Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Approaching women in random places

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Essentially, it's extremely romantic to approach a woman in the street and they will appreciate it provided you are
    1. Tall
    2. Dark
    3. Handsome
    4. Suave
    5. Rich
    6. Famous

If you fail to meet any of the above criteria you are designated a "creep", and her friends will be immediately informed of this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 458

I don't think you should approach someone straight out of the blue and ask them. I think the common sense thing to do is to try and breed some familiarity with the person you want to ask out. If you get to "know them to see", you are more likely to strike up a conversation, and become friends. Then you can work from there.

458 wrote: »
    I don't think you should approach someone straight out of the blue and ask them. I think the common sense thing to do is to try and breed some familiarity with the person you want to ask out. If you get to "know them to see", you are more likely to strike up a conversation, and become friends. Then you can work from there.

In order not to come across as a creep its best to follow them?

"...breed some familiarity..."

It even sounds creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

just last week I was walking home from work and I walked passed a stunning blonde. Not wanting to miss the opportunity I turned on my heels and started following her. It was late and dark and the streets were silent. I thought she has started moving faster so I quickened my step so as not to blow the opportunity. She quickened again and so did I, intent on making my feelings known. She must have been in a hurry for she started to run and so did I. Wanting to let her know I was there I called out for her to stop but as my scarf was tightly wound around my mouth it came out 'Argghhhhhh. Arghhhhhhh'. Then something must have happened because she began screaming for help. I ran faster to come to her aid but some big dik-blocking cnut ran across the road and punched me in the face and I passed out. I woke up some time later with a terrible headache and a shiner.

Ah well I walk up and down the street every night now so I'm sure I'll see her again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Ha it always seems to be the stunning blondes that blokes are approaching on the street. I wonder is it the same girl that is turning everyone down. Try approaching an average looking girl for a change. You might stand a better chance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Try approaching an average looking girl for a change. You might stand a better chance. :D

be sure and open with telling her that too.

Ha it always seems to be the stunning blondes that blokes are approaching on the street. I wonder is it the same girl that is turning everyone down. Try approaching an average looking girl for a change. You might stand a better chance. :D

couldn't get it up TBH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Forget that, she'll know you like her but don't have the balls to ask her out. Just go for it, fortune favours the bold.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oakleafsfree

hiya. its interesing reading.yes, i v had the beer goggles approach to being chatted up, in a city centre, but also a couple of times; i v wished and just smiled harder, when i think im getting the same vibe, from a complete stranger too. and a cople of times, i v taken the independant approach and pushed my number into strangers hands too. overall, both sexes are at a lose lose situation. Men dont want to be defined as creepy and us females dont want to be seen as too strong either. otherwise, we r slags. at it all the time!!!! i wish!! so, to the original query, have your number prewritten...for a quick getaway; due to nerves. or stand firm, though your pooping your pants...such adrenaline!! and be straight. i v had all of the above to me, but then i v tried all of the above too. and some...well maybe....thats just how it is. Go back 150 years ago, our foremothers and fathers, had all been taught etiquette. From the wealthy to the minor up a chimmney. Point being, the actual way of social ettiquet was an extremeley good way of approach. Individuals then, would have pooped their pants too, but because of manners, the use of miss, master, mrs or docter...its not about classes...just the approach in their ways...very probably, none creepy, pervy, strong, pushy etc....now total breakdown between sexes. Society then all over the world, were taught the approach to any individual, whatever the social status age etc...even to hide your nerves behind!!! If anything, personally...such an opportunity as a girlie girl to be coy and giggle behind my hand, but loving it. such a tease!!!! now, for me , being coy, is because i am very shy, hide my nerves behind my aloofness. But these days, i m being told to go for it!!! theres no right way or wrong way...no beer googles have i either!! honest...busy taking the michael!!! and id go coy anyway. And do i go for it? errr no. i l save it, for the moment of total vibes again and smiles and eye contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hiya. its interesing reading.yes, i v had the beer goggles approach to being chatted up, in a city centre, but also a couple of times; i v wished and just smiled harder, when i think im getting the same vibe, from a complete stranger too. and a cople of times, i v taken the independant approach and pushed my number into strangers hands too. overall, both sexes are at a lose lose situation. Men dont want to be defined as creepy and us females dont want to be seen as too strong either. otherwise, we r slags. at it all the time!!!! i wish!! so, to the original query, have your number prewritten...for a quick getaway; due to nerves. or stand firm, though your pooping your pants...such adrenaline!! and be straight. i v had all of the above to me, but then i v tried all of the above too. and some...well maybe....thats just how it is. Go back 150 years ago, our foremothers and fathers, had all been taught etiquette. From the wealthy to the minor up a chimmney. Point being, the actual way of social ettiquet was an extremeley good way of approach. Individuals then, would have pooped their pants too, but because of manners, the use of miss, master, mrs or docter...its not about classes...just the approach in their ways...very probably, none creepy, pervy, strong, pushy etc....now total breakdown between sexes. Society then all over the world, were taught the approach to any individual, whatever the social status age etc...even to hide your nerves behind!!! If anything, personally...such an opportunity as a girlie girl to be coy and giggle behind my hand, but loving it. such a tease!!!! now, for me , being coy, is because i am very shy, hide my nerves behind my aloofness. But these days, i m being told to go for it!!! theres no right way or wrong way...no beer googles have i either!! honest...busy taking the michael!!! and id go coy anyway. And do i go for it? errr no. i l save it, for the moment of total vibes again and smiles and eye contact.

howya k8 its me d guy 4m d bar No onnsly it is!!!

Wish you'd sent a text?

Ficheall wrote: »
    howya k8 its me d guy 4m d bar No onnsly it is!!!

Wish you'd sent a text?
    a text? what! just joined, literally a couple of hours ago....dont think in my whole possesio:pn of technology, have i sat for so long. bizarre

a text? what! just joined, literally a couple of hours ago....dont think in my whole possesio:pn of technology, have i sat for so long. bizarre

As a general rule blocks of text (like your above post) are hard to read and won't be read.

Proper capitilsation and less ellipsis will also make your posts easier to read.

(Genuinely not trying to come across as a grammar-nazi, just trying to give advice.)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

As a female, I wouldn't mind as long as you attempted to make a bit of conversation with me first. I'd probably say yes if you seemed nice/ not a total weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Siuin wrote: »
    No fake tan but I'm a redhead, thank you :P

He was saying you're ginger.

Seachmall wrote: »
    As a general rule blocks of text (like your above post) are hard to read and won't be read.

Proper capitilsation and less ellipsis will also make your posts easier to read.

(Genuinely not trying to come across as a grammar-nazi, just trying to give advice.)

thanks:) never in my life have i chatted like this on any tecky thing.....

i m learning!! and the smiley faces!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I just stare at pretty girls and wait for them to make the first move.

Nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Other than on a night out, I've only been asked out twice - both times on Baggot Street. I love it. I wasn't single at the time - typical.:(

If I saw the second guy in the street now, I'd ask him out.

Wish more men would do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    FYP

Some nationalities can get away with it, don't think it suits Irish guys though. We have our own unique charm!:pac:

'Unique charm'. That's a very nice way of saying, essentially, 'get really pissed then walk up to a gang of girls yelling "WAAAAAHEEEEYYYY!!!" and hope for the best'. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Indeed they do, I have been approached many times by strangers despite not being blonde or stunning, in fact I'm pretty sure it is part of the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Katgurl wrote: »
    Indeed they do, I have been approached many times by strangers despite not being blonde or stunning, in fact I'm pretty sure it is part of the reason.

Where were you appoached?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The simple truth is: it is easy to approach women IF they like how you look.

When I was in my early 20s (late 80s) I was a Curehead (for my sins) and approaching girls was simple, as they also were Cureheads (place we always drank in when up in the big smoke was full of 'em, Bartley Dunnes) despite the fact that I was/am an extremely shy kinda guy.

I was spoiled by those times as it made me think that approaching girls would always be that easy and well received, it wasn't. That is unless I happened upon a girl that liked how I looked.

So how do you know if they like how you look?

They will look at you (minus a frown or look of fear).

If you catch them regularly glancing at you, then chances are they fancy you and are going to be open to being approaching, so noting to lose in trying to strike up a conversation.

When I was in my early 20s (late 80s) I was a Curehead (for my sins) and approaching girls was simple, as they also were Cureheads (place we always drank in when up in the big smoke was full of 'em, Bartley Dunnes) despite the fact that I was/am an extremely shy kinda guy.
    There's a song called "The Maid of Cabra West" by, I think, someone called Frank Harte, which features the name of the location "Bartley Dunnes". I've known the song for years, but that was one of those lyrics that always escaped me but didn't bother me enough to make me look it up. Now I know. Thank you, Mr. Biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 diddlysquat

I work in a shop and it happens quite a bit. Usually by foreign men though.

It can be a little awkward in that environment. Not always sure how to handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

I think if a guy approached me on the street and asked me out (in a non-creepy way ofc), I'd have to say yes purely because I'd be so impressed at him having the confidence to do it. I'd rather that then being rubbed up against and sleazed on in nightclubs like how most guys do it:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I work in a shop and it happens quite a bit. Usually by foreign men though.

It can be a little awkward in that environment. Not always sure how to handle it

I work in a similar environment (though I'm a man working with women) and I always advise them to be polite but firm with their feelings in this scenario, and take the guy's cues for what they can/can't say.

So, for example, if he tells you you look nice and you're not interested, just say "Thanks," and get back to business. If he persists and asks you out, say "No thanks," and move on. If he makes inappropriate comments, you can tell him firmly that you don't feel it's appropriate and you're not giving poor customer service. But let him cross that line first so he has nothing to fall back on if he was, say, to complain about you. Let him be shown up for being a creep.

That approach ticks all boxes: it doesn't lead lads on, you're still giving good service but also making him respect your boundaries. There are some freaks who'll persist after this (I used to have to walk one girl to her car after work every night), but they're in a tiny minority and after that you just deal with it case-by-case.

If you do like them, then I think the global standard response for those situations is: "I get off at 2." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Jorcky wrote: »
    [..] in a non-creepy way ofc

Define "non-creepy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Mate of mine met his girlfriend of 3 years(started at 15) just randomly in Dun Laoghaire(she was unreal) but I would just stumble and make it as awkward as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Girls can get a long-term boyfriend if they're overweight, plain, wearing unflattering clothes don't ya know...

Oh wait, they can't - they get a ride from a drunken guy who's dying about it the next day. It's amusing the way the above scenario is held up as how women have it so easy and men are never fussy.

Would prefer a man who didn't just fuk any girl with a pulse for the sake of it anyway tbh.

Define "non-creepy".

As in, not appearing out from behind a bush with binoculars and a trenchcoat...
    Nah, I mean not being leery or grabby or intimidating. I had a guy ask me out at the bus stop once, but he started by grabbing my hand and kissing it before he even said hi and then he wouldn't let go of my hand even when I tried to get him too, and it wasn't ballsy, it was kinda scary. If it had been in a strange place or at night, or if there were no other people around I'd have run off screaming.

• Advertisement

As in, not appearing out from behind a bush with binoculars and a trenchcoat...
    Nah, I mean not being leery or grabby or intimidating. I had a guy ask me out at the bus stop once, but he started by grabbing my hand and kissing it before he even said hi and then he wouldn't let go of my hand even when I tried to get him too, and it wasn't ballsy, it was kinda scary. If it had been in a strange place or at night, or if there were no other people around I'd have run off screaming.

Grabby is easily avoided, but the difference between a stranger's leer or smile is surely largely in the mind of the recipient? Similarly, "intimidating", within reason, depends almost as much upon the individual approachee, no?

I guess, but I mean there's some obvious leery/imtimidating stuff, like staring right at someone's boobs or seriously invading their personal space. Sure, most people have different levels of comfort about what they think is being too creepy or intense, but it's not hard to avoid the big pitfalls. Eyes up, no touching, and stay at arm's length. At least until after you get the date... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Dudess wrote: »
    Girls can get a long-term boyfriend if they're overweight, plain, wearing unflattering clothes don't ya know...

Oh wait, they can't - they get a ride from a drunken guy who's dying about it the next day. It's amusing the way the above scenario is held up as how women have it so easy and men are never fussy.

Yes they can.

Overweight men with no sense of fashion can also get girlfriends too.

I've seen it happen and one particular large girl is still going out with her boyfriend to this day. The fat guy is basically a gigolo now.

I think its got a lot more to do with the person's state of mind than their actual appearance. If they think that they can't get a boyfriend because they're fat, then they might as well just give up there and then.

a fat guy wrote: »
    Yes they can. I think its got a lot more to do with the person's state of mind than their actual appearance.

This makes me happy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Don't do it.

At best you'll just get you dreams and confidence shattered; at worst a kick in the balls and a listing on the sex offenders register.

Irish women don't like maverick types.
    No, you're better of fapping over them behind a bush, at a remote safe distance with all the rest of us.

Sumpta.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yes they can.

Overweight men with no sense of fashion can also get girlfriends too.

I've seen it happen and one particular large girl is still going out with her boyfriend to this day. The fat guy is basically a gigolo now.

I think its got a lot more to do with the person's state of mind than their actual appearance. If they think that they can't get a boyfriend because they're fat, then they might as well just give up there and then.
    I know all that, but there's a trend here of late from the same handful about how women are fussy and men aren't - to the point that they'd ride even unattractive women who make no effort, but the latter is just a drunken shag that the guy will more than likely regret. It's nothing to do with being non shallow and non fussy, it's to do with just getting his hole for the sake of it.

Yeah, the whole "any port in a storm" phrase has come up in conversation with my male friends a few times when I question male behaviour...

But I like the idea that we're all in charge of our own happiness.:D

I know all that, but there's a trend here of late from the same handful about how women are fussy and men aren't - to the point that they'd ride even unattractive women who make no effort, but the latter is just a drunken shag that the guy will more than likely regret. It's nothing to do with being non shallow and non fussy, it's to do with just getting his hole for the sake of it.

You're letting people from the Internet negatively affect you in real life.

Don't let them.

Personally, I wouldn't chase anyone who I didn't like a lot. Then again, I've stopped drinking.

You're letting people from the Internet negatively affect you in real life.

Don't let them.

Personally, I wouldn't chase anyone who I didn't like a lot. Then again, I've stopped drinking.
    No I'm just disputing the resentful, agenda-pushing rubbish from a certain coterie that women don't have to make any effort to get a man. If I was out running, hair tied back, no make-up, a fella wouldn't look twice at me - and I wouldn't expect them too. If I'm dressed up a bit with make-up on, hair done, then they show interest. Obvious stuff but flies in the face of the notion being pushed.

If I was out running, hair tied back, no make-up, a fella wouldn't look twice at me
    Guaranteed, they will try and get a good glance at jiggling boobs.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    If I was out running, hair tied back, no make-up, a fella wouldn't look twice at me
    Guaranteed, they will try and get a good glance at jiggling boobs.
    Sports bra makes 'em immovable! :pac:

No I'm just disputing the resentful, agenda-pushing rubbish from a certain coterie that women don't have to make any effort to get a man. If I was out running, hair tied back, no make-up, a fella wouldn't look twice at me - and I wouldn't expect them too. If I'm dressed up a bit with make-up on, hair done, then they show interest. Obvious stuff but flies in the face of the notion being pushed.

Well, that's just up to ones own opinion and it differs from woman to woman.

I've seen girls that look stunning without make-up on and others that have so much fake tan slapped on that I genuinely wouldn't be attracted to them.

Also, your example kinda relates to the main point of this thread in a way. Men don't approach you when you're running because it's a "random place". We go to meet women in pubs, because it's just how things are done. In other words, you don't try to meet women on the side of the road.

Unless you're after a hooker.

Edit: And does anyone else think that it's odd how we used to ask girls out anywhere when we were younger, but now (for the majority) we stick to the clubs n' pubs for that sort of thing? It's like we've regressed or something.

I dunno but I get the impression you think I'm annoyed about men not being as interested in me if I'm not wearing make-up etc? It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was only using it to back up what I'm taking about - the bitter "women are fussy and shallow, men would give any girl a chance" bollocks.
    Someone who's a bit fussy anyway seems more attractive IMO.

I dunno but I get the impression you think I'm annoyed about men not being as interested in me if I'm not wearing make-up etc? It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was only using it to back up what I'm taking about - the bitter "women are fussy and shallow, men would give any girl a chance" bollocks.
    Someone who's a bit fussy anyway seems more attractive IMO.

I actually did think you were getting a little annoyed, yes. We seem to have had a mis-communication of sorts...

Anyway, I heard a theory once on exactly why men think like that.

A small percentage of men continuously get laid, while the rest have to work for it. Because women can simply have sex with one of the small percentage of more attractive men, it gives the rest of the men the impression that women can get laid whenever they want very easily. We (The men) don't seem to get/care about the small amount of men who always get laid and focus on the women who seem to be continuously getting laid. We also don't focus on the women who don't get laid either. This gives the majority of men the impression that women don't have to work for it.

So yeah. Hope that makes sense.

A guy asked me out on the street once when I was working as a Chugger (yeah, I know:P) because I'd stopped him a few times and he recognised me. He asked me out for coffee and I said yes, and told him I'd be finished at six, but when six came, I was too embarrassed to tell the girls I worked with why I wasn't getting the bus home with them in case he never showed, so by about ten past I'd run out of reasons to stall and just left.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I was brave enough to just admit I was waiting on a cute guy who might never show and leave me standing there looking like a sap:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It's a waste of time to be honest...

9 times out of 10 the woman has a boyfriend which she loves dearly or else she thinks your a weirdo or something...

Not worth it..just being honest...

plasmaguy wrote: »
    It's a waste of time to be honest...

9 times out of 10 the woman has a boyfriend which she loves dearly or else she thinks your a weirdo or something...

Not worth it..just being honest...

If you don't know that she has a boyfriend, then you don't know her at all, now do you?

If you don't know her at all, then she's a stranger to you.

If she's a stranger to you, then why do you care what she thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I just know that men can easily misread signals that's all. Sometimes the friendliest, flirtiest women, who give you eye contact, smile at you, almost give you the come on or pretty much do, usually end up being in long term relationships. All or most women like to flirt with men even if they happen to be in serious relationships, doesn't mean they are going to drop everything for you.

They worst they can do is say no.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

They worst they can do is say no.

they can point at you in front of everyone else that's there and yell "this freak just asked me out, eewwwwwwww"

Advertisement