Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10mth old pup still pooping indoors

• 07-05-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

We've a 10mth old springer spaniel who still poops indoors. This usually takes place while she's in her cage. We leave her in the cage overnight... It's driving me mad at this stage. Normal routine day today, she was in with us since around 9pm, she last ate at around 5.30... I let her out the back for about 30 mins before going to bed. Put her in her cage n went to bed, 5 mins later she started barking, which never happens so I figured she saw/heard something... Went downstairs only to find she'd poo/peed in her cage...

I've been told dogs never soil where they sleep but she constantly does it.. Couple of times a week. If I'm with her in the house she always signals if he wants to go out but when she's alone she just can't hold it in...

What can I do to stop this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, sorry to have to ask, but what sort of consistency is her poop when this happens? And what is her behaviour? Is she panting, or submissive/guilty looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

90% of the time solid... She knows she shouldn't have done it, as soon as u let her out of the cage she legs it to the back door... it seems to mostly happen in the morn.. She could wake at anytime and go and then will just go back asleep. We let her out at around 8am most mornings... Her cage isn't too big so she can't go at one end and sleep at the other. Last week she didn't have a single accident but it's happened 3 times this week... It's rare a week goes by when it doesn't happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

When you let her out for the 30 mins before bed do you go with her and make sure she poops?

I did for a while till I was confident that she would know to go... I'm guessing I'll need to start over and do it again....

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My dogs 14 months and if I don't go with her she just seems to get distracted and forgets to go. We'll only be in 5 mins and she'll look to go out to go toilet. I find if you bring her out on the lead and don't let her off till she's done her business she'll figure out that she's to go before she can play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its usually exercise that stimulates the bowels, so could you take her out for a walk in the evenings, instead of her going out into the garden?

Cheers for the tips... Might get into the habit of going for a short walk before I head to bed. Be good for the dog aswell as myself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is her crate maybe a bit too big - like is she going to the loo at one side and sleeping on the other?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

unklerosco wrote: »
    90% of the time solid... She knows she shouldn't have done it, as soon as u let her out of the cage she legs it to the back door... it seems to mostly happen in the morn.. She could wake at anytime and go and then will just go back asleep. We let her out at around 8am most mornings... Her cage isn't too big so she can't go at one end and sleep at the other. Last week she didn't have a single accident but it's happened 3 times this week... It's rare a week goes by when it doesn't happen...

Next question... Is the poop warm when you come down, ie recently done?
    And when she's had accidents in the past, how have you dealt with her? Did you let it go, or give out to her, or punish her at all?

Advertisement