If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for a TV...

Options
  • 07-05-2012 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

And I thought I'd try Richer Sounds!!

Here are my requirements:

1) 37-42 '' Screen

2) Samsung/Panasonic/Sony

3) LED preferably

4) I watch lots of GAA etc. so need a TV which would be suitable

5) Full HD

6) Budget is up to €600(don't pay too much attention to this though)

I am interested in Samsung mostly, and particularly in the UE37D5000 or the UE40EH5000, but I'm still unsure!

I never considered you because I didn't know much about richersounds.ie but I have heard good recommendations:) I have to look in Currys, D.I.D. and my local electrical store yet though:)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi ChocolateChip.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Have a little look over the following screens which would suit your needs:

Panasonic TXL37E5B priced at £549.95 / 689.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl37e5b/pana-txl37e5b

Samsung UE40D5520 priced at £499.95 / 624.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-led-tvs/samsung/ue40d5520/sams-ue40d5520

The Samsung UE40EH5000 is priced at £419.95 / 524.99 Euro (This screen is an in store only purchase and can not be shipped).
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40eh5000/sams-ue40eh5000

Samsung UE40ES5500 priced at £534.95 / 669.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40es5500/sams-ue40es5500

Delivery on the screens above excluding 40EH5000 would cost £30 / 37.50 Euro anywhere in Ireland.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AldePal

Hi,
    I'm looking for a similar TV myself but am getting confused with all the different versions.
    The Samsung UE40EH5000 I understand is only a 50htz TV, is that correct? Does that make it inferior to its predecessor the UE40D5000 which is 100htz (now end-of-line)? I noticed another retailer selling a cheap UE40D5003 but I don't know how that compares again to the above two TVs?
    I also understand that the UE40EH5000 has limited connections.
    Basically I'm looking for the best Samsung 40" LED TV that is non-smart, non-3D however it appears that you have to now go for a smart tv, is that correct?
    Appreciate any guidance.
    Cheers.

AldePal wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a similar TV myself but am getting confused with all the different versions.
    The Samsung UE40EH5000 I understand is only a 50htz TV, is that correct? Does that make it inferior to its predecessor the UE40D5000 which is 100htz (now end-of-line)? I noticed another retailer selling a cheap UE40D5003 but I don't know how that compares again to the above two TVs?
    I also understand that the UE40EH5000 has limited connections.
    Basically I'm looking for the best Samsung 40" LED TV that is non-smart, non-3D however it appears that you have to now go for a smart tv, is that correct?
    Appreciate any guidance.
    Cheers.

Hi Alde,

It can get very confusing with all the new model numbers.

There has been a few changes in the new models. The new EH5000 is indeed only a 50hz screen.

If you're looking a good deal on a Samsung 40" LED check out the UE40D5520. I've got a few of these left and we're clearing them for just £479.95 / €615.32.

This would be a in-store only purchase so would need to be collected in Belfast. It isn't exactly a smart TV, does have the likes of BBC Iplayer and a few other features.

If you're after a good LED with fantastic picture quality this is well worth looking at. Here's a review from What HiFi:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/samsung-ue40d5520

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Thanks Chris.
    Seems a good TV alright.
    Just one thing - I want to connect the TV to my hifi for sound. But it seems that there is no analogue audio output. So is the only option I assume is to connect via the headphone socket but I presume that means that the TV speakers are muted?
    Alternatively I have a Dell surround sound system connected currently to my PC using 3 3.5mm jacks. Would these work with the TV?
    Much obliged.
    Alan.

Thanks Chris.
    Seems a good TV alright.
    Just one thing - I want to connect the TV to my hifi for sound. But it seems that there is no analogue audio output. So is the only option I assume is to connect via the headphone socket but I presume that means that the TV speakers are muted?
    Alternatively I have a Dell surround sound system connected currently to my PC using 3 3.5mm jacks. Would these work with the TV?
    Much obliged.
    Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You could buy a DAC which you can use to run phono cables into your amp. This would work by running an optical cable from your TV to the DAC and then phono cables from the DAC to your amp.

Here's a link to one we stock:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv-accessories/cyp/au-d3/cyp-aud3

Unfortunately I've none of the above left. But the link should give ya an idea of how it works.

Running from the headphone jack will indeed mute the TV speakers.

Do you have a link to the Dell speakers? Sounds like they should work ok, but just to be sure.

Chris

• Advertisement

Thanks Chris. That seems a good option, I'll check it out once I get a TV.
    I don't have a link for the Dell speakers as they are a discontinued line but they are labelled Dell 5650 5.1. The cable comes from the subwoofer and splits into 3. The installation sheet suggests connecting to other devices via a 3-into-1 cable (which I have lost) into the headphone socket - see scan attached.
    BTW, on the D5520, can you play a movie directly from the USB or do have to hook up a computer?

Final post, then I'll make a decision! :)

I notice now a brand new Samsung TV called ES5500. Spec-wise it appears to match the D5520. Can you offer a quality comparison between the two or is it too early to tell? Does it come in both 40" and 37". How much and do you ship to Dublin?

Thanks,
    Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Alan.

The UE40D5520 is priced at £479.95 with the new ES5500 coming in at £519.95 but at the moment, I am an unable to ship the 5500 as stock is very tight.

They are very similar in terms of spec with a few subtle differences.

The 5520 has a PC input (5500 does not), 5520 has BBCi Player (not available in the south), 5520 has 1 less HDMI connection (3 instead of 4) and doesn't have the USB record feature.

The 5520 also has a slightly larger cabinet than the 5500 which means it's not just as stylish but the sound on the 5520 is better than the 5500.

I hope this helps a little, but they are both very nice screens, with my money being on the 5520 for the better of the two buys.

Let me know if I can help any further.

ATB

Dave

Thank you for all your excellent advice. One last last question, does the D5520 come in 37"?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thank you for all your excellent advice. One last last question, does the D5520 come in 37"?

Yes and No,

Yes it does come in 37" but it's a finished line for us now....

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Reece76

Hi
    Im looking for a smart TV max 1200 euros and Samsung. Till now i was eyeing the UE40es6710/6800/6300.
    What is the main difference. I cantseem to see a lot of tests on these models.

Reece76 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im looking for a smart TV max 1200 euros and Samsung. Till now i was eyeing the UE40es6710/6800/6300.
    What is the main difference. I cantseem to see a lot of tests on these models.

Hi Reece,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Seems there's a few differences. The 6710 and the 6800 are both 400hz screens where the 6300 is just 200hz.

Different designs for each TV too. The 6300 has a warm grey surround, the 6710 has a silver surround and the 6800 has a white surround.

Here's a list of specs for all 3 screens:
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/productcompare?prda=UE40ES6300UXXU&prdb=UE40ES6800UXXU&prdc=UE40ES6710UXXU

Let me know if you've anymore questions.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.