Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price advertised incorrectly, where do I stand?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at an item that it priced at 50 euro in the catalogue, when I go online the exact same item ( no difference at all, same spec, same size, same everything) is listed for 239.99 euro.... what i want to know is, if I go in store to purchase this item and it's marked as 50 euro in the most recent catalogue, am I entitled to purchase it at that price?

In summary,

Catalogue = 50 euro
    Online = 239.99
    Store -- ????

If the store state to me that it's 239.99 when I go to purchase it, can I point out the 50 euro price tag in the catalogue and realistically, would they "have" to give it to me for that price?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

no, you are not entitled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Almost certainly not: on the facts you present, it looks to me like an error in the catalogue (or, possibly, that the catalogue price is out of date).

If it's not too inconvenient, it might be worth going to the store to see what price applies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Nooooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The catalogue will no doubt have an E&OE clause, and on top of that, prices are an invitation to treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

As poster above said too : The catalogue will certainly have an E&OE clause, but also a price displayed is an 'Invitation to Treat".

You have no contract with the retailer until money is passed over, it's only at that point that there's a contract of sale.

It's a pricing error and that's it.

Some retailers, as a good will gesture, might offer you the product at the lower price. But, it's entirely up to them, they're not legally obliged to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

thanks all:)

snuggles09 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking at an item that it priced at 50 euro in the catalogue, when I go online the exact same item ( no difference at all, same spec, same size, same everything) is listed for 239.99 euro.... what i want to know is, if I go in store to purchase this item and it's marked as 50 euro in the most recent catalogue, am I entitled to purchase it at that price?

In summary,

Catalogue = 50 euro
    Online = 239.99
    Store -- ????

If the store state to me that it's 239.99 when I go to purchase it, can I point out the 50 euro price tag in the catalogue and realistically, would they "have" to give it to me for that price?

Thanks all

Hi,

I've just been reading The Sun Newspaper for today and this (my) post is in Ben Dunnes section. It is word for word and there is a line at the end saying "Thank you I love your column. Joan"

My name isn't Joan and I've only ever put that post on here and didn't send anything to Ben Dunne or to the Sun newspaper?

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:eek:

No way!!!!!

amdublin wrote: »
    :eek:

No way!!!!!

yes way! I read it and went "hang on that looks very familiar" and checked here and it's the exact same word for word.

I'm just wondering how it for from here into a National Newspaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:rolleyes: hmmm

That's not good IMO!

amdublin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: hmmm

That's not good IMO!

I'll be wary now anytime I post anything here in case something would be taken and printed elsewhere..luckily it's only something non meaningless but if there are people trawling Boards looking for things for Agony Columns or something like that people could be easily identified if the right person was reading it if you get where I'm going

Bit puzzling but I don't know if this is a regular occurence? I'm perhaps just being naieve about the whole annomous posting on an internet forum practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd contact the paper and ask them. It also shows that few people actually write to some of those columns. Saved them making up a so-called letter.

Dreadful conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

You'll be standing there with your dick in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fighting Irish Please explain what you mean by that comment, and please refrain from use of words that may offend others.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, I can see how you would be irritated by your post being hijacked like that, but I don't understand your concern about privacy. This is the internet. What you post here belongs to the world. If you don't want something to be public don't put it into the public domain.

looksee wrote: »
    OP, I can see how you would be irritated by your post being hijacked like that, but I don't understand your concern about privacy. This is the internet. What you post here belongs to the world. If you don't want something to be public don't put it into the public domain.

I agree and I get where you are coming from

My point is that people would come onto boards and might post something of a personal nature, they may feel safe enough as parents, friends etc they may know do not have internet or are not part of this forum

When something is then taken from here and put into a national newspaper the chances would be that somone might recognise it, someone who might otherwise not have ( or should not have ) seen it, even though I know everything on the internet anyone can see

I'm making a hash of explaining it but do you get how I mean it to come across?

As for my post I am a little bit irritate, only for the fact that the newspaper is trying to make it look like either me or someone else took the time to write this into Ben Dunne or to their paper when it wasn't the case, they just took it from the internet and are trying to pass it off as a genuine sun reader writing in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I totally understand what you are saying, there is a sense of privacy in these forums, we hide behind user names and it gives a sense of privacy.

It would be a pity to be paranoid about what we put on here, because in general that privacy works. But. It is not private. You know that anyone who googles something that maybe you have opinions on and might have mentioned in 'real life' could easily find your post coming up on Google, and follow you here.

I agree with you about the Sun, its a rag, its annoying and they are wrong, but its a separate issue.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056627879
    The above post was also put into Ben Dunnes column last week. They are obviously just being lazy or no-one is bothered for Ben Dunnes opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Hi Ben! How's business?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

You do realise folks that the audience figures for Boards.ie absolutely trounce those of national print media? There is significantly higher chance of something being seen here than if it was in a paper and since you can't Google a news-paper, so we really need to dispell this notion that something you post here is somehow more private - the reality is absolutely the opposite. Day in and day out we get emails in from people demanding that we delete all their posts because the family member/neighbour/etc they were complaining about has figured out who they were. Not really an issue for you snuggles - you were just asking a general question but it seems that someone in the Sun appears to have decided to republish it wrapped up in some sort of "letter" to them. Pretty sad really that they don't get enough content on their own.

As for this incident; people talk about stories in the papers here on Boards all the time, 99 times out of a 100, they have the good manners to say where they read the piece (and generally link back to it providing Google Juice for the source). It's very rare (but not unheard of) for newspapers to do the same with us - I don't really understand why, but I would hazzard a guess that they simply don't like us. It's a real shame, we'd love to be working with all other forms of media - print, radio, TV and other tubes, but I would hazzard a guess that they don't employ enough people that "get" it.

Then, of course, we have to be wary of print media pulling stunts like this: http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2012/05/10/newspaper-licencing-ireland-ltd-asks-womens-aid-for-money-to-link-to-newspaper-websites/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

If we were to quote a story from the Sun we would have to link to it and even then not use the full story.
    Surely it should work the other way round, just a different medium of information in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As a matter of interest what answers did 'Ben Dunne' give to the above stolen posts? Or did the Sun just copy Boardsies replys as well?

As a matter of interest what answers did 'Ben Dunne' give to the above stolen posts? Or did the Sun just copy Boardsies replys as well?

he gave his own reply as far as i remember, i was just stunned when i saw the post i didnt really read the reply in detail, it was only about 5 lines, if anyone has Saturdays Sun it'll be in it..sure it was his own though

Advertisement