Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Comparatives question?

• 07-05-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi :)
    My teacher has never covered the two-part comparatives questions with us in class as she says it's a really risky strategy to do them, but I would like to have the option open. However I'm wondering: I know you write about one text for part (a), but when you go to part (b) to compare the other two, do you also need to reference/compare the text from part (a)? Or can you ignore it completely?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Risky?! They're beautiful, they never change <3

You absolutely do not talk about your third text though, just the other two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Risky?! They're beautiful, they never change <3

You absolutely do not talk about your third text though, just the other two :)

Thanks! :) She's always told us that students tend to repeat themselves in both halves of the question, so it's better to have one long chunk of writing. But I think it would be fairly easy not to repeat yourself since they're about different texts...? Still, thank you!

That makes no sense to me, I always do those ones and my teacher always advises us to do them...sure how could you repeat yourself when you cant talk about the same text :pac: They're by far the easier option :) No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

That's great :) One other thing - would I be better to choose way ahead of time (i.e. now!) which text I'm going to use for the part (a), and learn it more in-depth, or should I just wait and see which is easier to talk about on the day?

(My texts are Sive, Inside I'm Dancing and Wuthering Heights. I was thinking of using WH for the part a, but I'm worried in case the question turns out to be more specific and I don't have enough to say about WH on its own...)

Is there one that you find harder to make comparisons with? My three are The Kite Runner, The Constant Gardener and Purple Hibiscus and we always use CG as the (a) because while its similar, the other two are far more alike. I'd definitely have something prepared. The thing is the question is generally "How you came to understand the GV+V in your text", or "theme can teach us a lesson. How did you learn a lesson through one text?", and the (b) part just mirrors that with 'the other two' :D

I've done out my answers and did it in my mock and it worked perfectly, but I'd get your teacher to correct it first, if he/she doesnt mind you doing it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hi :)
    My teacher has never covered the two-part comparatives questions with us in class as she says it's a really risky strategy to do them, but I would like to have the option open. However I'm wondering: I know you write about one text for part (a), but when you go to part (b) to compare the other two, do you also need to reference/compare the text from part (a)? Or can you ignore it completely?
    Thanks!
    I agree with Patchy~ the 2 part question is always easier! In the (B) part where you talk about your other 2 texts, if you only bring in a small discussion of your (A) text by accident or whatever, they can't take marks off you! My Teacher advises the 2 part question actually!

Advertisement