Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 6 - *HAVE READ THE BOOKS/SPOILERS*

• 07-05-2012 7:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to hate the producers for making me wait in anguish for a week without the next one. I waited up

Anywho, Theon's taking of Winterwell was done quite well, was also good to get a backstory on how Osha and Hodor trying to get Bran and Rickon free.

Ygritte is definitely an interesting character and looking forward to see how she develops along the series.

Also, I do not remember Daenarys dragons being stolen or Jeyne Westerling concealing her identity, assuming it's her. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

PomBear wrote: »
    Also, I do not remember Daenarys dragons being stolen or Jeyne Westerling concealing her identity, assuming it's her. :confused:

Neither of those things happened. But I'm not sure it matters for the long term story. It seems like different choices that will lead to the same result. The dragon kidnapping gives Dany a good reason to go to the House of Undying and burn it to the ground. Hopefully we'll still get to see some weirdness inside of it. I think Jeyne in the book was just a cipher, and we didn't know anything about her or have a reason to care apart from how it affected other characters. This is a way to flesh out her character and why Robb falls for her, and it shouldn't fundamentally change anything major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Waiting for Ygritte to tell Jon Snow he knew nothing but it never happened.

Also interesting diversion from the book with Theon killing Cassell instead of Ramsay. Guess they want to make him more unpopular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

wingnut wrote: »
    Waiting for Ygritte to tell Jon Snow he knew nothing but it never happened.

Also interesting diversion from the book with Theon killing Cassell instead of Ramsay. Guess they want to make him more unpopular.

Also not having to create some random redshirt to die. Also perhaps so they don't have to pay for a battle outside of Winterfell between Rodrick and the Bastard.

I genuinely cried when they beheaded Ser Roderick. Mostly due to Isaac's performance. He looked so helpless.
    I'm also thrilled to have gotten another Sandor/Sansa scene! I can't wait to see how they handle the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Watching this on Mondays at lunch makes 6am starts soo much more bearable!

Above the wall - I dont know how I feel about Ygritte - in the books I felt she was alot more worldly/cynical - she seems a little too naive here. Kept waiting for her to say "you know nothing, Jon Snow". Loved her getting her grind on tho!

Winterfell - I think Id forgotten how quick this happened - and Theon making a heams of hacking off poor Ser Rodricks head broke me heart. Did love when Bran at first refused to yield (in the bedchamber) and Theon seemed to be at a loss as to what to do. Was Ramsay not already with the ironmen at this stage? I know Roose is sending him over now with backup but I thought he was in Reek mode at this stage??

Kings Landing - Loved the riot - felt just like the books and Sandor rescuing Sansa made my inner fangirl swoon. Tyrion versus Joffrey wasnt half bad either - Tyrion panicking felt very real.

Harrenhall - Arya playing the role of Tywins cupbearer is now my favourite change from the books. Love their scenes although the tension when Littlefinger was in the room was unbearable! Does he recognise her? He should from all the looks he was giving her but then again there was always more Stark than Tully in her.

Quarth - Bleugh - still bored! Although looking forward to the House of the Undying.

Wherever Robb is - I hope this girl turns out to be Jeyne Westerling undercover (unless theres an important development with Volantis way down the line where they are needed as allies). Like the flirtation and loved Catelyns reaction/warning. Foreshadowing alert or wha??

Great episode in all though - wish it was next Monday already - only 4 left now:(

• Advertisement

"I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN AND I WILL TAKE WHAT IS....."
    Shut the **** up...

Sick of hearing this line, who wrote her script?
    They know who you are, saying it in a bossy tone isn't going to get you what you want.
    Actually loved the Dany chapters in the book and now every time she's on the screen I catch myself looking around or daydreaming and having to rewind and watch it again. I like Xaro, his line about not regretting anything and the stuff he did to get where he is now was quite good.

Where's Jojen and Meera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wasn't a fan of them changing how Rodrik dies th.

Also Ygritte is far too good looking imo, from the book I got the impression she was a bit minging tbh. The riot was done pretty well, the more Tyrion slaps Joffrey upside his head the better!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pretty meh episode tbh, skimmed over alot without much depth to any of it.

Everything feels so rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

"I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN AND I WILL TAKE WHAT IS....."
    Shut the **** up...

Sick of hearing this line, who wrote her script?
    They know who you are, saying it in a bossy tone isn't going to get you what you want.
    Actually loved the Dany chapters in the book and now every time she's on the screen I catch myself looking around or daydreaming and having to rewind and watch it again. I like Xaro, his line about not regretting anything and the stuff he did to get where he is now was quite good.

Where's Jojen and Meera?

Surely Jojen and Meera have to appear to keep in line with the latter story in the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ambient Occlusion

Jojen and Meera were left out weren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The two young Walders were left out too. I am thinking a lot of us who have read the books will be left scratching our heads at the omissions and additions soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The two young Walders were left out too. I am thinking a lot of us who have read the books will be left scratching our heads at the omissions and additions soon enough.

That happened a few episodes ago tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Overall a very good episode - plenty been changed, mostly I think it spices it all up instead of ruining it.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Also Ygritte is far too good looking imo, from the book I got the impression she was a bit minging tbh. The riot was done pretty well, the more Tyrion slaps Joffrey upside his head the better!

Yeah, I do remember reading about crooked teeth and being cross eyed slightly. Hot in the "I'm not going to tell anyone cause she's kinda ugly and I feel guilty for liking her" sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Littlefnger seems to be showing up all over the place, when he isn't really mentioned in the book at all.

I liked the ygrite scene a lot, but wasn't overly taken with dany, she's not gonna have any bloodriders left soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The omissions are starting to mount up by this stage. With the Jayne Westerling character I'm guessing that they didn't want to have to cast another 2 actors as her mother and father but by changing her to a Volantian they cut out the whole "marrying the enemy" subplot.

Still though, by the time they get to doing the 4th and 5th books there is so much padding that they could cut out large swathes and I wouldn't be too bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

My 2 cents, mmmm Ygritte , While not how i pictured her they seem to have captured her spirit well enough .

The riot scene in Kings Landing was well done, tho the arm ripping scene was v walking deadish, they are really pushing the good side of tyrion tho, prob in advance of his wedding/ joffreys big day !!

think they are over doing the way Theon is being played by those around him, maybe i'm wrong but in the books he comes across as very self assure .

Dunno where the Robb/not jeyne storyline is going, a new character to replace a book one perhaps ? But why ?

As for Tywin, the scene with Arya gave a very good insight to the Lannister mindset , they were nearly ruined once and whatever the cost it will never happen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Dany's dragons getting stolen and Robb's new love interest was a big deviation from the books. It's the first time I've been very annoyed by a plot change. They are glossing over a lot of things, I hope it doesn't change too much overall.

And why are there no Reeds in it yet? I was really looking forward to seeing how they cast Jojen and Meera!

Ygritte is great, she has a wild look about her. The riot scene was very good too.

I want to see more dung thrown at Joffrey. The little bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Hmm, only an OK episode for me.

Dany is boring the feckin pants off me too, but hope that they do a good job of the house of the undying. Am I the only one who is starting to get annoyed by Tyrion? Dinklage seems to be trying too hard with him this season, almost like he's forcing it, but I still enjoy his scenes though.

Harrenhall is brilliant. The actress who plays Arya is perfect and I love her scenes with Tywin (and who would've guessed that Jaime is dyslexic huh?!)I can't wait to see Theon get his ass handed to him, I could hardly watch him kill Ser Rodrik :(

And where the heck are Jojen & Meera?

And what was with Amory Loch being killed off? He wasn't one of the names afaik.
    The arm being ripped out in the riot was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I don't mind alot of the changes to be honest. Stuff is always going to be left out.

But

They took a serious liberty with the dragon theft. A massive one!! And with her kalasaar being attacked and killed. I think she is way too protective of her dragons and her people to ever let that happen.

And as one poster said. It all feels very rushed!

Over all I'm really enjoying this series. But this was the first thing that made me say "whoa, that's not right"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ya lots of changes from the book, the series will still reach the same finale as the book hopefully, so the route they take shouldn't bother us. (but it does a bit I know).

At least Ramsey Snow has not been excluded. I don't mind the exclusion of Reek, but thank feck Ramsey wasn't left out.

I hope the "killing" of Bran and Rickon is done well, and leaves a good cliffhanger for next week, the girlfriend will go mad when she thinks they are dead. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, we've really gone off the reserve now... and tbh, I think I like it.

Arya's different kills and her scenes with Tywin are working really well imo.

Dany's just as irritating as she's become in the books: they're just getting to her being a petulant gob****e earlier in the TV series than she did in the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The omissions are starting to mount up by this stage. With the Jayne Westerling character I'm guessing that they didn't want to have to cast another 2 actors as her mother and father but by changing her to a Volantian they cut out the whole "marrying the enemy" subplot.

Still though, by the time they get to doing the 4th and 5th books there is so much padding that they could cut out large swathes and I wouldn't be too bothered.

While Oona Chaplins sallow skin lends a certain credibility to her claim to be from Volantis its still not outside the realms of possibility she is Jeyne westerling and that she is merely slumming it in the knowledge that if people knew she was highborn she wouldn't be allowed to help out on the frontlines like she is.

That said i think people can be abit to precious about these changes , the name of the girl he breaks his vow to Walder Frey for isn't nearly as important as the fact he breaks them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I didn't read the Book, So the dragons in the book didn't get taken from her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Anyone else notice the subtle eagle sound when the halfhand and jon were talking - must be the wildling skinchanger watching the crows

Cork24 wrote: »

Dangerous thread to be in so.

No the Dragons were not taken from her in the book, but its no harm to add a bit of action into her otherwise very boring book 2 storyline.

why are you in this section then - its full of major spoilers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

me, i couldnt care about spoilers.. I just cant wait to see next week show.

me, i couldn't care about spoilers....

Well in that case...

Dany dies at the end of this season/book, bet ya didn't see that coming!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess the dragon stealing thing is an attempt to lend some excitement to a rather meandering story arc.

Pre S2E1 all the non book readers I know were excitedly expecting Dany and her newborns to immediately launch an attack on KL, preferably with Joffrey getting fatally singed in the process.

But as we know 4 books later (I haven't read ADwD) she is still wandering rather aimlessly around the other continent with frankly not a lot happening (wrt the main story).
    So I think there'll be a lot of attempts to make this 3 year arc exciting. Half expecting her to clumsily lose the dragons once a series, or perhaps they'll be doing Skippy the Bush Kangaroo style rescusing of people stuck down wells.

Season 3 Dany is pretty cool with her raising her army & strom all the cities...its once she hits mereen
    & becomes a frickin hippy that is all goes pear shaped - though we do get to see some cool drogon burninating & an awesome barristan selmy chapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

madrab wrote: »
    burninating

OMG__Coloured_Trogdor_by_Philosophic_Phillus.jpg

TRRRROOOGGDOOOR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lack of Reeds was a strange one, weren't they the ones who gave Bran the insight into the green dreams?

So how are they going to progress this one at the end, both he and Rickon head off with Osha? Or Bran heads off north with Hodor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

calex71 wrote: »
    Lack of Reeds was a strange one, weren't they the ones who gave Bran the insight into the green dreams?

So how are they going to progress this one at the end, both he and Rickon head off with Osha? Or Bran heads off north with Hodor?

Myself and a mate were discussing exactly this after the episode last night. Understandably they need to trim the story to fit but we couldnt figure out how they were going to work it without the Reeds. Presumably they just wont split them up and Bran will figure everything out for himself, but its an awful shame, I think they add a lot to the story.

On a side note, is my memory playing me false or does Roose Bolton turn against Robb in Clash of Kings? I seem to recall his bastard son showing up and falling in with Theon or something...? Ive confused myself a bit about that whole section.

calex71 wrote: »

I'd say they will either introduce the Reeds in Season 3 somehow, or leave Maester Luwin alive and let him go off with Rickon, and give Osha all of the Reeds lines regarding the green dreams and the three eyed crow, and let her go with Bran north of the wall.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    On a side note, is my memory playing me false or does Roose Bolton turn against Robb in Clash of Kings? I seem to recall his bastard son showing up and falling in with Theon or something...? Ive confused myself a bit about that whole section.

I think Roose just hung out in Harrenhal, I don't think he made much of an effort in the war.

Ramsay did land up when Winterfell was about to be under siege from Ser Rodrick and his men. Ransay was supposed to be helping them, but hacked off Ser Rodricks arm and fought his men and the Ironmen. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Roose Bolton and Robb Stark are certainly still buddies up to
    the point of the Red Wedding when Roose stabs and kills Robb which I would probably count as a certain downward slope in their friendship

I don't think Robb ever finds out that Winterfell was torched, does he? I don't think he knows what Ramsay Bolton actually gets up to in the North. Edit: Maybe he does and it's blamed on the Ironmen, actually.

Newaglish wrote: »
    I don't think Robb ever finds out that Winterfell was torched, does he?

I thought he did. But they just believed it was Theon and the Ironmen, nobody lived to tell the truth of the event, that it was really the Boltons.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I thought he did. But they just believed it was Theon and the Ironmen, nobody lived to tell the truth of the event, that it was really the Boltons.

That is correct. I'm re-reading Storm of Swords at the moment, so it's all very fresh in my memory. I'm actually on
    the Red Wedding
    right now. The first time I read it I was speed reading because I knew something big was about to happen, I just didn't know what it was! Now I'm slowly going through it, kind of not wanting to get to the big thing that does happen!

I really enjoyed episode 6, although this season I'm finding Dany so annoying. I loved the scene between Arya and Tywin, I love the slant that the show is putting on him. He's almost likeable!

I'm getting a bit sad though, the season has really flown by, to think that in another few days we'll be on episode 7. Still, there's a lot to look forward to (I hope) in the next few episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

madrab wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the subtle eagle sound when the halfhand and jon were talking - must be the wildling skinchanger watching the crows

Ooh, well spotted (heard? :confused:)

Gunna watch it again tonight, must keep my ears peeled :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I heard it and was combing the screen looking for the bird but couldn't find one!

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    Roose Bolton and Robb Stark are certainly still buddies up to
    the point of the Red Wedding when Roose stabs and kills Robb which I would probably count as a certain downward slope in their friendship

I don't think Robb ever finds out that Winterfell was torched, does he? I don't think he knows what Ramsay Bolton actually gets up to in the North. Edit: Maybe he does and it's blamed on the Ironmen, actually.

Shiiiit. I took a chance with that spoiler because you were answering me but I havent gotten that far :(

My bad...

No one cares about the Freys and their miserable lives though, that's the difference. :D

No one cares about the Freys and their miserable lives though, that's the difference. :D

I care! The more Freys there are on screen, the more there is to watch die!!!!!!! Fecking Freys!!!!!!!!!! They will probably introduce loads of Freys next season, from the books there seems to be no shortage of them anyways.

How do ye think the show will handle the whole Bran and Rickon hunt? Hopefully its done well and that the non book reading viewers believe they are dead. I know my GF will go mad watching the next episode, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I care! The more Freys there are on screen, the more there is to watch die!!!!!!! Fecking Freys!!!!!!!!!! They will probably introduce loads of Freys next season, from the books there seems to be no shortage of them anyways.

How do ye think the show will handle the whole Bran and Rickon hunt? Hopefully its done well and that the non book reading viewers believe they are dead. I know my GF will go mad watching the next episode, can't wait.

I really hope they make the audience think Theon killed them at least for an episode. I'd imagine Theons first mate plays Reeks role and puts the idea to kill 2 other boys and burn them.

And then suprise the audience with Bran and Rickon emerging from beneath a smouldering Winterfell. That is the shinging light of hope at the end of the book, looking forward to it.

I'd imagine Theons first mate plays Reeks role and puts the idea to kill 2 other boys and burn them. .

Was thinking that too.

Dagmer Cleftjaw that is. Think in the book he never came past Torrehen's Square. No harm giving him some of Reeks roles, since Reek is left out.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You should have some pie. It will calm you down :)

I expected Brienne to be much much uglier, anyone else think so? The actress cast for Brienne isn't even that ugly anyway. Also Vargo Hoat should have appeared by now shouldn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I really hope they make the audience think Theon killed them at least for an episode. I'd imagine Theons first mate plays Reeks role and puts the idea to kill 2 other boys and burn them.

I'm hoping that the last scene of the series will be them emerging from the crypts to a burning Winterfell. Now that would be a scene to end on!

Also Vargo Hoat should have appeared by now shouldn't he?

I was thinking that too. Its a strange series so far. They seem to cutting things anywhere they can but then at the same time completely stretching things out necessarily, e.g Renly.

While we're on the topic, whats up with Jon running after Ygritte? In the book I recall, he just lets her go and doesnt see her again til she vouches for him after he kills Qorin, but in the show theres a few minutes of useless added stuff...

I was thinking that too. Its a strange series so far. They seem to cutting things anywhere they can but then at the same time completely stretching things out necessarily, e.g Renly.

While we're on the topic, whats up with Jon running after Ygritte? In the book I recall, he just lets her go and doesnt see her again til she vouches for him after he kills Qorin, but in the show theres a few minutes of useless added stuff...
    I assume it's for simplicity's sake. People that haven't read the books would be inundated with information already. I imagine that's the same reason that they omitted the Reeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement