Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indigenous Regional Work

Options
  • 07-05-2012 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I've recently relocated to darwin to complete my 3 month regional. However after been in Oz for 6 months now I've seen plenty,its a beautiful country but it's so expensive that I'm finding it hard to enjoy it anymore. I just want to earn a bit of money and then maybe head to Thailand/South America before travelling home.

Now as i've been here 6 months I do understand that the pavements are not paved with gold but I believe that there is serious money to be made building/renovating remote indigenous housing in the Northern territory. I did have one contact but there was no labouring work on his site.

My question is has anyone done this before and would they be able to PM me any contact numbers. Also is there any particular agencies that hire for this work and is it difficult to get work in this area on the WHV. I do understand it'll be fairly monotous work with long days but at this stage I just want to get quick cash before getting out of here. Just to clarify I would be looking for general labouring work. All advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry mods if there has been a thread on this before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Hays Construction is a starting point, stay away from Hays Labour Hire if you can, does it have to be Township work or will any Remote Work do, the turn over of staff working in Aboriginal Townships is very high because of all the restrictions involved ie, total drink/drug ban (you break this one and you will get a massive fine and/or jail time), no leaving camp/compound just for starters so i dont think a WHV would matter,

They are more or less looking for Tradesmen and not General Labouring, they try and boost the local employment by giving the Labouring work to people who live in the community, im not saying it cant be done but it would be easier if you had a skill, i have contacted a mate back home to see who he worked for in far north Queensland, if he bothers getting back to us i will post here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fintan o tooley

Thanks Aussie for that information. Was thinking it would be hard to get a labouring job, I understand they need to fill a quota from the community aswell. Can't use my degree over here for another few months so have to settle for general labouring. Heard about the Drink drugs things, don't do drugs and would be delighted not to drink for a while as I'm generally a clean living person. If that mate gets back to you please PM me. If he doesn't get back to you thanks anyway for the reply and effort

Advertisement