Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm getting back into shape again!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ballocavendish

1ZRed wrote: »
    I'm not big but not very thin either, eh I'd say I'm built. I have a very good and solid frame if that's what you mean? I think I have big potential and from past experience I gain very quickly.
    Give a few examples of body type there and I'll see which one really suits me:)

You sound like a mesomorph

"MESOMORPH

A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.

Typical traits on a Mesomorph:

Athletic
    Hard body with well defined muscles
    Rectangular shaped body
    Strong
    Gains muscle easily
    Gains fat more easily than ectomorphs
    The mesomorph body type responds the best to weight training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. The downside to mesomorphs is they gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. This means they must watch their calorie intake. Usually a combination of weight training and cardio works best for mesomorphs. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Owen_S wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=252

^ Because you're only going to get bro-science in AH
    It's all about the nutrition brah:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah well since bulking up is you're main focus then you're right to focus on the weights, just don't ignore the rest of them would be my advice. Well for flexibilty, pilates or yoga would be a good option...Or you could just do you're own stretching routine a couple of times a week, preferably after you're work out.

Heres developmental stretching explained, its basically just stretching all the muscles in you're body and holding the stretch for a bit longer than usual to improve flexibility
    http://www.fitness-central.co.uk/exercise/stretching/developmental-stretching/index.php

As for body composition, it's just the ratio of the amount of fat in you're body to lean mass. It will come if you train hard and incorporate the rest of the components into you're workout :)

Perfect thanks!:)
    I thought people were taking the piss when suggesting yoga or pilates but I'll definitely look into them now. I was a big runner so I'll definitely keep the cardio and weight training up.
    I think I'll join fitness site like bodybuilding.com or something so I can get all the info I need.
    You've been a huge help though, thanks!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yup, i'm back on the wagon last 2 weeks. Last year or two I was only gyming once or twice a week with little cardio.

Now i'm building the gym into my daily routine, first thing in the morning 5 times a week, weight training. Back on the protein too. Then 7-10km runs at 10pm 3 times a week. Have changed my nutrition completely too.

28 years old, want to get in the best shape of my life, its now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ballocavendish

I thought people were taking the piss when suggesting yoga or pilates but I'll definitely look into them now. I was a big runner so I'll definitely keep the cardio and weight training up.
    I think I'll join fitness site like bodybuilding.com or something so I can get all the info I need.

No problem mate, I'm in first year of a Health and Fitness course so I know a few bits, and just from my own personal experiences. But like others have said, on the fitness and strength forums you'll get some great advice...Lads that know a lot more than me :) Best of luck with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

When I sit my man boobs touch my belly. Time to get into shape? Any ladies out there find that attractive then PM me, I hate exercise.

You sound like a mesomorph

"MESOMORPH

A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.

Typical traits on a Mesomorph:

Athletic
    Hard body with well defined muscles
    Rectangular shaped body
    Strong
    Gains muscle easily
    Gains fat more easily than ectomorphs
    The mesomorph body type responds the best to weight training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. The downside to mesomorphs is they gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. This means they must watch their calorie intake. Usually a combination of weight training and cardio works best for mesomorphs. "

That sounds exactly like me! I'll stick to routines that play to my strengths.
    I loose weight really fast which has really gone against me in the last two months but once I sort out my sleep schedule, I should be back gaining weight again;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Your diet is just as important as lifting weights, cardio etc..

Make sure and find out what you should be eating and how much of what you need for your plan to work out.

Look up P90X too, might be of some interest to you. And if you are able to *use the internet cost should not be too much of an issue..

Yup, i'm back on the wagon last 2 weeks. Last year or two I was only gyming once or twice a week with little cardio.

Now i'm building the gym into my daily routine, first thing in the morning 5 times a week, weight training. Back on the protein too. Then 7-10km runs at 10pm 3 times a week. Have changed my nutrition completely too.

28 years old, want to get in the best shape of my life, its now or never.

Thats some routine! I'm really going to be breaking my balls trying to get back to working out again. I plan on hitting it at a fairly intense level starting off but it'll be completely worth it . I've never been on protein though, I just was eating loads of high protein foods but if my gains slow I'll probably consider going on it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

:( I was being sincere!!

Yes, just read lots and you'll figure out what works best for you!

Larianne wrote: »
    :( I was being sincere!!

Yes, just read lots and you'll figure out what works best for you!

haha No NO I'm actually considering it because some of the guys pointed out the benefits of it:)
    I would be way too embarrassed going into a yoga class and would probably laugh way too much about how stupid I would look! Does wii fit yoga count by any chance?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

One poster suggested joining a gaa club and another suggested boxing. These are very good suggestions because these sports cover everything as far as physical fitness goes.

More importantly, they turn your exercising into a social thing instead of a chore and it's easier to blow off going to the gym by yourself than it is to fail to show up for training at your club. It depends on your self discipline though.

One poster suggested joining a gaa club and another suggested boxing. These are very good suggestions because these sports cover everything as far as physical fitness goes.

More importantly, they turn your exercising into a social thing instead of a chore and it's easier to blow off going to the gym by yourself than it is to fail to show up for training at your club. It depends on your self discipline though.

Yeah I was thinking about it but what I prefer about the gym and exercising by myself is the fact that I have complete control over what areas I want to focus on and that I can go as intense or as easy as I like.
    I think I'll ask a few of the lads if they want to get back in the gym so it won't be such a bore:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Does getting in shape means loads of bicep curls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You should join a good gym and get shown good form on the main lifts e.g. Deadlift, Squat, bench, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Defo agree, I started kickboxing earlier this year, I'm 32 and female... It's great fun but very hard work

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

OP, no one cares what your up to. Go down to Lidl, buy some Perlenbacher and MAN THE F.UCK UP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

lost 12 lbs in 2 months from being sick, so I'm thinner than what I'd like to be.

What was this illness and can I rub myself off you until I catch it and could I possibly lose more than 12 lbs? I'm 5ft10 11.5 stone but would like to be 10 stone

toexpress wrote: »
    What was this illness and can I rub myself off you until I catch it and could I possibly lose more than 12 lbs? I'm 5ft10 11.5 stone but would like to be 10 stone

No no no, Your weight is fine. A woman wants a man with a bit of meat, not a stick insect... Perhaps focus on toning up not losing weight..

No no no, Your weight is fine. A woman wants a man with a bit of meat, not a stick insect... Perhaps focus on toning up not losing weight..

Am a homosexual ... homosexuals want thin guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

When I sit my man boobs touch my belly. Time to get into shape? Any ladies out there find that attractive then PM me, I hate exercise.

Lay off the Battered Mars Bars then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I'm getting into shape as we speak, working on my biceps.

Lifts arm to mouth and shoves sausage roll in

Feel the burn!.

No sorry I meant Watch the burn; that sausage roll has been under hot plate literally all day. It'll be Thermo-nuclear, always blow on the sausage roll.

Safer communities working together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mars Bar wrote: »

You make it sound so easy. How can that possibly work without a pills and a special machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Thats some routine! I'm really going to be breaking my balls trying to get back to working out again. I plan on hitting it at a fairly intense level starting off but it'll be completely worth it . I've never been on protein though, I just was eating loads of high protein foods but if my gains slow I'll probably consider going on it as well.

Drink loads of full fat milk, I drink about 3 litres a day, sometimes more and I find it really helps me with gaining. I was very thin and struggled to put on weight, this helps. Plus loads of chicken and some protein shakes.

I do weight training usually 5 nights a week, two bodyparts a days, Legs + Back.....Shoulders + Triceps and Chest + Back...

About 4 exercises on each muscle, each muscle group exercise I usually do 4 sets of either 15, 12, 10 & 8 or 12, 10, 8 & 6. Lifting heavier each time. I train alone but it can be benefical to have a training partner to spot you on a weight that you feel you're going to struggle with. It can be just another person in the gym, call them over when you need help.

That's why doing it at home can be harder. I use to train at home but I must say my strength has sky-rocketed since I joined a gym.

Are you serious? The guys I know are normal and large, don't know any skinny ones... I'm sure they would want you to be healthy. You are a healthy weight. :)

Do you like skinny skinny guys? Or normal sized guys? Sorry if the question is intrusive. Just curious. :)

Are you serious? The guys I know are normal and large, don't know any skinny ones... I'm sure they would want you to be healthy. You are a healthy weight. :)

Do you like skinny skinny guys? Or normal sized guys? Sorry if the question is intrusive. Just curious. :)

I tend to like bigger guys ... rugby types ... maybe a bit rough ... possibly a biker ...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I took up running 2 months ago. Really proud of myself, getting out most days for an hour, fitness has seriously improved and have lost a stone.

Fast forward to Bank Holiday Monday...

I just ate a bag of Tesco Wild and Whippy's over the last 2 days.

I need a serious slap on the wrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

im doin crossfit. i have the most muscle ive ever had at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »

I wanted to be Mars Bar but it was taken, look what's become of me now :( moobs all over the place.

JokerD wrote: »
    Drink loads of full fat milk, I drink about 3 litres a day, sometimes more and I find it really helps me with gaining. I was very thin and struggled to put on weight, this helps. Plus loads of chicken and some protein shakes.

I do weight training usually 5 nights a week, two bodyparts a days, Legs + Back.....Shoulders + Triceps and Chest + Back...

About 4 exercises on each muscle, each muscle group exercise I usually do 4 sets of either 15, 12, 10 & 8 or 12, 10, 8 & 6. Lifting heavier each time. I train alone but it can be benefical to have a training partner to spot you on a weight that you feel you're going to struggle with. It can be just another person in the gym, call them over when you need help.

That's why doing it at home can be harder. I use to train at home but I must say my strength has sky-rocketed since I joined a gym.

I used to drink 3-4 pints of milk with dinner alone so thats about 2+ litres a day. I stopped that for 3 months because I read that it can lower your iron lvls, but I'm back on it again. I have a high protein diet anyway so I might not need protein shakes just yet:)

I'll definitely get one or two of the lads to be my gym buddy so that will keep my motivation up.
    I would agree that the gym is best but I think I can make a solid start at home and If I just wait until september I'll save €250 or so with a student discount;)

• Advertisement

I'm bisexual and from what I see, gay men want built and masculine guys, as do I.
    I'm not into thin guys at all. No offense but they're just not my type.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jigsaw07

This topic changed direction all of a sudden..lol!!

id like to be a tri-angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't think anyone would find 5ft10 and 10st attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

but do u not want a massive dong right up the ****ter??? :pac::pac:

You know what, it sounds like a gruel, but its really not.
    Imagine waking up first thing, half asleep getting dressed, grab a banana and off to the gym. I live 4 mins drive from gym so am nice and awake when I arrive in.

Warm up for 5mins then weights for 40mins or so and back out the door, down a protein shake in the car and home for breakfast. People are still only rolling out of bed and i've the whole day ahead of me free. Its a fantastic feeling. I had myself convinced that I had no energy in the mornings and that i'd be too tired to workout. Balls to that, work through it and its over before you know it.

Then I just pop out for a light 7-10k jog at night when theres no traffic and its nice and cool at 10pm, 3 nights a week. Its not hard to keep it up, its only hard to start again if you break the routine.

People go through the slog of gyming it 2-3 times a week for 90mins or more and battle with themselves all week long. Waste of time, 45mins of intense work everyday gives greats results and its much easier to get in and out asap, first thing in the morning. :)

kitty9 wrote: »
    but do u not want a massive dong right up the ****ter??? :pac::pac:

I don't want anything up my ass!:eek: That wouldn't be my thing tbh:p

How did the thread even descend into this?:confused:

After forgetting there is no post today, I decided to go back on amazon again and I found "pefect push up v2" it seems to have very good reviews as well.
    Does it make push ups easier or more intense? I ****in hate push ups so anything to make it a bit more interesting would help me out:)

Heres a link to it if you don't get what I'm on about:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Fitness-V2-Push-Up/dp/B003YLRT0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1336417927&sr=1-1

You know what, it sounds like a gruel, but its really not.
    Imagine waking up first thing, half asleep getting dressed, grab a banana and off to the gym. I live 4 mins drive from gym so am nice and awake when I arrive in.

Warm up for 5mins then weights for 40mins or so and back out the door, down a protein shake in the car and home for breakfast. People are still only rolling out of bed and i've the whole day ahead of me free. Its a fantastic feeling. I had myself convinced that I had no energy in the mornings and that i'd be too tired to workout. Balls to that, work through it and its over before you know it.

Then I just pop out for a light 7-10k jog at night when theres no traffic and its nice and cool at 10pm, 3 nights a week. Its not hard to keep it up, its only hard to start again if you break the routine.

People go through the slog of gyming it 2-3 times a week for 90mins or more and battle with themselves all week long. Waste of time, 45mins of intense work everyday gives greats results and its much easier to get in and out asap, first thing in the morning. :)

Yeah its ALL routine. I know when I was training I couldn't go a day without doing something because I was so used to being active.
    I want to hit exercising hard to get the shock out of the way and then settle into an intense routine. I don't want to be dicking around for 3 weeks just easing myself into it because I wouldn't feel like I'm achieving much.

I plan on doing something similar to your routine and discipline myself to get it out of the way early enough in the morning. As you said, It's best to get it all done and out of the way and I completely agree!:)

Absolutely!
    Watch this guys videos, notably this one from 1:38 onwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmUrIuMCvTQ

If you're even half thinking of not going to the gym, watch one of his vids for a few minutes and you'll be out the door in a flash!

Absolutely!
    Watch this guys videos, notably this one from 1:38 onwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmUrIuMCvTQ

If you're even half thinking of not going to the gym, watch one of his vids for a few minutes and you'll be out the door in a flash!

F*CK!:eek: He is a bit of an idiot but he has a class body.
    I'm not sure if I want to be quite as big as him but this is definitely making me want to hit the gym!
    You have to love the fat guy just casually strolling into the gym after him!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Gym without free HIIT classes is rubbish for me, last month of college has severly impacted my ability to go and I feel baad about it :( (ohh you could still go, no I can't boo)

I started off too strong last week and ended up wearing myself out right before my birthday so I was extra ****ed for the last few days!:rolleyes:
    I'm back at it tomorrow morning to make up for a few lost days though.
    8 AM jog, can't wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

its not january is it?

Well... the weather is about right

Jev/N wrote: »
    Well... the weather is about right

Try running in it!

Advertisement