Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought my first bike what do you think price/bike?

• 07-05-2012 3:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Hows it going lads i bought my first bike going to collect it next week i've wanted a bike for years i used to rent motorbikes off the locals in uganda when i was 15/16 and spent most of my time just cruising the countryside it was great craic. The new regulations is what made me bite the bullet, just wondering what do you think of the price etc...
    The bike looked to be in good condition no rust or dents in frame,
    very low mileage for the year
    Its a 97 honda cmx rebel 250cc [well 234cc, 12kw]
    Mileage is 7902
    I was told during the week the tyres, sprocket, chain, new battery and ignition had just been changer for the nct. I bought it in clonmel motorcycles for E1700 with a three month warranty. seems like alot of work done don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but i had heard that the honda engine is bulletproof. Has anyone had any experience with this shop? The lad in the shop Pat is a pure gent great to deal with i though. I chose the rebel because i wanted something nice and small to learn on.
    [IMG][/img]bike1qg.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [IMG][/img]bike2g.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [IMG][/img][IMG][/img]bike4j.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us:cool::cool::)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Rode a Rebel for a few months a couple of years back. Grand wee bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I was told during the week the tyres, sprocket, chain, new battery and ignition had just been changer for the nct

Did the bike shop tell you this ?

There is no NCT for motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

oleras wrote: »

8 thousand miles in 15 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

The bike has a UK tax disk - maybe the changes were done to pass the MOT and then exported here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Mine had 2400 on the odometer when buying (after 11 years), but prior to buying I was told by an experienced biker, you can never really believe any mileage on a bike as it may or may not be accurate and they are easier to tamper with than cars.
    When getting my bike, I looked at mileage(but generally didn't pay too much attention) instead I looked at the overall condition.

My own opinion in cars or bikes(not much experience) is that something that has high/er mileage but is looked after could be ok.

Something that has low mileage will have less wear and tear but have to consider that it may have been left lying up for long periods of time between running.

Other people may differ in the following opinion, while I did buy something with low mileage I dont really believe that a significant premium has to be paid for anything with low use (mileage), thats the loss (devaluation) for someone that wants to buy new.
    If I buy new, I get the use :)

I paid less for my own bike but I did buy it private and took the risk of no warranty also, but that looks nice and clean, if you're happy with it thats what counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

ye i think i must have got my wires crossed he told me the work was done and booked in to the nct test center. just reading now it must be going there for vrt inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

When I read your post first I thought "jeez that's low mileage for such an old bike" but then I thought sure maybe it was someone's garage ornament or maybe the mileage was fiddled with - no big deal really. The old Honda engines are generally A1, I've an 19 year old CB400 and not a thing wrong with the engine in it.

But then I read the bit about NCT... something just doesn't add up there, and now you're mentioning VRT inspection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭tomaswatkins

the millage looks dodgy to me. looks very clean tho. if it were me buying another id buy a higher milage one there usually more genuine. My suzuki 250 has 22,000 and runs like a watch never had to touch engine

Just cos its low mileage, doesnt mean its not genuine
    but to me, it doesnt mean that anyone should pay a premium for a low mileage version, it shouldn't really come into it as a selling point to me anyway.
    Anyway, the OP has bought it.
    It looks like a nice bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds a bit pricey imo, but dealers can be I suppose

did well though to get so much replaced on it prior to purchase - anything perishable, irregardless of mileage, would be do a refresh after 15 years imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Merch wrote: »
    Just cos its low mileage, doesnt mean its not genuine
    but to me, it doesnt mean that anyone should pay a premium for a low mileage version, it shouldn't really come into it as a selling point to me anyway.
    Anyway, the OP has bought it.
    It looks like a nice bike.

I traded in a bike to a shop in Waterford 2 years ago and it was sent to Clonmel Motorcycles who then proceeded to knock half the milage off it. Those of you who know me will know I keep my bikes well so that lot seen the mint bike and thought they could get away with it. And the did :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KTRIC wrote: »
    I traded in a bike to a shop in Waterford 2 years ago and it was sent to Clonmel Motorcycles who then proceeded to knock half the milage off it. Those of you who know me will know I keep my bikes well so that lot seen the mint bike and thought they could get away with it. And the did :mad:

One of the guys I worked with walked by a shop in Dublin and happened to spot a 05 gsxr 750 K5 that looked exactly like the bike he had always regretted selling. So much like it, he took a note of the reg and checked it straight after getting into work. He seemed so giddy, ringing his wife begging for permission to buy it thinking of the good times. Walked into the shop the next day wanting to buy the bike, he had a fairly realistic price in mind and was willing to haggle.

"Its mint son, only 15k miles on her"

And he walked back out. He drove it for two and a half years and put 45k miles on it before selling. Not worth the time or the effort. No idea if the shop clocked it or not, but they were not going to budge on the "mint 15k" price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

There are a lot of stories of clocked bikes out there but to be fair a small capacity cruiser is quite likely not to put up a huge amount of miles. A lot of them are used by learners for sunny day spins and to be honest we don't get that many sunny days!

OP's bike could well be genuine.

Thats why I'd disregard the mileage and not pay a premium for low mileage.
    I'd go on the condition (as a person with less/limited experience on bikes)

Maybe a more experienced biker/bike buyer would relate their buying opinions regarding mileage?

Advertisement