Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killer Crows!

• 07-05-2012 2:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi,

2 pots out of the chimney stack. One in use. There is a hugh tree opposite me on someone elses property where dozens of crows nest. Big ugly birds who never stop cawing morning, noon and night. I was doing work on the chimney last year, which I still have not finished. Anyway, I didnt go up there for 2 or 3 weeks and when I did they attacked me. I looked in and there were eggs. I left the work and let them have the space to rear their young.
    In winter I went up and put a lead cap on the non-use pot. The lead was protruding out on 2 sides as I left a little opening for air.
    Recently I went up to finish the job I started last year, when again the crows attacked me. Now the pot is covered and they have no nest there so whats the reason? I need to finish this job but its too dangerous as they can take out your eye. I have to have someone on the ground watching and yelling at me from which direction they are coming from. I bring the hurley and try to get a hit, but its not easy when you have to watch your step too. Its like something out of a science fiction movie. As soon as I go up, their home tree dispaches a team of 4. 3 of these distract me while one attacks. They do one pass only, an while I am looking after them another team is dispached. Same manouver. Until I get off my roof. I got 1 hit only so far which frightened the **** out of both me and the bird. They have gotten a few hits, almost knocking me off the roof once. I hate them an would as soon shoot into that tree, but there are a few houses around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,627 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You wouldn't consider a video, so we can, you know, consider this problem :D

Sorry OP, no suggestions but it sounds fascinating. I know that is no help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hmmm...good idea an I have heard of it. In fact my father used to do this in the veg garden. But, I am on a busy road and am not sure I want to hang a dead crow on my chimney for all the world to see. The neighbours might not be too thrilled!
    Surely I have the right to shoot into that tree as I am only defending myself. Its either them or me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

If it's just up while you're capping the chimney no one will notice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You could contact a falconer for bird clearance. That's what they do at the Aviva stadium.
    You might be able to find a contact for your area here.
    http://www.irishfalconryforum.com/portal.php

It might be a bit safer than bashing away on a roof single handed, with a hurley.
    Not too sure about the legality of hanging animals' corpses any more either.
    As to discharging a firearm, close to a road and with other houses around - don't think you'd be too popular with the neighbours somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wear a motorbike helmet and a big padded jacket with the collar turned up and gloves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Now I'm really looking forward to the video.

Advertisement