Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real landlord or not?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I'm looking for an apartment to rent and i have a appointment soon with a landlord.
    I don't know why but I'm a bit suspicious regarding the person who gave me the appointment.Maybe I'm wrong and it's just an impression but my question is how can I make sure the person who will make the visit is the real landlord?What proof can I get ?
    any tips for a good visit would be appreciated :-)

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Firstly, don't let any money pass between hands in person.

If your landlord wants money for deposit, first months rent etc tell them the only way you are willing to pay is through bank transfer.

Believe me, it can be quite the headache sorting payments out in the future when the landlord thinks you owe back rent when you in fact dont and theres no way of knowing because you pay in cash. Ive experienced this myslelf!

Id say thats the best way to ascertain if hes really who he says he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 qwerty1805

thank you, that makes sense :-)
    because i was thinking to make sure to get the apartment to leave some money to secure the apart

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

qwerty1805 wrote: »
    because i was thinking to make sure to get the apartment to leave some money to secure the apart
    You and eight other people do this. You arrive the next Friday to "move in", only to find eight other people also trying to "move in" to the same place, only to find that the person you gave the money to doesn't own the place. It happened in the boom times, and I'd say it'll happen now just as easy.

Advertisement