Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet Up Auckland??

• 07-05-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if anybody would be interested in a meet up/night out in Auckland sometime soon? Would be nice to meet some Irish people for a bit of banter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Just head to Father Teds or the Munster. Might as well be a local back in Ireland.
    Seriously, id be keen though.
    Just a thought
    A mate in Ireland hung around with a load of Aussies and Kiwis and they had a thing called New Pub Friday. Its exactly what it sounds like. Every second Friday or so they would pick a new pub and go there. Good way of getting to know a city. There was a good mix of newbies and more settled folks in the group so the newbies got to see the good pubs and the settled got to go to places they hadnt been in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Sounds good Munky :D Will see if there's anymore interest and make some plans ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Id be up for. Lots of pubs ive not been to yet! Bit of a ghost town around here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Hey guys, sorry to hijack the thread (If I do make it over there, it sounds like a great idea!!) anyway to my question, there doesn't seem to be much traffic on this forum in general so I'd like opinions of folks that are already there.

I've been filling out the expression of interest form and i was wondering how we'd (partner and myself) would prove that we do live together, everything is in my name and his post doesn't come to the house. Does immigration just take you at your word or is there other tests? Also, has anyone moved with young children? What are the schools like? How did ye find the move in general. How are ye coping without the support system of friends and family at home? Is the lifestyle significantly different (i.e. is it more family oriented than here?).

What's the jobs market like; I'm in social care/family support and the other half is an engineer (also would he be best to fill the expression of interest form because his occupation is more desirable over there than mine?), would we get jobs quickly (I know how long is a piece of string but in general) Any advice that ye might be able to give would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Hi Mr T :D

Immigration won't just take your word for it that you are a couple. If you don't have bills in both your names or a joint bank account you could send copies of photographs through the years, emails/letters you've sent to each other, flight booking confirmations with both your names on it from holidays you've been on and declarations from family members stating that you are both in a loving, stable relationship etc but we had bills and bank statements to back these up so I would probably advise you to give immigration a ring and see what other documents they will accept as proof.

More info here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/live/partner/canimovetonz/whatisrequired/evidenceofpartnership.htm

We don't have any kiddies yet so I can't answer your next few questions but take a look at these forums http://www.enz.org/forum/. There's some really good info on them and people are really helpful with any question you might have :) Also, if your on Facebook, check out www.facebook.com/irishpeoplelivinginnewzealand

I'm in healthcare myself but in the administration side of things, there does seem to be a demand for Healthcare workers here so I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding work. I don't know much about the engineering side of things but if it's on the skilled migrant list, I can only presume they are in demand. Check out sites like www.seek.co.nz, www.trademe.co.nz/jobs, jobs.nzherald.co.nz to see what's around.

When filling in the EOI, once you both have an occupation that is on the list it doesn't really matter who you put down as the 'main' applicant as you/he can also claim points for your/his occupation also. Again, you might want to ask immigration what they would advise you to do here.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Your more than welcome to PM me if you have any other questions ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

Hi guys
    Myself and my gf are new to Auckland. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people from the old sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Sounds good :)

Well that's 6 of us at least :D Feel free to bring partners, mates etc along. So where and when suits everybody? I suppose the city somewhere is probably the best place?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

I will be around this weekend if that suits people

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

did this already happen? i just flew into Auckland yesterday alone and would like to meet some people and make some friends im in the yha hostel at the moment and finding it hard to meet peoples

• Advertisement
Advertisement