Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just a quick question... I know mature students don't pay tuition fees but I have done a year of a course that I don't like (but don't think i've passed!) so would I have to pay fees if i waited a few years and then went back as a mature student?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 buttons 09

Or would I be able to just start a new course in september without paying tuition fees??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Buttons,

If you leave your current course and start a new one in Sept you will be charged fees for the first year of the new course. You would need to wait 5 years between courses to be eligible for free fees for the first year of a course again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 buttons 09

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Buttons,

If you leave your current course and start a new one in Sept you will be charged fees for the first year of the new course.

Does that mean I'd only pay fees for the first year or for the every year of the course?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

It actually depends, I think if you were to move to a 3 year course you could get away with not having to pay any fees (as far as I know). Otherwise you only pay for the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You would need to wait 5 years between courses to be eligible for free fees for the first year of a course again.

If you finish a course and start a new one does the same 5 year gap rule still apply?

• Advertisement

If you finish a course and start a new one does the same 5 year gap rule still apply?

No , the five year rule only applies to people who don't have a qualification. So for example if you complete a degree and then after 5 years decide you want to do a second one you won't be eligible for free fees under the 2nd chance rule.

buttons 09 wrote: »
    Does that mean I'd only pay fees for the first year or for the every year of the course?

Thanks!

Only for the first year of a new course. However if you did the first year in an Institute of Technology then you might be eligible for first year fees again this Sept. Theres a bit of a loop-hole with regards to Institutes of Technology and fist year fees I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

I was a mature student in 2008 (age 23) and started an undergraduate course in DIT but dropped out in the first year, before Christmas. I don't have any college qualifications. Under the second chance student rule, can I -

1. Apply for college as a mature student a second time ...?

2. Under the 5 year gap rule can I apply for a college course in a different college (TCD) starting in 2013 and receive free fees?? (What I'm getting at is I technically would have dropped out say Nov 2008 so a 2013 start would not exactly be a 5 year gap, more like 4 years 10 months...??)

Thanks
    Alison

Hi Alison :)
    allybabe84 wrote: »
    I was a mature student in 2008 (age 23) and started an undergraduate course in DIT but dropped out in the first year, before Christmas. I don't have any college qualifications. Under the second chance student rule, can I -

1. Apply for college as a mature student a second time ...?

Yes you can apply as a Mature student for another course.
    allybabe84 wrote: »
    2. Under the 5 year gap rule can I apply for a college course in a different college (TCD) starting in 2013 and receive free fees?? (What I'm getting at is I technically would have dropped out say Nov 2008 so a 2013 start would not exactly be a 5 year gap, more like 4 years 10 months...??)

The five years starts from the day you officially left the college. You would need to find out the date that DIT took you off their books as the five years starts from that date.

The best thing to do would be to contact the Dept of Ed section responsible for implementing fee policy. Its the Student Support Unit in Tullamore on 057 9325317. They should be able to give you some clarity as to your second chance status.

Good luck

Advertisement