Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed Driving Test

Options
  • 07-05-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I failed my driving test last week (2nd time.) I am just looking for advice.

- I picked up three grade 2's for observation turning right. Has anyone any advice on how to do this correctly?
    - Can someone explain when I should look over my right shoulder when driving?
    - When turning onto a major road does it matter which way I look first( left or right) or does it depend on which way I am trying to turn?
    - On the test I was approaching a junction to turn left but there was a woman standing on the road talking to someone and I was unsure whether to wait for her or go around her. I went around her and got a mark for position turning left. So should I have waited for her to move off in her own time?
    - I also have a problem with reaction to hazards (6 grade 2's over 2 tests). What are they and how should I react?
    - When reversing around the corner sometimes I end up a couple of foot out where the road bends but end up tight back into the kerb again. Would this be a grade 2 or 3 or as long as I stay my side of the road does it matter?

Thank You!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Hi, I failed my driving test last week (2nd time.) I am just looking for advice.

- I picked up three grade 2's for observation turning right. Has anyone any advice on how to do this correctly?
    Make sure you look into the road you are turning into and look into your right mirror prior to turning.
    - Can someone explain when I should look over my right shoulder when driving?
    Examples of when to look over your shoulder would be when moving off, when overtaking, changing lanes
    - When turning onto a major road does it matter which way I look first( left or right) or does it depend on which way I am trying to turn?
    It doesn't matter though I'd usually say look right first cos that's where the immediate danger lies
    - On the test I was approaching a junction to turn left but there was a woman standing on the road talking to someone and I was unsure whether to wait for her or go around her. I went around her and got a mark for position turning left. So should I have waited for her to move off in her own time?
    Maybe you went around her too wide but I'd say your hesitation also resulted in you picking up one of those reaction to hazards marks. It's very difficult to give accurate advice without seeing the situation first hand.
    - I also have a problem with reaction to hazards (6 grade 2's over 2 tests). What are they and how should I react?
    A very grey area. Very difficult to answer definitively
    - When reversing around the corner sometimes I end up a couple of foot out where the road bends but end up tight back into the kerb again. Would this be a grade 2 or 3 or as long as I stay my side of the road does it matter?
    If it is only "a couple of foot" you should be ok. More could result in a Grade 2 fault. Turning excessively wide could see a Grade 3

Thank You!!

Hope that helps. Do you not have an instructor you can discuss your faults with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 luke.coleman51

Thanks. I will book the test again and go through it with my instructor. Regarding the woman on the road, she was stood at the junction, a foot off the footpath (where I should have stopped to turn left). I positioned myself where I would be if I was turning right and completed the left turn. I received a mark for road position turning left so I'm guessing I should have just stopped and waited for her to move off in her own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Thanks. I will book the test again and go through it with my instructor. Regarding the woman on the road, she was stood at the junction, a foot off the footpath (where I should have stopped to turn left). I positioned myself where I would be if I was turning right and completed the left turn. I received a mark for road position turning left so I'm guessing I should have just stopped and waited for her to move off in her own time.

Yes. As soon as a pedestrian puts their foot on the road they take possession of it and have right away. You should have stopped and let her cross without waving her across

2 faults there, Reaction to Hazards and Position turning left

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

One thing that I got grade 2s for in the reaction to hazards category was breaking if I saw the car in front of me breaking (e.g. If a car in front of me was turning left and was actually turned in by the time I would have caught up with it - if that makes sense). So I was breaking in reaction to a "problem" but the problem would have cleared in plenty of time and I wouldn't need to break. I'm not really explaining this very well :o

What I would say is get your driving instructor to go through your faults with you and if you feel they can't point your faults out, there's no harm in going to another instructor to see if they can tell you differently.

And most importantly - re apply as soon as possible and ring up for a cancellation. I failed my test twice before passing and it was actually a good thing, you really are a better driver for it.

Advertisement