Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films that stay with you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Crying Game
    That "woman" had me fooled until the knickers dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Green Mile wrote: »
    The lives of others

Great film. Certainly one that leaves a lasting impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I've a few so I'll start with my favourite

Fight Club: I'll never forget the line "advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shít we don't need". When I see someone flaunting something they bought or wearing a brand so everyone can see, I think of that line.

American Beauty: The ending nearly made me cry it was so beautiful. The delivery of the line "...but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world" is just perfect. I can look around sometimes and think that every little thing in this world really is beautiful

The Pianist: After watching it for the first time I felt so guilty for any joke I laughed at about Jewish people. I never really understood the suffering until I seen that.
    The same with United 93: My friend told me a joke about 9/11 a few weeks ago, if he had told me it after I seen this movie I would have given him a cold stare. Never felt such strong emotions when watching a film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

one hour photo definately one that would stay with me,the acting by robin williams was just excellent in it,it felt very real watching it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Green Mile wrote: »
    I actually don't like movies because there is so much crap out there. U still watch movies though to find the powerful ones that stay with you.
    Ones that come to mind are:

The lives of others
    Angle.A
    Million dollar baby
    Gran Torino
    Love me if you dare
    The Edukators

Oh, that's my favourite film hands down. Incredible. What did you think of the ending? A bit ambiguous to say the least :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Damned United for me. I know it was something of a light-hearted affair, but several scenes stuck with me:

-Towards the end, shortly after Brian Clough (Michael Sheen) has his career as Leeds United manager cut short and he is being interviewed on television. Clough does not know that the producers of the television show have
    brought Clough's "enemy", ex-Leeds manager and then-current England manager Don Revie
    in to share the interview. Clough is thoroughly cut through and made look small, petty and ineffectual, with a summing up of "Oh, we all know who you are now, Brian Clough. A man who has brought this game, this beautiful game of ours, into disrepute." Clough is left shaken and shattered and attempts to rebut, telling
    Revie
    "Let's see where we are in a years' time. Let's see where we both are in five" and this further looks desperate and childish, while his "enemy" walks away looking far more competent and prestigious. The studio lights fade, and everyone walks away. Clough sits alone and looks as if he's about to burst into tears. He is broken, alone and his future is uncertain. He is a man who gave everything to the service of football and was so ahead of his time. He never doubted himself nor his ability, but here you can see real doubt and fear creeping into his mind. It is sad, moving and powerful.

-The reunion scene at the end of the film between
    Clough and his assistant Peter Taylor
    . While initially light-hearted, with
    Clough
    being forced to kneel, beg and grovel for forgiveness, the scene shows how two friends were reconciled and they hug each other, both being moved to tears, both admitting that they are nothing without the other. They are the sobering ying to the others' raging yang. This scene serves as a great reminder of how even the closest and most brotherly of friendships can have immense peaks and valleys.

-A show of powerful emotion is evident in the scene where Clough tries to convince the Leeds board he is the right man for the job. Such arrogance, confidence and bravado is brilliant. His claims of taking everything 'that man' won and beating it and bettering it and ending his little rant with a cheeky wink and the phrase "Brian Clough, uber fúcking Alles..." the way in which Sheen truly embodied the uber-confident Clough and made the character come to life is neatly summed up and displayed in this scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Irreversible is one of the only films i've watched without knowing a single thing about it beforehand. Left me in complete shock and one of the only films i lay awake for hours thinking about. Not just the rape scene, the nightclub too, so brutal, even when you think you've just about seen it all at this stage.

In a happier sense, Shawshank Redemption. Such a feel good ending, the camera panning away over the perfect ocean, Andy and Red just smiling after all they'd been through, all they'd shared.
    Warm fuzzy feeling, saw it Screen 1 in Savoy, probably still my favorite screen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

"snowtown" in a bad way felt **** after it , just a very depressing movie how people can treat each other that way is fcked up.

The gimp scene in Pulp Fiction is another scene :eek:, blow torches etc bring the popcorn and m + m 's hmmm :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The scene from deliverance is certainly a scene I will never forget, also agree on all the shouts for irreversible.

One of the best films I've seen in the last 10 years though that I can't reccomend enough is the french film "Un Prophet". It was in the cinema briefly, I've seen it 4 times and recently purchased it on DVD for the sole purpose of spreading the word and lending it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

For me The Lives Of Others was one that I thought about a bit after seeing it. The final few scenes really asked a few questions.

On a less serious note Top Gun was another I thought about a lot after seeing it... Unreal flying scenes and that volleyball scene and the aftermath not to mention Goses death and the music that accompanied it. Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

jiltloop wrote: »

One of the best films I've seen in the last 10 years though that I can't reccomend enough is the french film "Un Prophet". It was in the cinema briefly, I've seen it 4 times and recently purchased it on DVD for the sole purpose of spreading the word and lending it out.

yep excellent movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Life is Beautiful: I was bowled over watching this. Such a depressing story and the father's attempt to make it all into a big game for his son. Hilarious and harrowing at the same time. Its completely surreal 10/10 can't recommended it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

An unescapable, unforgettable image always pops up whenever
    we're on a walk on The Murrough.

Particulary when the clouds are out and about.

The final shot of the quiet earth. Jupiter rises or is it Saturn?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

One Flew Over Cuck Coo's Nest

Some crazy stuff going on in that movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 rtunes

Picnic at Hanging Rock......chilly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

rtunes wrote: »
    Picnic at Hanging Rock......chilly

You beat me to it. What an amazing, beautiful mysterious movie.

Another one is 'Heavenly Creatures'. I knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand and was completely blown away by it in particular by the performance of a teenage Kate Winslet.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Aliens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert De Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Enter the Void haunts me to this day and it's been almost a year since I've seen it.

Mesmerising stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Fatal Deviation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I watched films like the Omen, Psycho and Nightmare on Elm street way too young so they stayed with me for weeks.
    I also remember being particularly disturbed by a scene in Orca The Killer Whale starring Richard Harris, when I was about 8,
    where a pregnant whale is killed and hung on the deck of his fishing boat, and it miscarries. They hosed the baby whale off the boat while Orca the daddy whale is going ape **** screaming in the sea nearby.
    Put me off my food for days, but ironically the first thing I always remember eating was fish fingers. I’m being genuine here.
    I was also pretty troubled as a teenager for a while after watching Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Enter the Void haunts me to this day and it's been almost a year since I've seen it.

Mesmerising stuff.

Totally agree. Only watched it two nights ago for the first time and it's still haunting me! very well done and a real noodle scratcher. Was going to turn it off after 15 min as I thought it looked terrible but stayed with it, glad I did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭briany

Paranormal Activity. I watched it late at night not expecting much.

The Road. Mainly because it's so unrelentingly bleak.

Collapse. Micheal Ruppert talks about the potential house of cards that is the 21st century western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Enter The Void is phenomonal. Thanks for the recommendation!

Oldboy will stay with me forever. Couple of the most horrific scenes I've seen in any film ever! 10 years since I've last seen it... I'm still scarred from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I had heard of that film before so I googled it there now. Jesus H Christ why would someone want to make a film like that?

The director says it's a diary of how the people were treated by their government in Serbia.

More like his inner sickness if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Laugh, but the falling woman in Cliffhanger really put me ill at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paparia

Children Of Men for me.Can you imagine a world were no baby has been born for 18 years...scary stuff.Very underrated and easily the best film of the last 10 years for me.

it really was an awesome and shocking film, i couldn't stop thinking about it for days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paparia

most shocking for me were salo or 120 days in sodoma, oldboy, requiem for a dream and das experiment.

i will also never forget the bow and the human centiped for how shockingly bad they were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Rosemary's Baby: The ever so gentle evil control over the vunerable female lead by the people she trusted. It leaves you with a feeling of hopelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I saw The Departed in the cinema and was blown away by it.

Also collateral with Tom Cruise is very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 brocdj

Up in the air, with George Clooney. I went in just because there was nothing on but was great film, in my head for a long time after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Donny Darko, Ringu, Ju-on, Stephen Kings IT(when it was first released) and Dawn of the Dead remake all had lingering feeling of dread that stayed on my mind for a long time after watching them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

shinjuku incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Drive.

The ending was haunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Caribbean Cat

The Road.
    Without a doubt it is one film I regret watching and yet am glad I watched at the same time.
    Myself and the other person I watched it with differed on the meaning of the end..I took it the ending as a sign of hope because there was a dog and they were going off the road, a sign of humanity?My friend argued that it was the end of all hope and humanity. Either way it will always stay with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Last Exit to Brooklyn. I saw it in the Capitol Cinema one afternoon years ago and came out really depressed. It was grim stuff but still a good film. I wouldn't watch it again but if you haven't seen it you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Awakenings.

This film dawned on me for days after I first saw it. Makes you realise that you should make the most of life. Seeing how the people had come out of their coma ( ino they weren't in a coma but yous get me) but not for long and eventually return back to the way they were and the effort which Robbin Williams character had made to get them well again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Animal Kingdom - Never have the words "She's beautiful mate" been so creepy. Ben Mendelsohn is brilliant in it. Me and my mate still use that quote if one of us is chatting up a girl!

A Perfect World - Movie I watched when I was a kid with Kevin Costner (Directed by Clint), the ending still makes me well up a bit these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Recently watched Schindlers List for the first time, it is a masterpiece, I didn't think Spielberg had something like that in him. Neeson was wonderful, but then has he ever done anything poorly. Ralph Fiennes was just bone chilling, probably the best portrayal of pure evil I have ever seen.

The fact that is is historically accurate makes it all the more devastating, since watching it I have read loads about the holocaust and watched a number of documentaries. I always had an interest in WWII but this film has made it very real for me as I think that while I knew facts and figures it is difficult to think that this realistically happened in the last century. It has had a profound effect on me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Well, the movies I saw in childhood definitely stuck with me forever. Ghostbusters is the best example I think. Intelligent filmmaking enables a child to view it in one way and an adult in another. There was a lot of dialogue from Bill Murray which I wouldn't've understood until I was much older. But later in life I think his womanising of Sigourney Weaver certainly impacted on my own behaviour. Plus, it taught me all about sarcasm as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Once Were Warriors- Man this film did not go where I expected at the start. It almost seems wrong to say I enjoyed it. Her face, sweet jesus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Martha Marcy May Marlene: The ending was just... well so sudden but
    it's very very unsettling as she's at her most paranoid and there's no real sense of comfort there and left me very hollow and wanting to know if she ever got treated properly.

The Road: Just such a bleak film and felt really queasy especially when
    the father and the son are in the bathroom and Mortenson's character sticks the gun in his son's mouth. Just really haunting and nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

"The Pianist"

Powerful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

the excorcist scared the bejasus outta me

saw it when i was 14.. kept seeing your onces face everytime i close my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

21 Grams
    Donnie Darko
    Lost in Translation
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2001 : A Space Odyssey
    The Virgin Suicides
    Mulholland Drive

I'd also like to thank the poster who recommended "Before Sunrise", I watched both it and its sequel in quick sucession this weekend after realising it had been on my 'to watch' list for years now.
    They are two movies that will be staying with me for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

The Mission, a great film, with really fantastic music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watched a film called 'Detachment' with Adrien Brody last night. Absolutely superb, shot in an unusual way, some scenes look like they were filmed with a camcorder, but not in a shaky cam way. Powerful film and surprised I didn't hear more about it. Very much recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Corholio wrote: »
    Watched a film called 'Detachment' with Adrien Brody last night. Absolutely superb, shot in an unusual way, some scenes look like they were filmed with a camcorder, but not in a shaky cam way. Powerful film and surprised I didn't hear more about it. Very much recommended.

Watched this tonight. Amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement