Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The effect of one module on GPA

Options
  • 07-05-2012 6:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

What effect does one 5 credit module have on your yearly GPA if you do 14 modules a year? The difference an A would have compared to NG in terms of GPA points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

cavan4liam wrote: »
    What effect does one 5 credit module have on your yearly GPA if you do 14 modules a year? The difference an A would have compared to NG in terms of GPA points.

why would you be doing 14 modules a year? its usually 12 modules at 5 credits each for 60 credits per stage. to find out your gpa for the year change all your grades to their gpa's and add them up then divide the answer by the number of modules you've done. that'll give you your stage gpa
    look at this for help http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 cavan4liam

Maybe if you can't read a question you shouldn't try to answer one.

well maybe you should be more clear when asking strangers on a forum for help. If you don't like my attempt at helping you go and find out from UCD directly instead of giving dickhead replies.
    If you actually bothered to look at the link i posted it will show you the different gpa calculations for each grade, basic maths will then give you the answer you need but this seems to be a little bit beyond your abilities so i suggest you beg someone with the maths skills of a 12 year old to work it out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Wow....

Maybe if you bothered to do the Maths you wouldn't need to come on here and give such a response to a perfectly reasonable answer.... what difference does an A make compared to an NG to your GPA??

An A will make it go up. An NG will make it go down. Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bad-450x450.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Yeah, p1ss off OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

He's from Cavan, whatcha expect? :pac:

:pac: I'm actually not from Cavan, its an ironic sports themed username, from your astounding intellect, I'd say you're doing Arts, so I wouldn't expect you to get it. Best of luck in exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

:pac: I'm actually not from Cavan, its an ironic sports themed username, from your astounding intellect, I'd say you're doing Arts, so I wouldn't expect you to get it. Best of luck in exams.

You slag someone off for (possibly) being an arts student and yet you can't do basic arithmetic. Herp DERP :pac:

yet your astounding intellect didn't enable you to do a few basic calculations, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

What a glorious start youve had on boards OP. Attitude's like that means ya wont be around very long for me to enjoy it.

No one here has answered it either. Obviously one fourteenth of 4.2 is the range from NG-A in one module but I was wondering if anyone knew what the increments of grades within that range were worth in points. Telling me how to get a GPA (for 12 modules even though I was asking about 14) that's already given, wasn't the greatest answer, neither was questioning why I have 14 modules. My astounding intellect can't even help me figure out whether it was your English or your maths that prevented you from answering my question.

No one here has answered it either. Obviously one fourteenth of 4.2 is the range from NG-A in one module but I was wondering if anyone knew what the increments of grades within that range were worth in points. Telling me how to get a GPA (for 12 modules even though I was asking about 14) that's already given, wasn't the greatest answer, neither was questioning why I have 14 modules. My astounding intellect can't even help me figure out whether it was your English or your maths that prevented you from answering my question.

well obviously(to non retards) you divide you addition of all your gpa's by the number of modules you are doing so yeah i told you how to do it for 12, common sense would tell you to divide it by 14 to get the answer you need. I asked why you were doing 14 modules because no one here knows you and to answer your question better people need to know your circumstances but by the way you're going on i'm sure your extra 2 modules are repeats.
    Again the grade points are in the link i posted if you can't work it out from there then no one can help you here. Some advice for you would be not to be such a prick when asking for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Well if they're repeats then those 2 modules will only affect the GPA of the stage they are assigned to.

Correct pljudge321. And Danny, you still don't understand the question I'm asking. What you're telling me to do will get me my GPA. What I'm asking is the effect of one module's result on a yearly GPA. (I wont address this to non-retards like you did, so certain people can get a good read of it)

By the way, sorry if I came across as a dick it's just the only thing that annoys me about forums is people clogging them with responses that are of no benefit just to get post count up. I like the way everyone got behind each other too!

Again from what i told you it was easy to get an answer its not my fault that your post wasn't clear, get over yourself. And yes people ''got behind'' the fact that you're a rude, self appreciating idiot who can't find an answer to an easily answered question on his own so asks for help on a forum, then insinuates that people who attempt an answer with the limited information you gave are somehow stupid

Hahaha, no, I am not an Arts student, quite the opposite. Not that there is anything wrong in the slightest with being an Arts student, of course.
    As for my intellect.. well I was awarded a Scholarship from UCD based on my results to get into the place, and my GPA from the previous Stage is well into 1:1 territory - so take from that whatever you like, I don't really care.

The are four types of GPA in UCD.
    Semester GPA, Stage GPA, Compensation GPA and Degree GPA.
    When you say "yearly" GPA, I'm assuming you mean Stage GPA. Stages may last more than one year, such as in the case of Arts - but I don't think you study that yourself..
    Stage GPA is determined from only the number of credits assigned to that stage, and does not take into account any extra-credit modules. In no case would you ever use 14 modules to calculate a Stage GPA - if it's 1 year, you would use 12 modules (60 credits), and if 2 years, 24 modules (120 credits).

If you are taking 14 modules (for example), and the extra 2 you were doing were repeated modules from the previous stage, then their result would contribute to the Stage GPA of the previous stage, and not of the stage in which they are repeated.

This link pretty much explains it all.

If, for whatever reason yourself, you wanted to calculate the GPA of 14 modules over the course of a year, and include repeat/extra modules... well then the difference between a B+ and a A- in ONE module would mean an overall difference of 0.01428571429 to the overall GPA for that year. And since that's the distance between a B+ and an A-, 0.2 grade points, well then a difference in 0.4 grade points would be double that, and so on.

Sorry Danny seems pretty straightforward to me, you should have just said you didn't understand and I could have rephrased it for you. And thanks for clarifying what I meant by 'got behind', to me, you're a great asset to the site.

Cheers beardedmaster, I knew it'd probably be something practically insignificant but I'm trying to work out what sort of time to dedicate to each module. Best of luck and sorry about the Arts comment....it was a low blow!!

It wasn't difficult to figure out the problem -

Doing 14 modules, and let's assume you got A+ in all of them, which is 4.2, then
    4.2 x 14 = 58.8
    58.8 / 14 = 4.2 GPA

Simple, yeah? Of course it is. Now let's assume you got 13 A+s and an A.
    This is done because it has the smallest possible difference between two GPAs. Yes, I know other examples do too.
    (4.2 x 13) + (4.0 x 1) = 58.6
    58.6 / 14 = 4.185714286

Take one from the other, and you get 0.01428571429
    We know that's the smallest possible difference between two GPAs, which is the difference the slight change of grade of one module would contribute to the GPA of the year.

Now, that wasn't what you asked, you didn't ask clearly in the slightest.
    What I'm asking is the effect of one module's result on a yearly GPA.
    The most obvious answer to this is exactly what everyone has been saying - one module's result is worth one fourteenth of the overall GPA.
    If you wanted your answer sooner, you should have been more clear - such as saying
    "What I'm asking is the difference on my GPA made by the change of a grade of one module." Also, if you wanted people to give an answer easier, why not tell them why you're doing 14 modules, and a bit more of the situation.
    As I, and others have said, there is no situation in which you would need the GPA for 14 modules counting for one Stage, so you should at least understand why people ask why you are doing such a thing.

• Advertisement

I'll say thanks again and leave it at that! cheers folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

By the way, sorry if I came across as a dick it's just the only thing that annoys me about forums is people clogging them with responses that are of no benefit just to get post count up. I like the way everyone got behind each other too!

sheep-Rachel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

I don't understand why this was never explained to me properly when I started. Now I'm at the end of my degree hoping that I'll get a GPA of 3.32 this semester to make up for my crap results in second year and to enable me to get a 2:1...

Advertisement