Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just caught my first sea bass......

Options
  • 07-05-2012 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

.......and I'm over the moon :)

Sorry - just had to tell someone lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

FanadMan wrote: »

Brilliant well done, it's a fantastic feeling to get your first and you'll undoubtedly have the bass bug now, where you want to catch more :-)

What length was the fish and did it put up much of a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Congratulations! I caught my first - off the pier in Ballycotton - in 1961. It was about 3 kg. I caught five or six more that day, and never a sea bass after that, because soon afterwards I went to live in a place very far from the sea.

postcard_cartoon_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Brilliant!!
    The gory details please......
    Complete with embellishments!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Well done :D:)

You'll never forget it. I still remember catching my first ever fish back in '92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Nothing like your first, what weight was it?....

Click here to see my first, caught November last year, 7lbs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Was fishing with a mate....another bass virgin. He hooked in first but had to go back to the car to get more gear. While he was away, BANG......my first bass hooked! Wasn't much of a take or fight, prob cos we were fishing in the surf and was quite shallow. Not sure of the weight cos the scales were wrecked (that'll teach me to buy cheap stuff lol) But was just over 50cm.

Just back from digging more lugs for another session tonight :) Well, if it stays dry that is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Great stuff complete addiction now for a couple of weekssss.......

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Great stuff complete addiction now for a couple of weekssss.......

Fair play to ya I caught my first one last week too spinning for seatrout in cork harbour wasn't huge about 2lbs but it made me go out and spend a fortune on more plugs to catch more

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

Your all hooked now, bass fanatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Congratulations OP, bass is a lovely fish.
    Wasn't much of a take or fight, prob cos we were fishing in the surf and was quite shallow.

The chances are you didn't get much of a fight off it because bass tend to swim towards you when hooked.

Got my first bass over in france when i was 15. I was using 2 rods, one beachcaster, one 10 foot pier rod. Had crab on the beach caster and lug on the smaller rod, at the same time the rods both started hopping, so i grabbed the nearest one, happened to be a bass on that, got it in in about 30 seconds, fúcked it down on to the beach and grabbed the other rod, reeled that line in and had a sea breem on the end of it. Meanwhile my da who's been fishing consistently for 30+ years stood there absolutely stunned at what i had just done. Was an absolutely excellent nights fishing. Can't wait to get out fishing again this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

brilliant getting the first. got my first one off woodstown beach in waterford. great feeling. since then i'v enjoyed many night fishing out there. no more bass though haha.

brilliant getting the first. got my first one off woodstown beach in waterford. great feeling. since then i'v enjoyed many night fishing out there. no more bass though haha.

Exact same as that.....been out a few times since but no more bass either, just a range of flatties that go back home again. But it's a long summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

some nice flats to be had there on the right night, on the other hand can be very quiet down there. was just down off the lane one night and every cast i was pullin 2/3 coalie. it's effortless fishing there on a goodnight, and even if there's no fish it's a beautiful beach. you'd never hear me complain anyway

Most of the time I'm not really worried if I dont catch a fish, it's just so nice being out and relaxing by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Well Done OP.
    Just remember, the closed season starts 15th May. http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm
    you may have to wait a little while before catching your second:D

Mech1 wrote: »
    Well Done OP.
    Just remember, the closed season starts 15th May. http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm
    you may have to wait a little while before catching your second:D

I know but after talking to a few experienced bass fishermen, the closed season in Ireland is too early. They've spoken of catching fish when the season reopened that were still leaking a lot of milt. Seeing as our closed season is based on the British one and we have slightly colder waters than they do (especially up here in Donegal), our fish spawn later. Not sure how true all that is but would rather a longer or later closed season than preventing spawning.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Well done, great to get the first of any fish, my own personal favourite is the Plaice

Advertisement