Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Approaching women in random places

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

they can point at you in front of everyone else that's there and yell "this freak just asked me out, eewwwwwwww"

Hahahaha, I guess, but I think that's unlikely if they're older then twelve:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I just know that men can easily misread signals that's all. Sometimes the friendliest, flirtiest women, who give you eye contact, smile at you, almost give you the come on or pretty much do, usually end up being in long term relationships. All or most women like to flirt with men even if they happen to be in serious relationships, doesn't mean they are going to drop everything for you.

That middle ground is just cop on and a bit of confidence, though. I mean, there's a big difference between 'just flirting' and 'flirting were the next step is to ask someone for their number'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Jorcky wrote: »
    Hahahaha, I guess, but I think that's unlikely if they're older then twelve:P
    so that's where he's going wrong :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jpcarlow wrote: »
    so that's where he's going wrong :pac:

you wouldn't believe the horrible things their parents say

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

My ex told me that she when she was travelling around Europe she was approached several times in cafe's, on buses/trains sitting in the Airport. She was quiet happy with this and did take things forward a few times. Once in Pompeii she was walking down a quiet street in the afternoon and a guy just came up and asked if she wanted to have sex. She thought .. Why not and took him back to her hostel. He was shocked that it worked and when they got back he couldn't get it up and he ran away mortified....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

mayotom wrote: »
    My ex told me that she when she was travelling around Europe she was approached several times in cafe's, on buses/trains sitting in the Airport. She was quiet happy with this and did take things forward a few times. Once in Pompeii she was walking down a quiet street in the afternoon and a guy just came up and asked if she wanted to have sex. She thought .. Why not and took him back to her hostel. He was shocked that it worked and when they got back he couldn't get it up and he ran away mortified....
    Any chance of a phone number or address, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

For some reason I wouldn't find it terribly weird to be approached randomly abroad, but if it was to happen in Ireland my first assumption would honestly be that he was either foreign or was a bit screwed in the head :S

I just don't think this is the Irish male's attitude towards picking up a woman- and in some ways I think that's a good thing. I've experienced the typical macho culture where men yell after women and whistle and basically degrade them publicly and it ain't pretty.

I was in a tapas bar in Dublin yesterday and when I walked past two old men drinking one looked at me and said "Oh! to be young and sober again..." lol- this for me sums up the Irish approach; good natured, non-threatening...

that said, I've never been to Coppers, so perhaps I'm just naive :S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Siuin wrote: »
    For some reason I wouldn't find it terribly weird to be approached randomly abroad, but if it was to happen in Ireland my first assumption would honestly be that he was either foreign or was a bit screwed in the head :S

I just don't think this is the Irish male's attitude towards picking up a woman- and in some ways I think that's a good thing. I've experienced the typical macho culture where men yell after women and whistle and basically degrade them publicly and it ain't pretty.

I was in a tapas bar in Dublin yesterday and when I walked past two old men drinking one looked at me and said "Oh! to be young and sober again..." lol- this for me sums up the Irish approach; good natured, non-threatening...

that said, I've never been to Coppers, so perhaps I'm just naive :S

Or you can just do what you want and not try to fit in to stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Any chance of a phone number or address, no?

no problem if you can find your way to Brisbane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Or you can just do what you want and not try to fit in to stereotypes.

I wouldn't consider it 'stereotyping' but rather learning from experiences that people of different cultures approach male/female interaction differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Siuin wrote: »
    I just don't think this is the Irish male's attitude towards picking up a woman- and in some ways I think that's a good thing.
    You think the hook up ****faced attitude is better? I may be wrong, but I think that is the typical "Irish male's attitude towards picking up a woman".
    What about those of us who don't drink?

Ficheall wrote: »
    You think the hook up ****faced attitude is better? I may be wrong, but I think that is the typical "Irish male's attitude towards picking up a woman".
    What about those of us who don't drink?

I do drink, but I still hate that attitude is awful. Mostly because guys who are drunk and hitting on you are generally only looking for one night stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ManCityChamps

Yep, Ireland is a pretty screwed up place.

I think we've progressed horribly from a religious, conservative culture to a secular, liberal culture. You cannot approach women in a public place, yet you can easily put your fingers down their pants within minutes of meeting them in a nightclub (also a public place, I might add.) :confused:

Agreed, I;m having a seriously hard time meeting nice guys since my boyfriend and I broke up, and I think it's because I actually want to be treated like a lady, instead of groped in a nightclub.

Maybe I'm just too young or in the wrong country.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I'm recently single, would love to be asked out randomly on a date! So...if there's an attraction then go for it lads! Please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Yeah I've done it.

Met my now girlfriend by going to where she worked, talking to her for a bit and asking her out.

Best thing I ever did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

It kind of happened to me. One guy was taking for my stuff in Centra, and started talking about what he was going to do later. I didn't have a clue that he was chatting me up, I just said 'That's nice!' and walked out. My ex was watching from a distance and was laughing his ass off. When I realised, I was flattered!

So if it happens again, I think I would like it, but I don't know if anything would come of it. :P

Jogathon wrote: »
    I'm recently single, would love to be asked out randomly on a date! So...if there's an attraction then go for it lads! Please??

I'm the same, go for it!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I just know that men can easily misread signals that's all. Sometimes the friendliest, flirtiest women, who give you eye contact, smile at you, almost give you the come on or pretty much do, usually end up being in long term relationships. All or most women like to flirt with men even if they happen to be in serious relationships, doesn't mean they are going to drop everything for you.
    Yeah, I know. I once approached a woman after several weeks of smiles and eye contact etc. She looked at me like I was a centipede! She wasn't flirting, she was only doing what many women do and that's testing her powers of attraction, in other words she was enjoying the attention I was giving her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I approached a girl before to talk to her. Real nasty piece of work she was as she gave me strange looks and kept calling me a wierdo.

So what if I had my willy in my hand and I was licking my lips in a suggestive way. It was for her, she should have been flattered! :mad:

I know I would've been if a man came..................to me...................willy in hand...................looking...............at me.........................hmmmm.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Agreed, I;m having a seriously hard time meeting nice guys since my boyfriend and I broke up, and I think it's because I actually want to be treated like a lady, instead of groped in a nightclub.

Maybe I'm just too young or in the wrong country.:pac:

How you's doing? :P :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm the same, go for it!!! :D

Post pics and I'll take it under consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

You cannot approach women in a public place, yet you can easily put your fingers down their pants within minutes of meeting them in a nightclub (also a public place, I might add.) :confused:

Jeez you make that sound like its a bad thing!

How you's doing? :P :pac:
    leggo wrote: »
    Post pics and I'll take it under consideration.

This isn't the street!! Good start though:)

This isn't the street!! Good start though:)

It has to be on the street? Is AH not a random enough place to approach women?
    Also, one could argue "approaching" someone on boards means there's no need to base the attraction solely on looks, and there's a slightly smaller chance of being surprised by her being thick or a nutcase.

It has to be on the street? Is AH not a random enough place to approach women?
    Also, one could argue "approaching" someone on boards means there's no need to base the attraction solely on looks, and there's a slightly smaller chance of being surprised by her being thick or a nutcase.

This is very true. And nobody likes being approached by nutcases. More chance of a guy being disappointed by an unattractive girl though:P

This is very true. And nobody likes being approached by nutcases. More chance of a guy being disappointed by an unattractive girl though:P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054892994
    :cool:

Ah, drunken pictures on the internets. Why not, that's all Facebook is...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the guys have ever done this. Have you ever approached women in random places such as on the street or in a shop, and asked them out, or asked for their phone number? Or is that considered a very creepy thing that only American's do? And girls... How would you feel about been approached by a man in Tesco's or some other place that wasn't a bar or club?

ya i did this a couple of weeks ago. was on a bus into town and a stunning girl got on. was talking to her for about 40 minutes till i got to twon. she seemed fine and gave me her number. when i tried contacting her she didnt answer the phone or repond to txt messages.

a few days later as i walking home i saw her across the road. i called over to her and she went all red and walked on really fast. i thought to myself ''what a freak''. i wouldnt mind but one of the things she said during the conversation we had while commenting about the people on her college course was that they lacked maturity. she was refering to having to repeat a year in college and the guys in her class were messers. apparently one of them stole her shoe and her reponse to this was ''do you know the way guys are really immature at that age?''...i was like ''ya i sure do''

• Advertisement

A 40 minute bus journey is hardly a fair place to strike up conversation. Surely you have to provide the opportunity for both parties to make a physical escape?

A 40 minute bus journey is hardly a fair place to strike up conversation.

i suppose being intoxicated in a chipper at three in the morning in dublin city centre is better? hmm

A 40 minute bus journey is hardly a fair place to strike up conversation. Surely you have to provide the opportunity for both parties to make a physical escape?

I don't think it's so bad as long as you leave the asking out bit 'til the end. Otherwise it's just 40 mins of awkward sitting if they say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

paky wrote: »
    i suppose being intoxicated in a chipper at three in the morning in dublin city centre is better? hmm

Gotta agree with him, a 40 minute bus journey is not a good place to approach a girl. It's just not fair on the girl if she's not interested but is trying to be polite. Has happened to me before (luckily only a 15 minute journey).

I'm all for men approaching women in public places, but not somewhere where the girl doesn't have a chance to get away from the conversation!

Gotta agree with him, a 40 minute bus journey is not a good place to approach a girl. It's just not fair on the girl if she's not interested but is trying to be polite. Has happened to me before (luckily only a 15 minute journey).

I'm all for men approaching women in public places, but not somewhere where the girl doesn't have a chance to get away from the conversation!

i dont agree, opportunity lies in the most unlikely of places. there is no uniform method in approaching women.

Yeah, it's never happend to me on a bus, so maybe I'm just not really contemplating the awkwardness entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

i dont agree, opportunity lies in the most unlikely of places. there is no uniform method in approaching women.

I agree there's no uniform method, and I'm sure it has worked for some men. I just think it's unfair on the girl who may not want to talk to you but can't really make an excuse to leave if you're sitting next to her. I know bus/train journeys are the one time I'm at my least sociable. Hate being annoyed by men or women, regardless of their intentions, when I just want to chill or listen to music.

the irish dating scene is a complete joke. women complain about having drunk men approaching them in pubs and clubs but feak out if its done any other way. obviously it doesnt apply to them all but it does seem to be the social norm here with women to go home with guys after a night out? and they dont think it seems one bit dangerous :confused:

the irish dating scene is a complete joke. women complain about having drunk men approaching them in pubs and clubs but feak out if its done any other way. obviously it doesnt apply to them all but it does seem to be the social norm here with women to go home with guys after a night out? and they dont think it seems one bit dangerous :confused:

I'd never do that. Aside from anything else, I just wouldn't be comfortable taking my clothes off in front of a stranger. Don't get how anyone does it. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't think they would freak out no matter where you approached them if you were good looking and smooth tbh. If you're not, well don't blame women.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Don't do it.

At best you'll just get you dreams and confidence shattered; at worst a kick in the balls and a listing on the sex offenders register.

Irish women don't like maverick types.
    No, you're better of fapping over them behind a bush, at a remote safe distance with all the rest of us.

It's one crowded bush all right. I wish people would bring their tissues home with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It doesn't leave us with too many options does it? Sometimes a girl might give a guy her number just to be polite, or some may give you the wrong number.:eek: Most couples seem to meet through friends or work. I don't know any couples that have met in a night club or on the street. Although the online dating seems to be very popular now. There's not as much stigma associated with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It doesn't leave us with too many options does it? Sometimes a girl might give a guy her number just to be polite, or some may give you the wrong number.:eek: Most couples seem to meet through friends or work. I don't know any couples that have met in a night club or on the street. Although the online dating seems to be very popular now. There's not as much stigma associated with that now.

Online dating is a good way to meet people. I met my ex online, and we had a good, long relationship.

It removes a lot of the pressure, social awkwardness and drunkenness from the equation.

Anyway, this thread lately has really made me feel like asking a woman out in the street or a shop.
    Look out ladies!

I met my last boyfriend in a nightclub, but the only reason we ended up in a relationship was because I refused to go home with him so he started drunk dialling me every time he was out, so I told him he owed me dinner.

I doubt he'd have ever called me again if I'd gone home with him like most girls do in nightclubs, that's why dating gets so messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Online dating is a good way to meet people. I met my ex online, and we had a good, long relationship.

It removes a lot of the pressure, social awkwardness and drunkenness from the equation.

Anyway, this thread lately has really made me feel like asking a woman out in the street or a shop.
    Look out ladies!

Yeah I met a couple of girls online too. At least with online dating you know why the women are there. The majority of women in pubs and clubs are just out to dance and have a good time with their friends - or else they have boyfriends. Either way you just don't know.

Going on a date with a stranger can seem a bit formal though. If you don't like the person you can't just walk away like you could in a club. Well you could, but it would be very rude. I've heard some women say that they've met some real freaks on the internet, which makes it difficult for the good guys.;)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't think they would freak out no matter where you approached them if you were good looking and smooth tbh. If you're not, well don't blame women.

i suppose looks would have to come into the equation but the idiot i used in my example could of had the decency or manners to at least say, ''hey look, im not interested'' and i could have responded with ''ya ok fine'' but i suppose that was asking too much.
    by the way, i dont have a problem getting women as long as its done in the socially acceptable manner i.e. pub and club
    ireland doesnt seem to be ready for the whole 'ask a woman out on the street or shopping centre', that kind of behavior is perceived as being freakish and dangerous by some :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i suppose looks would have to come into the equation but the idiot i used in my example could of had the decency or manners to at least say, ''hey look, im not interested'' and i could have responded with ''ya ok fine'' but i suppose that was asking too much.
    by the way, i dont have a problem getting women as long as its done in the socially acceptable manner i.e. pub and club
    ireland doesnt seem to be ready for the whole 'ask a woman out on the street or shopping centre', that kind of behavior is perceived as being freakish and dangerous by some :pac:

Where are these magical places where people ask women out on the street etc? I've spent half my adult life in various countries, am nearly 32, and I've never seen this carry on! For the record I met a girl in Dublin on a nitelink once that I went out with for years afterwards, simply because there was a group of us and I asked her to come back with us to mine for a drink as she lived nearby.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Where are these magical places where people ask women out on the street etc?

is this a serious question or are you just really that narrow minded?

you have to keep in mind that if your a fat ugly cow men are less likely to approach you

Domo230 wrote: »
    Classy.

I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not, but seeing as I met him in a nightclub and 3 weeks later let him buy me dinner, I kinda hope not. It's definitely not trashy:)

you have to keep in mind that if your a fat ugly cow men are less likely to approach you

I think your problem is not where you find girls to ask out, it's that you're a ****tard.:cool:

I think your problem is not where you find girls to ask out, it's that you're a ****tard.:cool:

i never said i had a problem with picking up women. i said there are generally acceptable places where and where not you can pick up women. i cant help you with your weight but you could try developing a personality and not be so rude and it may well be the balancing factor in your life :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement