Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 07-05-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Ive a quick question that hopefully somebody here can help me out with as I wouldnt have a clue where to even start with this one.

Im looking to get setup with a monitored alarm thats monitored by "a company licensed by the Private Security Authority".

THe alarm also needs to have a "GSM Mobile telephone service back up".

Id assume Eircom would probably fit the requirments but Im in the middle of an ongoing problem with them at the minute and would rather steer clear if it all possible.

BTW Im in Co Louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What exactly is your question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Sorry, I thought it is was clear enough :o

Basically Im looking to get my house set-up with a monitored alarm.

But the companying doing the monitoring needs to have/meet criteria:

"a company licensed by the Private Security Authority"

and

"GSM Mobile telephone service back up" (whatever that means :confused::confused::confused: )

Like I said, Im open to any company who can offer me this service except Eircom.

Hope thats clear now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

An eircom hardwire is the best. As the Gsm can be blocked.

Gotcha :)

Any licenced company can set your alarm up with monitoring. Ring around and get a few quotes and see what you're getting for your money. Some companies offer a cheaper rate but include charges for call outs while others your annual fee includes all call out no matter how many.

Check the PSA register, all the info is in HERE .

GSM diallers are no longer recommended as they can easily be blocked. But it depends on what and who the alarm is protecting against. Your average opertunistic burglar more than likely wont have a GSM blocker, but a burglar who is specifically targeting a premises can easily obtain a blocker.

Is what you're quoting from an insurance company specification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Its the gardai thats pushing for that- not insurance Fred Funk. I really appreciate your advice by the way, but Im going to do this **exactly** how the Gardai specify, that way if anything does go wrong then there will be no come back on me whatsoever.

Although to be honest, the only people that would probably try and rob from me would be teenagers and the like- I really cant see a "professional theif" (for want of a better phrase) targeting me.

I had a look at that link you gave me and its very concise which is nice. ALthough I was kinda hoping for a company recommendation :o

I just want a company that will come in and get the job done with no messing or fussing.

• Advertisement

If the Gardai are pushing for a GSM then they haven't a clue about modern security. Normally those requests are for one particular sport which I'm involved in myself so I know that you got to do what they want even if it makes no sense.

HERE'S a list from the sticky, the installers in there are the ones who post in these forums. Get a few quotations and compare like for like. god luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

It's a few years since I worked in the security industry but are alarm company's still offering radio monitoring with poling? I'm not sure exactly what type of premises your looking to secure and if it would be worth the cost but it used to be a much better option than GSM in terms of how secure and reliable it is ,but it was fairly expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Neilos wrote: »
    It's a few years since I worked in the security industry but are alarm company's still offering radio monitoring with poling? I'm not sure exactly what type of premises your looking to secure and if it would be worth the cost but it used to be a much better option than GSM in terms of how secure and reliable it is ,but it was fairly expensive!

Still is expensive. The unit costs as much as the monitoring.
    More secure that the standard GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

If you log on to psa.gov.ie (hope that's right) you will find a list. I use smartt monitoring they are based in Dublin but cover country wide. Currently I paying €600 a year but that includes extended maintenance and CCTV monitoring.

This is easier :D

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    This is easier :D

Yep that's a lot easier couldn't do it on phone :-(

Yep that's a lot easier couldn't do it on phone :-(

Nice lads to deal with too. They will put anyone in touch with a local installer if they want to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 C.TECH

hmmm..should they really be putting their names and photos on their website? A monitoring station for premises with (potentially) a lot of cash? not SMART!

C.TECH wrote: »
    hmmm..should they really be putting their names and photos on their website? A monitoring station for premises with (potentially) a lot of cash? not SMART!

:rolleyes:
    I have been to this Monitoring Station its by prior appointment only and let me tell you
    1. The sites that are flicking on the monitor that you see on the website are dummy sites.
    2. The Place is like the Pentagon in terms of security.

There is as much chance of this Monitoring station been hit as there is of me winning the lotto (And I dont do the lotto)

:rolleyes:
    I have been to this Monitoring Station its by prior appointment only and let me tell you
    1. The sites that are flicking on the monitor that you see on the website are dummy sites.
    2. The Place is like the Pentagon in terms of security.

There is as much chance of this Monitoring station been hit as there is of me winning the lotto (And I dont do the lotto)

That is not what he is referring too ;)

what he said^

look at their 'About Us' page...

what he said^

look at their 'About Us' page...

My bad, I see what your getting at but would "they" really be that stupid to go for them guys , sure the blues and twos would be all over them like a shot

Tiger kidnappings of higher profile targets with less control over premises have occurred in the past, just sayin'

Tiger kidnappings of higher profile targets with less control over premises have occurred in the past, just sayin'

Stranger things have happened so I can see your point C.TECH.

Advertisement