Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another UPC 100Mb Question

• 07-05-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have 30Mb broadband from UPC which uses the Cisco EPC 2425 router. This works fine for what we use it for in the house (xbox 360 uses ethernet cable with homeplugs, PS3 and phones or laptops connect wirelessly). The signal isn't brilliant but its ok most of the time. UPC sent me a letter offering to upgrade to 100Mb for free using a "new top-of-the-range wireless modem". Is this the Thomson router that plenty of people have been having trouble with? (based on reading other threads). In those threads I noticed that people with problems often feel there isn't enough functionality in the 100Mb routers. I'm just wondering is it a no-brainer to upgrade to the 100MB for free when all I do is online gaming, download the odd torrent and connect a smartphone or laptop wirelessly. If its likely to just cause me problems then I guess I should stay with the 30Mb that is working fine.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    Hi all,

I currently have 30Mb broadband from UPC which uses the Cisco EPC 2425 router. This works fine for what we use it for in the house (xbox 360 uses ethernet cable with homeplugs, PS3 and phones or laptops connect wirelessly). The signal isn't brilliant but its ok most of the time. UPC sent me a letter offering to upgrade to 100Mb for free using a "new top-of-the-range wireless modem". Is this the Thomson router that plenty of people have been having trouble with? (based on reading other threads). In those threads I noticed that people with problems often feel there isn't enough functionality in the 100Mb routers. I'm just wondering is it a no-brainer to upgrade to the 100MB for free when all I do is online gaming, download the odd torrent and connect a smartphone or laptop wirelessly. If its likely to just cause me problems then I guess I should stay with the 30Mb that is working fine.

Thanks for any help :)

You answered your own question. You already do all this with 30mbit. 100mbit won't improve gaming or browsing speed, it may speed up some torrents, but you say you only download the odd one. Then again it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

Cheers for the quick reply :)

If the 100MB is fine for 'simple' stuff like gaming etc. then I think I'll get it as it's free and most of the problems I read about seem to be more for advanced users not having certain functions, which probably have no effect on me as I said. One other question though is what the wireless range on the 100Mb router is like? As long as it's comparable to what I have already with the Cisco EPC2425 then I may as well upgrade to 100Mb. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

One other question though is what the wireless range on the 100Mb router is like?:)

It's better than the router you already have, it has 2 antenna rather than the 1 of your current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Isn't it not better to upgrade to 100Mb solely for the move to docsis 3 which given the larger throughput and channels available would reduce congestion on the local node under docsis 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I took this deal and moved from 30mb to 100mb and my monthly charge has reduced by €13!

I received the Cisco router on Saturday. It has no visible antenna and the signal range is about as bad as the 30mb Cisco.

I installed it on Saturday and all is fine except for one PC which has always been connected by a cable. Since Saturday it looses the connection for no reason. It could be after 2 hours or 10 minutes. It is completely random. Rebooting the router does not reconnect, I have to reboot the PC. The same thing happens if I use wifi on that particular computer.

Two laptops in the house which are connected by wifi have had no problems. Has anyone experienced this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I currently have 30Mb broadband from UPC which uses the Cisco EPC 2425 router. ... UPC sent me a letter offering to upgrade to 100Mb for free using a "new top-of-the-range wireless modem".

Are you sure that's exactly what the letter said? I got one offering a new modem capable of 100 mbps at no cost, but I'd still be on 30 mbps package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

raze wrote: »
    Are you sure that's exactly what the letter said? I got one offering a new modem capable of 100 mbps at no cost, but I'd still be on 30 mbps package.

When you call them they offer you the upgrade to 100 mb. As I said above the price they then quoted was €13 per month cheaper than I was paying.

Advertisement