gained weight?
    The Marlboro man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

If somebody keeps telling you that they're starting a diet or getting in shape it's a sure sign that they'll be fatter than ever in three months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Cycled 37km today.

Noice. I do love a good cycle. :cool: How sore is your arse though now? :pac:

If somebody keeps telling you that they're starting a diet or getting in shape it's a sure sign that they'll be fatter than ever in three months time.

Not true, I've been trying to gain weight for about 3 weeks now and I've managed to loose 4lbs even though I'm stuffing my face 24/7!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fúck weights, join a boxing club, hardest training there is in my opinion.
    And i gained ridiculous amounts of muscle and lost about 2 stone when i first started boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ballocavendish

5 Components of fitness:

Cardiovascular fitness

Muscular Strength

Muscular Endurance

Flexibility

Body Composition

Try fit in a bit of all of these if you can. This is coming from a guy who lost 5 and a half stone from just running, only realised 5 stone in I'd prob need to combine some weights training!

Tick all these boxes and you'll be the ultimate athlete :)

Teddy, you're always in some sort of zone... mentally.
    :P
    In fairness. If you were to study my posts (wouldn't that be a treat for everyone:D) you'd find at the weekend my posts are fairly ****ed up alright. But isn't that the beauty of alcohol. During the week they're fairly close to sane I'd imagine. At least I'm not creating thread that I can't even bring myself to read this time, sweet jaysus!! :o

Back to getting fit and all though OP. You should identify your body type first when it comes to the nutrition end of things.

5 Components of fitness:

Cardiovascular fitness

Muscular Strength

Muscular Endurance

Flexibility

Body Composition

Try fit in a bit of all of these if you can. This is coming from a guy who lost 5 and a half stone from just running, only realised 5 stone in I'd prob need to combine some weights training!

Tick all these boxes and you'll be the ultimate athlete :)

Thanks for the advice man!:)
    I think I have the first 3 checked. I want to really push myself on the weights because I don't want to lose weight overall just loose fat gain muscle mass.
    How can I get the last two into my routine though?

I have the space and all but I get where you're coming from, It would be easy to get lazy and put it off.
    I'm 17 but I'm turning 18 next week, still the perfect age?:p
    I know I should've started earlier but I got sick for few weeks but I want to hit the weights hard and make up for it now!:D
    18, you lucky bastard!:D:D:P

Yea that's still a great age of course. I found when I started it took a while before I began to enjoy it. You have to find out workouts and then do your own research when it comes to nutrition. It can be a bit of a pain but it's obviously not rocket science either.
    Just my advice is to stick with it for a few months if your finding it a pain in the ass and not enjoying it. It's worth it. Nothing better than hitting the gym and when you come home you're actually so alert, focused and fresh.

:P
    In fairness. If you were to study my posts (wouldn't that be a treat for everyone:D) you'd find at the weekend my posts are fairly ****ed up alright. But isn't that the beauty of alcohol. During the week they're fairly close to sane I'd imagine. At least I'm not creating thread that I can't even bring myself to read this time, sweet jaysus!! :o

Back to getting fit and all though OP. You should identify your body type first when it comes to the nutrition end of things.

I'm not big but not very thin either, eh I'd say I'm built. I have a very good and solid frame if that's what you mean? I think I have big potential and from past experience I gain very quickly.
    Give a few examples of body type there and I'll see which one really suits me:)

18, you lucky bastard!:D:D:P

Yea that's still a great age of course. I found when I started it took a while before I began to enjoy it. You have to find out workouts and then do your own research when it comes to nutrition. It can be a bit of a pain but it's obviously not rocket science either.
    Just my advice is to stick with it for a few months if your finding it a pain in the ass and not enjoying it. It's worth it. Nothing better than hitting the gym and when you come home you're actually so alert, focused and fresh.

Thats what I loved before I slowed down. I really want my perfect body back but this time I'm going to keep pushing it to be bigger:D
    I usually found it a pain but once you hit your stride you just can't stop.
    The benefits are unreal though, my sex drive was never higher when I was training. That alone is enough for me to dedicate myself to it!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Don't bother wasting you're money on a gym, join a GAA club or soccer club.

Yeah because 90 minutes of aerobic exercise is exactly what it takes to build strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ballocavendish

Thanks for the advice man!:)
    I think I have the first 3 checked. I want to really push myself on the weights because I don't want to lose weight overall just loose fat gain muscle mass.
    How can I get the last two into my routine though?

Yeah well since bulking up is you're main focus then you're right to focus on the weights, just don't ignore the rest of them would be my advice. Well for flexibilty, pilates or yoga would be a good option...Or you could just do you're own stretching routine a couple of times a week, preferably after you're work out.

Heres developmental stretching explained, its basically just stretching all the muscles in you're body and holding the stretch for a bit longer than usual to improve flexibility
    http://www.fitness-central.co.uk/exercise/stretching/developmental-stretching/index.php

As for body composition, it's just the ratio of the amount of fat in you're body to lean mass. It will come if you train hard and incorporate the rest of the components into you're workout :)

Thats what I loved before I slowed down. I really want my perfect body back but this time I'm going to keep pushing it to be bigger:D
    I usually found it a pain but once you hit your stride you just can't stop.
    The benefits are unreal though, my sex drive was never higher when I was training. That alone is enough for me to dedicate myself to it!;)
    You're dead right about the sex drive.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

You sound like you might be a mesomorph which is basically the best!
    Nobody is actually fully one or the other really though but it's a good indication.
    You actually have muscle memory so you will get big again quicker. It's like if you blow up a balloon it is easier to blow up the next time after it deflates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=252

^ Because you're only going to get bro-science in AH

• Advertisement
Advertisement