Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Tortilla - for how long should it keep?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from Spain where I tried for the first time and loved Spanish tortilla. :) I'd like to start having it as a breakfast dish. How long would it keep for in the fridge if I made enough for a few portions? Would it freeze?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say it would last 4 of 5 days happily in the fridge.
    I wouldn't think it would freeze well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I'd say it would last 4 of 5 days happily in the fridge.
    I wouldn't think it would freeze well.

That's kinda what I thought, on both counts. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, 4-5 days is grand once you get in the fridge quickly and wrap it up.

It's lovely cold. In Pamplona (where it originated) they often eat is in sambos (bocadillo's) it's quiet nice, gives you another option when using it up :).

It's lovely cold.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, 4-5 days is grand once you get in the fridge quickly and wrap it up.

It's lovely cold. In Pamplona (where it originated) they often eat is in sambos (bocadillo's) it's quiet nice, gives you another option when using it up :).

It's lovely cold.

Yeah, it really is nice.

Plus, I love having eggs for brekkie, I find them really filling but find cooking them on work mornings hassle, and while I don't like regular omelettes, I really like the potatoey tortilla, which surprised me. So it's great that I make this ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi Sea Filly... like the sound of this - do you have a recipe ?!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

what2do wrote: »

Thanks!

just google search for a recipe for Tortilla De Patats.

Cube some spuds, par boil them, finish them in a frying pan with a little olive oil, beat 3 egges in a bowl, add the cubbed spuds to the eggs and stir, leave them for a minute or two, season and then add back to the pan after giving it a wipe with some kitchen roll and a glug of olive oil, cook until almost set, then you have two choices, the easy way or the hard way, the hard way it to turn the whole thing over using plates and messyness, the easy way is to just finish it under a grill.

You can expand on this by adding onions, peppers, cheese, chorizo, anything really.

eat it hot with some aioli or cold in a sambo.

happy days.

what2do wrote: »

Thanks!

This one looks good:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2738/real-spanish-omelette

I've yet to try it myself, but will let you know how it turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

That recipe looks about right. Although for the best results I think its better to very thinly slice the potato rather than use thick slices or cubes. There is no need to parboil them, simply shallow fry them with onion in plenty of oil (vegetable oil is fine), drain the oil, mix with eggs in a bowl, return to the pan, use a plate to turn it and voila.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Agree with Patricks suggestion of finely slicing the potato, this Delai Smith recipe is surprisingly close to the real thing as you could want http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/spanish/tortilla-spanish-omelette.html . Also, as Seaneh said, if you put it in a sandwich its really good, try cutting a tomato in half and rubbing it on the bread instead of butter. Gives a much better flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

When I was making this in industry we'd keep it for no longer than 3 days. It was a spanish trained chef that told me this so I trust his word.

Also, for the real tortilla, the potatoes should be cooked in olive oil, almost like a confit. Bring the potato up to a slow boil, you want it to lighly fry with a little colour. The onions and potato can be cooked together this way.

Also, the chef who trained me really emphasized that the potato should be very roughly chopped so that theres a variety of texture going through the tortilla.

• Advertisement
Advertisement