Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Birthday

Options
  • 07-05-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone :)
    my little girl will be one in June- i can't believe it!
    Im at a bit of a loss as to what to do for her birthday, we don't have any kids or babies in the family but I've got a couple of friends with kids between 1 and 4.
    I was thinking of having a little party in the house and maybe a bbq out the back? What sort of entertainment should i have for the kids (though there May only be a small handful of them!) like games etc? These might sound like stupid questions but she's our first and we've never really been to kids parties to get ideas!
    Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My advice would be not to go too mad! The party is for you, not her! She won't remember what you did or didn't do!

We had a 'little' party in the house which ended up being quite a big party. But it was mostly family. Everyone wants to see your little person on their first birthday.

Keep it simple. Tea and a cake for close family and friends. Take a few pics for the album and leave it at that.

If you do invite kiddies, you could have a little teddy bears picnic. Throw a rug out in the garden (or on the floor inside if the weather doesn't permit) few sandwiches and cake and some kiddies music. Its what I'd be doing if I didn't have a winter baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd 2nd keeping it simple. Your little one will be happy just having the extra attention. Don't invite more people than you can cope with and hold it in the early afternoon so everyone is gone by evening time. You, as parents, should enjoy it so I'd recommend to keep it very simple and low key.

We only invited the aunts, uncles, grandparents and nephews (20 people in a small apartment in january!) and made sandwiches and cakes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 for keeping it simple.. I wish I'd done that.. I had all the family down from both sides and laid on a big load of food etc but my Son just had a big meltdown when he saw the big crowd of people arriving :( we spent most of the day trying to console him.. in the end he spent the majority of the day in his bedroom with us all taking turns to go in and have pictures taken with him etc while he was calm..

Really the 'money shot' we were after was just him with his Birthday cake, for his baby book.. we could have saved ourselves all that hassle by just getting a little cake and taking the picture ourselves..

Hopefully things will go smoother for you and your little one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Also...send invites and put a time on it, say 2-5 so there are no stragglers when you're wrecked at 6.30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

For our little girls first birthday we wanted to keep it simple too. We went to my parents for brunch and cupcakes and then just her dad and I brought her to the zoo for the afternoon. It was lovely, no stress and just a nice family day out. IMO it's better to keep the big parties for when they can understand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I find that the first birthday is more for the parents than the baby, especially with the first child- its an achievement getting through the first year. When our baby turns one we are going to have a party/dinner for all the people who helped us out through the pregnancy and first year. We have no extended family around so really rely on our friends to support us. We will probably make it 'pot luck' (everyone bring a dish to share) and have a cake.

I don't think you need any organised activities for kids parties until they're about three, they'll be happy enough just to play. If there are some older kids coming you might just want to get some bubbles and/or balloons. Also I always have something to give the kids as a going home incentive, usually just a biscuit or a lollipop or something that will help bribe them into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We had a big fuss of a family meal for our son's first birthday but while he was good for it, it was not really a day for him - we made up for it for his second where we spent the day spoiling him without his little sister (who was born in the interim) in tow - his sister's first birthday is coming up in June too and we will probably spend the day spoiling her doing things that she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

Also you might prepare the party bags with party stuff like bubbles, baloons, crayons, party poppers, etc, and give them on party entrance. Do a little bit of face painting as well - kids are mad about it !!! Also prepare small bags with something yummy inside and give them in the end of the party :)
    +1 for keeping it simple.

Advertisement