Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applitcation question

Options
  • 07-05-2012 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Supposing a person applies for an EBR and they get refused, will that come back to haunt them if they put in for a non-EBR later down the line.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

EBR?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Ezridax wrote: »
    EBR?

Evil Black Rifle....

Unfortunately EBR is not as specific as you might think. So what did you go for. Make, model, semi, bolt, barrel length, etc. The more details about the gun, and any reason you were given for the refusal.

As for re-applying. You can re-apply for another gun, even the same one. Or you could appeal the refusal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Mike87 wrote: »
    EBR?

Evil Black Rifle....
    Not the best mindset to have.

Im just thinking about a hypothetical sitation to be honest. I have a few "traditional" rifles at the minute and thinking of getting an EBR (havent picked anything just yet).

But before I do put the application in I just want to make sure its not going to act like a black mark on my name for future applications should I get refused.

I know "in theory" it probably shouldnt matter but when has "in theory" ever counted for much.

• Advertisement

Without being nasty i would start by not calling it an EBR. I've heard that "lingo" when referring to handguns, but not so much or at all when referring to rifles.

As for design features, well yes it's important especially when referring to shotguns, as different designs can change a firearm from unrestricted to restricted, but with rifles its not so specific.

What had you in mind? Any particular rifle catch your eye?

I dont usually call it an EBR but I just wanted to get the point across quickly and effieicently.

The point/question being,

if I get refused a licence because the super doesnt like the look/name/type/style etc of the rifle will that refusal come back to haunt me if at a later date I apply for a rifle that he would usually like the look/name/type/style off..

Im far from having picked anything just yet, but these seem nice.

Blaser tactical 2
    Unique alpine tpg 1
    AX308 from AI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They're all unrestricted firearms, you shouldn't have a problem licencing one of them if you have a good reason and the security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

plenty of people have ex- military bolt actions , cannot see any problem with the rifles you have suggested.

As with the lads above they are all unrestricted, and plenty of people already have them licensed. There are two Aplines, a few blasers, couple of AI's even the odd TRG in my club.

There is not a bother licensing them once you have sufficient good reason for wanting it.

As for re-applying. If refused you have no bother re-applying. Each application is based on it's merits. So if you apply for one, and get refused you can apply again for the same or another, and technically/legally it's a brand new application, and must be considered.

The guns you listed above are all common firearms if not a tad expensive. Each one averaging about the €3,500+ mark new. None of them would be even close to what i would consider to be an EBR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

But you have to state you were refused in the past on the application form.

Thanks for answers, Im not *too* worried about being refused...

Ezridax. I understand that each application *should* not be affected by past applications.

However I just want to hear from somebody who was refused a licence and then put in an application for a different firearm at a later date and how it went.

THats all I want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I know a lad who was refused a .204 as his first rifle. went back a few weeks later with an app for a hmr and had it 5 weeks later. If your refused because it is as you say an EBR they will see this as the reason for refusal and if you were licencing say a cz 527 for hunting and that app was all in order the old app wouldnt go against it

I know a lad who was refused a .204 as his first rifle. went back a few weeks later with an app for a hmr and had it 5 weeks later. If your refused because it is as you say an EBR they will see this as the reason for refusal and if you were licencing say a cz 527 for hunting and that app was all in order the old app wouldnt go against it

Perfect..! That was the type of reply I was looking for.

For what its worth, my 22lr finally gave in last night. So before I go applying for my 300win mag Im gonna have to get a new 22. I couldnt live without my 22. SO Im using this as an experiment and putting in for an evil black.... the mossbeg 702 tactical (its semi auto). I'll let ya's know how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

2040Mossberg702_pg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

You will be applying for a restricted license if you apply for a semi auto centrefire.

Its a semi auto rimfire.... :D

If the mag holds more than 10 shots in a rimfire it's restricted also.

The main issue with the type of rifle you wish to license is going to be the Super's first question.
    Why do you need/want that rifle, and is there not another rifle that can perform the same function?
    IOW if you go for something like what is in the pic above he will want to know why a CZ, Anschutz, Ruger, etc semi auto (that looks like a standard rimfire) will not suffice.

That's not to say you will not get it, but you will always have a harder time trying to justify why such a styled firearm is needed or wanted over another. Too many lads give numerous reasons which can backfire, and end up as conditions. So if you were to say i want the rifle to train/practice for international comps. The Super could set a condition that it only be used in international comps, and not within the ROI.

That's just an example but you get the idea.

If the mag holds more than 10 shots in a rimfire it's restricted also.

I dont think it will be a big job to get it plugged to only hold the 5.... well I hope not.

That's not to say you will not get it, but you will always have a harder time trying to justify why such a styled firearm is needed or wanted over another.

Too many lads give numerous reasons which can backfire, and end up as conditions. So if you were to say i want the rifle to train/practice for international comps. The Super could set a condition that it only be used in international comps, and not within the ROI.

I know what your saying and to be honest apart from the cheap price Im not 100% sure what I'll say if he asks why wouldnt I settle for a savage or something.

Anyways, like I said I'll keep yous all up to date on how this pans out. Im hoping to find a website willing to ship to Ireland and then get talking to the FAO by the end of the week and I'll let yous know what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

more than 10 rounds makes it restricted so you can have a 10 round mag no problem. Nice lookin gun, doubt you will have much trouble licencing it if the reason is good for needing it. is it for hunting or targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The fact that it 'resembles' an assault rifle under the Restricted Firearms SI 2008 means you will need a restricted licence for it.

I wish you luck with it because I personally know of one person who has been refused a restricted licence for a rifle of a similar design. Your CS might be more open to them though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement