Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cabling issue with TV etc - Remote Pyramid

• 07-05-2012 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am moving to a new place where all the outlets for the tv etc are on one wall and the OH wants the TV on the other wall.

I have heard that it is possible to set up the DVD etc on Wall A and put the TV on Wall B just hooked up to power. Then buy and install a 'remote pryamid' which had all the dvd cables and tv cables plugged into it and a usb reciever in the tv so I dont have to run wire across the room.

As is evident above I am in no way tech savy so any help would be appreciated.

PS I do not live near a store to ask any Q's and will need to order the gadget on the net

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Home Entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you are looking to send a TV signal wirelessly from a wall outlet to across the room then you need something with a TV tuner plugged into the wall outlet.

You never mentioned if where you are moving to has UPC/SKY/Roof aerial.

Basically you need a matching box plugged into the wall outlet.

In theory you can use a cheap wireless video senderbut I would not recommend this

For modern good quality TV pictures you need a HDMI Video sender which are 200 euro upwards.

Generally it's better and easier just to run good quality coax under the carpet or along the skirting board.

If you don't want to mount the box beside the TV then use a HDMI between the two.

So my advice

1) Can you run a thin white coax extension lead

2) Can you run a HDMI lead?

3) Buy a HDMI wireless video sender
    such as:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-hdmi-video-sender-kit-503801

or for bad picture quality try:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5347926/Trail/searchtext%3EVIDEO+SENDER.htm

Please let us know which provider you will be with and where you want the TV box and DVD player box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

FYI , No wireless HDMI sender system has been ratified by HDMI.org and for good reason , none of them work reliably.

There are or were two systems vying for the market , both have been dropped by their original parent companies ( they were originally priced at $1000 plus ) and units now are only available through third party liquidation sellers ( like maplins ).

One system , the one linked above, works at 5Ghz , thats not enough bandwidth to send 1080p without some serious compression , which is what the linked unit does, and results pretty much suck. Artifacts abound , and some SD video senders actually produce better results.

The other system worked at 60ghz, so plenty of bandwidth , however it was extremely directional and line of site only , and even a bug flying through the stream could cause it to crash.

So buyer beware , wireless HDMI senders dont work well if at all. 200 pounds is a lot to pay for well below par performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm guessing a new "OH" would be cheaper ?! ;)

Ken

Advertisement