Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #70

Options
  • 07-05-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the next installment of the slightly later than advertised Album of the Week. This time around it was very much a two horse race. A late vote last week from Banjo proved to be the difference with Dream Theater pipping Deicide by a nose (or in this case a single vote). Angry accusatory fingers can be pointed in the direction of lord lucan who appears to have forgotten to vote altogether this time around and would surely have voted for Deicide. Right? :pac:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Here's the breakdown of the votes. Only albums with more than one vote are listed.
    Band|Album|Votes
    Dream Theater|Awake|5
    Deicide|Legion|4
    36 Crazyfists|Rest Inside the Flames|2
    Candlemass|Epicus Doomicus Metallicus|2

Here is Lie from the winning album, Awake by Dream Theater:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not my favorite DT album but still fantastic. An incredibly atmospheric album, for which a lot of credit goes to Kevin Moore for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Malice wrote: »
    Here is the next installment of the slightly later than advertised Album of the Week. This time around it was very much a two horse race. A late vote last week from Banjo proved to be the difference with Dream Theater pipping Deicide by a nose (or in this case a single vote). Angry accusatory fingers can be pointed in the direction of lord lucan who appears to have forgotten to vote altogether this time around and would surely have voted for Deicide. Right? :pac:

Damn I knew I had locked someone in the celler and not let them out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

My favourite Dream Theater album.

It's an album that is distinctly Dream Theater. The compositions are original and a bit of a departure from the previous album Images and Words and the dynamic between the musicians is more focused on songwriting as it is on the musicianship. They really knocked their heads together on this album but it's Kevin Moore's atmospheric keyboards that is binding all the songs together.

Have to say that it is also DT's most diverse album as every song is unique and there is thought behind every note played. It really encompasses a plethora of styles and techniques. Lyrically it's their best album. Again Kevin Moore.

It's an album that rewards on multiple listens too. It's melodic without being too obvious. It's darker and moodier. As for the musicians, Petrucci is superb again. There are some outstanding riffs and a few unbelievable solo's too. Myung’s bass is simple and effective. Just listen to the opening harmonics on Lifting Shadows off a Dream. What might strike listeners that may be more acquainted with Jordan Rudess's soulless noodlings is just how subtle Moore’s keyboards are. He uses restraint and doesn’t go over the top like the ostentatious Rudess, but he rather contributes to the atmosphere and dynamic of each song, letting them breathe. Surprisingly even Mike Portnoy manages to restrain himself on Awake too. Everybody is playing for the song.

While I thought Derek Sherinian's contribution on Falling into Infinity was thoughtful and in a similar vein to Kevin Moore's approach they really missed Moore on later albums. I reckon he may have reigned them in a little more which might have made some good albums great.

Space Dye Vest typifies Moore contribution as he wrote this track all by himself. It's a dark brooding piano driven meloncholy. Interestingly it probably shows the direction he might have been wanting to be going with the music which may have prompted his departure from the band.

It's a beautifully crafted Prog album. One of the best in the genre IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Not my favourite Dream Theater album by some stretch, but one which contains some fantastic tunes and still gets a listen from me every few months. "Voices", "6.00" and "Space Dye Vest" would be my highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Angry accusatory fingers can be pointed in the direction of lord lucan who appears to have forgotten to vote altogether this time around and would surely have voted for Deicide. Right? :pac:

Oops!:o

Tbh i probably would have voted for Deicide seeing as i don't like Dream Theater and have never heard of the other 2!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

lord lucan wrote: »
    I don't like Dream Theater and have never heard of the other 2!:p

And you're a mod in a Rock/Metal forum????!!

C'mon man. Get the aul Rock/Metal encyclopedia out. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

*weeps* So close but no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote: »
    i probably would have voted for Deicide seeing as i don't like Dream Theater and have never heard of the other 2!:p
    I bet you're only saying that to wind up Denny M and Max_Power1 :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I bet you're only saying that to wind up Denny M and Max_Power1 :).

I'd never stoop so low.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I wonder when the legion of deicide fans will finally get their wish

/gets coat :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I was prepared to write a big post for this, but Passneger has really hit the nail on the head. Great post!

Awake is defintely my favourite DT album, and probably my favourite album of all time. It's one of the few albums which I can just stick on again and again and not get bored of. As Passenger said, it's a masterpiece of songwriting. What really makes it for me is the atmosphere that's kept up through the whole album. Each song just has such a great feel and they flow so well into each other.
    Also, this album was LaBrie at his very best. He messed his vocal chords up on the tour and was never the same, but man he is awesome on this album. They all are

Metropolis Part 2 is often considered their masterpiece album, and for good reason, but I always felt that with Metropolis they conciously tried to write a great set of interlinking songs.
    Awake is their unintentional masterpiece in my opinion. They wrote a collection of songs that just happen to be some of the best they've ever composed. And to me the album is the most solid they ever released.

I struggle to express how much I love this album, so here's one of my favourite tracks from it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I wonder when the legion of deicide fans will finally get their wish
    /gets coat :o

Ignores pun in MP's post

In answer to your question; when they take my metal album vote from my cold dead fingers :mad:

:D

Advertisement