Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog flap for a double brick cavity wall.

• 07-05-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am building an extension and hope to put a dog flap for a double brick cavity wall.
    Difficult to find. Really I would like TI get the best quality possible from an insulation and security perspective.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks, Work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I had a cat flap put into my kitchen wall when my house was being built as my backdoor was going to be a glass sliding door and that would have been way too expensive to have a flap put into.
    I looked at all sorts of pricey extendable cat flaps but in the end I just asked the builder to leave a hole the right dimension so that they could clad the inside of it in ply. I bought an ordinary lockable cat flap for €13 and positioned it on the inside so that the wind wouldn't interfere with it and it works a treat. It's at floor level on the inside and I built a little step for him for the outside as it obviously at a lower level. As long as it's clad before the insulation is pumped in it will all be sealed.
    So my cat has a kind of tunnel to go through the length of the thickness of the wall. He loves it as he can go through the flap sit in the tunnel and look out for birds.
    Needless to say my builder thought I was mad, but it's no different than leaving a hole for a window.
    Not sure how it would work with a dog. Depends on the size , I guess. If it's a big dog then security is always an issue wherever you put it.

Advertisement