Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Mic Night: Looking for newbies!

• 07-05-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am organising an open mic comedy night in Dublin city centre, and I'm looking for people who are considering giving stand up comedy a go, or who are relatively new to it, to perform. The reason being, the place is expensive to rent for the night, and I need acts who can bring a minimum of about 4 to 5 friends with them (and hey, even more is great). There will be a modest cover charge on the door, and thus, by bringing your mates (performers are free, obviously) we cover the cost of renting the place and a good time is had by all.

In addition, this will be a BYOB night, so after paying the entrance fee, you can drink whatever you want.

It may sound kind of sucky to insist on bringing friends, but this is common practise in the US. It's also how the Ha'Penny Bridge Inn, Bankers and Anseo open mics work (they don't insist on it, but they tend to frown on people who come alone the first time they perform.)

If you are interested, please send me a private message.

Peace out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It may sound kind of sucky to insist on bringing friends, but this is common practise in the US. It's also how the Ha'Penny Bridge Inn, Bankers and Anseo open mics work (they don't insist on it, but they tend to frown on people who come alone the first time they perform.)

It's not really how they work. They do ask people to spread the word but the don't insist you bring friends and they also don't have an entire night of first-timers.

Where are you planning on running the night and how often?

Tricky one. The BYOB is obviously a plus, and why the venue is charging you, but in this day and age, there is no way I'll run a gig in a venue that charges me room rental.

Have a read of this:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/78468650/La-Club-Owners

Just replace "Musician" with any form of entertainer.
    Just the other day I was told by someone who owned a wine bar that they really liked our music and would love for us to play at their place. She then told me the gig paid $75 for a trio. Now $75 used to be bad money per person, let alone $75 for the whole band. It had to be a joke, right? No, she was serious.But it didn’t end there. She then informed us we had to bring 25 people minimum. Didn’t even offer us extra money if we brought 25 people. I would have laughed other than it’s not the first time I’ve gotten this proposal from club owners. But are there musicians really doing this? Yes. They are so desperate to play, they will do anything.

But lets think about this for a second and turn this around a little bit.What if I told the wine bar owner that I have a great band and we are going to play at my house. I need someone to provide and pour wine while we play. I can’t pay much, just $75 and you must bring at least 25 people who are willing to pay a $10 cover charge at the door. Now wouldn’t they look at you like you are crazy?

“Why would I do that,” they would ask? Well, because it’s great exposure for you and your wine bar. The people there would see how well you pour wine and see how good your wine is. Then they would come out to your wine bar sometime. ”But I brought all the people myself, I already know them,” they would say. Well maybe you could make up some professional looking flyers, pass them out, and get people you don’t know to come on out. ”But you are only paying me $75, How can I afford to make up flyers?”

You see how absurd this sounds, but musicians do this all the time. If they didn’t, then the club owners wouldn’t even think of asking us to do it. So this sounds like a great deal for the club owners, doesn’t it? They get a band and customers for that night, and have to pay very little if anything. But what they don’t realize is that this is NOT in their best interest. Running a restaurant, a club, a bar, is really hard. There is a lot at stake for the owner. You are trying to get loyal customers that will return because you are offering them something special. If you want great food, you hire a great chef. If you want great décor,you hire a great interior decorator. You expect these professionals to do their best at what you are hiring them to do. It needs to be the same with the band.You hire a great band and should expect great music.That should be the end of your expectations for the musicians. The music is another product for the venue to offer, no different from food or beverages.

As I say though, BYOB venues are a different kettle of fish. Make sure you ask the owner how much you'll be liable for in case no-one turns up, and how much promotion they'll do on your behalf.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Id be interested, where & when is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Hey, I'd be interested but I'm based in Glasgow but home every so often. What dates are available? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Where is this on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement