Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 6 - *Have NOT Read the Books*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Degag wrote: »
    So.... just to confirm, The Mountain is Clegaine, the guy who gutted the three guys who held Sansa captive and whom Joffrey calls Dog? Did he actually go to Kings Landing when Ned summoned him and what happened? Can't remember.

The Mountain and the Dog are the Clegane brothers. Gregor Clegaine is the enormous bloke in Season 1 who went mad at Ser Loras (the gay lover of King Renly) when he lost the jousting at the Tournament for Ned Stark's introduction as the Hand of the King in Season 1. Ned proclaimed the Mountain an outlaw and sent several knights to catch him. He's still out there being an outlaw.

The Dog is Sandor Clegane, with the burnt face and is the bodyguard of Joffrey. He saved Sansa at the riot in Kings Landing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is still part of me that feels sorry for Theon I suppose: let's face it, he's one of life's losers really & I think he knows how pathetic he is.

Neither 'family' takes him seriously, and generally treat him with contempt; he'll never really belong to the Starks or the Greyjoys. When he does find himself taking responsibility, whether through necessity or choice, he either makes a complete balls of it (executing Ser Roderick, trying to persuade Papa Greyjoy to join Rob) or else no one really takes it/him seriously (all of the Iron islands, or Winterfell's reaction to their conqueror).

Heck, even in the affairs of the bedroom, the man can only manage the erstwhile village whore, a sea-captain's daughter and ... uhh... his own sister :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The Mountain and the Dog are the Clegane brothers. Gregor Clegaine is the enormous bloke in Season 1 who went mad at Ser Loras (the gay lover of King Renly) when he lost the jousting at the Tournament for Ned Stark's introduction as the Hand of the King in Season 1. Ned proclaimed the Mountain an outlaw and sent several knights to catch him. He's still out there being an outlaw.

The Dog is Sandor Clegane, with the burnt face and is the bodyguard of Joffrey. He saved Sansa at the riot in Kings Landing...

The Hound, not the Dog, sorry. Joffrey calls him his "Dog" though, and sometimes calls him it that as if it was his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

As the show goes on, you can see the Dog getting more pissed off with Joffrey

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thaqt part in season 1 where the hound goes for the mountain is still one of my favourites. They way he goes to his knee when the king speaks regardless of the fact mountain was swinging a sword for his head was savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I've read the books and I am watching on the tv but I am curious why does who haven't read the books don't?

btw the books are better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

amen wrote: »
    I've read the books and I am watching on the tv but I am curious why does who haven't read the books don't?

Might make for a good thread in it's own right?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

amen wrote: »

Agree this would be worth a thread in itself...

Well I decided because I like the show so much I didn't want to know what happens ahead of time.

My plan is to read each book after each season, although I still haven't started yet due to college work. Fully intend to have the first two books read before season 3 starts next year though.

I figure this way I get to blindly enjoy each season, then further flesh it out with the books afterwards.

I presume there's nothing in book 1 or 2 that could potentially spoil anything in later seasons? I'm not sure how different they are to the show in terms of how things are playing out.

Until we get to Season 5 I'm not expecting any major deviations from the books in terms of what happens.

Seasons 3 & 4 will both be covering book 3 as there's no way in hell you could condense it to a 10 part series. From there, the chronology in books 4 & 5 get a bit messy (effectively Book 5 happens in parallel to Book 4) which won't work well for TV as you'd have major characters left out for most of the season before re-introducing them in the following season etc. which would play havoc with casting. (TBH, it didn't even work that well in the books so this is one area the TV show may actually improve the narrative)

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Until we get to Season 5 I'm not expecting any major deviations from the books in terms of what happens.

Seasons 3 & 4 will both be covering book 3 as there's no way in hell you could condense it to a 10 part series. From there, the chronology in books 4 & 5 get a bit messy (effectively Book 5 happens in parallel to Book 4) which won't work well for TV as you'd have major characters left out for most of the season before re-introducing them in the following season etc. which would play havoc with casting. (TBH, it didn't even work that well in the books so this is one area the TV show may actually improve the narrative)

interesting, maybe they'll try covering book 4 & 5 in unison and spred it over 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thaqt part in season 1 where the hound goes for the mountain is still one of my favourites. They way he goes to his knee when the king speaks regardless of the fact mountain was swinging a sword for his head was savage.

that was very cool, his loyalty to the king saved his head. the horse killing scene was shocking, brilliantly done but still a wtf moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Me too,

He's becoming one of my favorite characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'd love to think HBO would give them an extra few episodes for the next few Seasons given how successful it is. Padding it out to 13 would make it much easier to explain a lot of stuff.

KerranJast wrote: »
    I'd love to think HBO would give them an extra few episodes for the next few Seasons given how successful it is. Padding it out to 13 would make it much easier to explain a lot of stuff.
    While I'd love to see it, I really can't see them doing it. The budget for this series is astronomical already and, even at that, we can see where budget constraints are impacting on the final product. A 30% increase in required footage would mean even more of the shots which should have hundreds in them being represented by 20 people etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

interesting, maybe they'll try covering book 4 & 5 in unison and spred it over 2 seasons.

Books 4 and 5 could be covered over 1 season for me. Not a whole lot happens in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Sleepy wrote: »
    The budget for this series is astronomical already

You serious, for ten episodes and corner cut with extra's and no battle scenes, whats costing so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I would have thought once you get past the pilot and series one then the cost goes down.

The crew and cast are pretty much in place now
    Of course there is turnover but the producers are very familiar with all aspects now and what they need

So I was thinking Series three would cost less then series two and so on
    Two or three extra episodes per series would be welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You serious, for ten episodes and corner cut with extra's and no battle scenes, whats costing so much?

the costumes and production design, cost of shooting in multiple countries etc, there's a ton of cgi used in every episode as well, you just don't notice it most of the time, like adding parts to Winterfell and Kings Landing and digitally altering the skies and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

krudler wrote: »
    the costumes and production design, cost of shooting in multiple countries etc, there's a ton of cgi used in every episode as well, you just don't notice it most of the time, like adding parts to Winterfell and Kings Landing and digitally altering the skies and the like.

I fear we're getting a little off-topic and i'm probably not helping...but this..explains a lot of the CGI :)

You also have a much larger cast in this than in most series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

touts wrote: »
    I’m starting to like Lord Lannister. I was surprised to hear how he thought Jamie to read and overcome his dyslexia. I’m actually beginning to sympathise with the Lannisters if someone would just finish off the King and the Queen-mother (and feed Theon to the wolves) then we would basically have a show with no real heros but no real villians and in a way you would be rooting for all sides. I think anyone of Tyrion, Jamie, Robb, Stannis, Dany would be a good eventual ruler. I suppose that flip flopping of your sympathies is what makes it such a complex show.

Are you for real!? Sure, he'd be better than Joffrey, but that's like trading in the devil for a demon.

Advertisement