Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever slip a Father Ted reference into real life?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

"Do you know what I mean Dougal ?"
    "I do Ted"
    (pause)
    "Do you really though ?"
    "Ehh, no" followed by a blank Dougal look.

Usually used when it has become apparent that the person I'm trying to explain stuff to really hasn't got a clue what I'm talking about.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

"Fup off ya fuppin baxtard" is very handy when around impressionable ears.

We regularly have a bit of "dreamy sleepy nighty snoozy snooze" before heading to bed in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Timistry

I was at a landfill earlier and the seagulls were everywhere and annoyed the bejasus outta me. Without thinking i shouted "get away, get away, arrggghh... fecking birds" just like Fr. Jack did when the crows stole his glasses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

A couple of months ago my grandmother passed away.. Me and the family were in her kitchen with sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, tea, coffee and the lot to offer to people paying their condolences.

Anyway the priest walks in and my exact words: "Would you like a cup of tea, father?" My brother nearly shat himself.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Anytime I'm cooking a meal and get asked "What's for dinner?" I'll use the Mrs Doyle classic.

"Well, do you like chicken?" (or whatever is on the menu)

"Yes"

"Well, there's a little hint for you, what we're having for dinner, also likes chicken".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Whenever I see Craig Doyle on the TV, I shout "Who let that feckin' eejit on the telly!" beofre flinging my boot at it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Noo wrote: »
    WANT WANT WANT ALL OF THEM!!

http://www.tedstees.com/

23 euro?! He's not trying to buy cocaine!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I made the BBC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

"Bastard' this and 'bastard' that, you can't move for the bastards in her novel!" is a regular one of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

carolmarx wrote: »
    "Bastard' this and 'bastard' that, you can't move for the bastards in her novel!" is a regular one of mine.

"its wall to wall bastards!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

At a dinner party last year we had a dreaded awkward silence, it was killing me, it went on for ages, I just asked the table "So,what's your favourite humming noise"? Thank God the table all started laughing and knew it was from Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

To my boss when she corrects me ~ "If you ever say that to me again, I'll put your head through the wall"

To my boss when I want a day off work ~ "I wasn't asking for your permission"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

It's scary how many of these I use in day-to-day life without even realising it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

FatherLen wrote: »
    what?
    'Don't call me Len ya little Bollix'

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭mickey1985

Best is my friend was der with a girl he'd met n hadnt a whole lot to say so he asked her "have u seen father shorthall lately" unfort she hadnt a clue wat he was on about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

It's 6 o clock in the morning! What we should all do now is... TELL A FEW GHOST STORIES!!! Always happens at house parties, no stories though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Girl friend linked this onto me, saying this thread was made for me. The amount of lines my group of friends bring into everyday conversation is ridiculous.

When somebody will do something regardless of your wishes...."its like asking the virgin Mary to stop appearing to schoolgirls in ballinspiddal"

Whenever there's an awkward silence or a house we go to is quiet...."so have you seen father shorthall lately? He must be what, about 80 now".

Whenever we see the parish priest in the local pub, point at him and say..."he does good mass"

Whenever we see a group of Chinese people..."a great bunch of lads".

When we are over in England and someone says pounds, eg. "The tickets for the match costs 100 pounds...."100 pounds? I'm not trying to buy
    cocaine!"

Whenever we meet anyone called Tony...."I really like tony'

Whenever we're lazy feckers and don't go to college..."another lie in for the lads"

And so on. I will probably be remembering different ones used for the rest of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Sack me? Sack me? I am the BBC!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

'I had my fun, and that's all that matters'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Larry duff: ah Ted I don't think we can make it. You remember father Williams

Ted: billy, yeah

Larry: they found a big box of machine guns in his house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

'Ah I was messing with the elastic and it shot back and hit me in the eye'

When I've got the wrong end of a story 'Ah no forget what I said. I just went a bit mad there'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Whenever I have a friend over: "Right, I'll make the tea and you take off your bra".

When someone is stressed out about something: "Isn't there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Myself and a few of my friends use the Father Stone reference alot, if someone is a dry sh**e, or you can't get much talk out of them, we'd say "He's a bit of a Father Stone"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

did you just kick me up the arse?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

thats mad TED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

wasn't a quote but my then 4 year old loved the version ' kicking bishop brennan up the árse' i used to live over where i worked with my parents in the hairdressers and one day in walks Bishop smith and my dad says 'howya bishop'.. my mother watched my daughter face and promptly ran and grabbed her just as she started to point and say it . . one of the funniest moments of my life...
    I also manage 'are those my feet' when someone is boring me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Best is my friend was der with a girl he'd met n hadnt a whole lot to say so he asked her "have u seen father shorthall lately" unfort she hadnt a clue wat he was on about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

When somebody complains about a place or country, I go

"...say what you want about them, but they have the finest collections of boilers in the world,...and I include Canada in that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

"What time is somebody calling over at?"

"About 6."

"6 o'clock?"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

"No Dougal of course the priests are not fascists!

Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests .............."

"That's the great thing about Catholicism - it's very vague and no-one knows what its really all about. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

What would you say to a nice cup of tea Father? Feck Off Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I often use the "it's Irelands largest lingerie department" at work.. (work in Dunnes Ennis :) )
    Or if someone catches me not paying attention to them "Sorry Ted, I was concentrating too hard on looking holy. "

"Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight"

"The pulse not being there is bad enough, but the heart stopping is the real danger sign."

And waking someone i know "do you want a peanut"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

NUNS! Reverse!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

They were a bit obsessed with the old... S-E-X. God I'm glad I never think of that type of thing Father. That whole sexual world. God, when you think of it it's a dirty, filthy thing, isn't it Father? Can you imagine Father? Can you imagine Father, looking up at your husband, and him standing over you with his lad in his hand, wanting you to degrade yourself? God almighty can you imagine that Father? Can you picture it there Father? Oh get a good mental picture of it. Can you see him there? Ready to do the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

My mum always says 'you wouldn't hear that language in Moore Street, the flats, traveller park etc.' to which I reply 'Ah you would mum, they use terrible language' lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I'm constantly quoting Father Ted. Anything that reminds me of a particular quote at all!

"God Ted I couldn't be any happier. The sun's out, and we're in an opticians"

"It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us. Except jam made out of old women"

"They KILLED her, and stole her pen!"

"Ted... Ted... Ted I'm in immense pain Ted" "Put it DOWN Dougal!"

Anytime someone asks me something I don't know the answer to I say: "I have absolutely no idea.. where the door is".

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tjones64

hahaha saying stuff from tv show so other person says "i get the reference" that's funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mickey1985 wrote: »

Your friend is a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

When someone refuses tea i often reply with Ah now go on.. "Sure didnt the lord himself on the cross pause for a nice cup of tea before giving himself up for the world?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Ah Protestants, up to no good as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yep, I'm terrible for quoting from 'Father Ted' all the time (along with the likes of Alan Partridge, The League of Gentlemen, Monty Python, Spinal Tap, The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, etc. etc.!). The 'Tedisms' that I usually find myself shouting out on an almost daily basis when something goes wrong or doesn't work properly are "ya fuppin baxtard!", "ARSE BISCUITS!" and "oh, it's the knacker's yard for you, pal!"

And if I happen to walk into a room somewhere and there's horse racing on the telly, I can't help but shout out "Come on, Divorce Referendum!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Recently had the chance to use several Father Ted references involving an aeroplane, parachutes, a big red lever and priests. Absolute gift!

Advertisement