Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Festival, 10k, etc.? Anyone do anything?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 2:59pm

This forum seems to be very quiet, even when there's a lot of activity in the town :(

Did anyone get up to anything for the Arts festival? Anyone run in or hang around the 10K run?

Personally, I ended up doing the 10k course (on a bike, mind you, as I was taking photos) but even that nearly killed me so hat's off to all of those who successfully managed to do the whole thing. Not an easy achievement.

I was down at Ship St. twice for that "Ship St. Revisited" thing, and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Didn't actually get to see the show or such, but just wandering around with everyone in their costumes and all the ye olde style activities looked really well.

As a photographer, i thought it was a fantastic opportunity. Something that really looked the part and wasn't something you'd come across every day.

I also seen some street theatre on West St. last night, which was fun, too.

Anyone get up to anything themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ship Street is a surreal place. Was training for the Liffey Descent last year and paddled from Navan to Ship Street a few times. First time there. Bit off topic.... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Sonic abyss in the barbican , Don letts in purple room .

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

my friends and parents went to see ship street and they all loved it

i ran the 10k and it was great, so well organised, such a great atmosphere in the town as well!

Rossin wrote: »
    my friends and parents went to see ship street and they all loved it

i ran the 10k and it was great, so well organised, such a great atmosphere in the town as well!

Yeah, everyone I know who seen anything about Ship Street thought it was excellent, too. As I say, great photo op;

CCC547E972A546EBB4FA4D70508FFDA6-0000333410-0002848241-00640L-67458FA878C34C718ECA89DD620D70F8.jpg

829AAD6DB23F4D0D8F7195A118C8A8B8-0000333410-0002845306-00640L-777BE4EE31234954B680DD3E41A6DB2F.jpg

Really happy with those two, in particular.

Would I be right in saying that last year, there was a day on the town with lots of random activities (Music in a truck trailer at St Peter's Church, bouncing castles on Narrow West Street, Skateboard/BMX antics on West Street, street entertainers, the usual market stalls outside Mahers/Boyd's, etc. all on at the same time) but they didn't do anything like that for this year? :confused:

Or did I just miss it?

The Boyne 10K does seem to attract a lot of people, which is a great thing. Creates a really good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

My husband and his nephew did the 10k and meself and sister in law and kids went into town to cheer them on. Great atmosphere, it was brilliant to have all that good positive energy in the town. Well done everyone! Seems to be getting bigger every year too.

We brought the kids into West st. on Saturday afternoon, there were jugglers and entertainers in front of St. Peters. Again, lovely atmosphere well done to the organisers cos families with kids are usually looking for somewhere a bit different (and free!) to bring the kids - weather helped too! Great to be able to sit on St. Peters steps with a cone. We didn't stay too long though 4 year olds these days are hard to please :rolleyes: :)

Sorry I missed that Ship Street theatre thing, photos look amazing. Maybe they'll do it next year again? I'll bet it was successful. (Fascinating street - there was an article on it in the Irish Indo at the weekend FYI)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Did the 10k with the Brother and the Brother-in-law. It was good! Great to see the level of support all along the route! Nice to see that the town can come together for some things! A drop of water would have been lovely though! :) Fair play to the girl in Dominic's Park who ran forward and gave me her bottle of lucozade sport! Very nice of her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    A drop of water would have been lovely though! :) Fair play to the girl in Dominic's Park who ran forward and gave me her bottle of lucozade sport! Very nice of her! :D

Yes... our two runners mentioned the same issue with lack of water along the way.

(sorry to focus on the one negative :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Anyone know anything about the music festival held in Bellurgan over the bank holiday w/e? Must have been one of the worst advertised ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the music festival held in Bellurgan over the bank holiday w/e? Must have been one of the worst advertised ever...

Vantastival..... it seemed to be advertised on national radio every 15 minutes for the last month or two!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

cargo wrote: »
    Vantastival..... it seemed to be advertised on national radio every 15 minutes for the last month or two!!!

Really? Ok i'm not one to have the radio on that often but i saw nothing in the loca/nationall press or even just poster advertising. The line up was decent by all accounts, an estimated 2000 were there. I'd have considered it myself but knew feck all about it. Am i living an a bubble lol. Would have been great for a bank holiday and no travelling or camping.

http://www.vantastival.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Really? Ok i'm not one to have the radio on that often but i saw nothing in the loca/nationall press or even just poster advertising. The line up was decent by all accounts, an estimated 2000 were there. I'd have considered it myself but knew feck all about it. Am i living an a bubble lol. Would have been great for a bank holiday and no travelling or camping.

http://www.vantastival.com/

Yeah dont think I saw it anywhere in print either but I listen to TodayFM a good bit and they were supporting it. It used to be further south in the County. Anagassan perhaps last year but moved to Belurgan Park for 2012.?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

It was advertised in the DI and i seen a few posters for it in Drogheda , tbh i think i was already well aware of it as a few friends where playing at it . Heard it was a good weekend .

Advertisement