Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much geography, so little time

• 07-05-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Basically I've spent the last hour analysing papers to see what is asked often. This is probably one of the few times I've ever used the papers properly and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether this should have me covered.

Physical
    -Rock cycle
    -Human interaction with the rock cycle*
    -Tectonic cycle
    -Results of tectonic cycle
    -Influence of a rock type
    -Influence of: Mass movement*
    Fluvial process*
    Coastal process*
    Glacial process*
    -Human interaction with surface processes*
    -Isostacy (haven't a clue what this is tbh)
    -A little something in the Burren
    -Rocks in Ireland*

Regional
    -Greater Dublin and West regions under the headings of: urban centre*
    landform in each*
    Primary, secondary, tertiary*
    -Can I just do one with regards to the Paris Basin and Mezzogiorno considering they are both in the EU?
    -India: culture*, primary, secondary, tertiary

Economic
    -Ireland + EU- cap and cfp*
    -MNC- apple inc.*
    -Justice issue- shell and the Corrib gas line in Mayo*
    -Something on colonisation (I think we did brazil)
    -Impact of fossil fuels
    -Sustainable development

Geoecology
    -Biome* 1. Characterists 2. Influence of climate 3. Human activities effect 4. Plants and animals adaptions

Do you reckon that's enough? Any feedback would be appreciated as I feel particularly lost with geog. :(

I'm marked the things I'm fairly sure will come up or at least I will be able to use in most qs of that section. But still not feeling particularly confident about this whole thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

Not to sure about a lot of it, but just a note if you intend to study only one eu region they may ask a question like compare 2 non irish regions in terms of primary/secondary/tertiary activities. They did it with Ireland before and I think they will throw a curve ball out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Reprazent wrote: »
    Not to sure about a lot of it, but just a note if you intend to study only one eu region they may ask a question like compare 2 non irish regions in terms of primary/secondary/tertiary activities. They did it with Ireland before and I think they will throw a curve ball out like that.

Oh I never thought about that. So much for having one less region to study. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

One thing for regional is that theyre likely to ask us to contrast Paris and Italy in some way this year so you really cant cut corners anymore :(

I imagine the following would cover you:

Physical - rock cycle interaction; interaction with coastal processes (or whichever you've studied, we did rivers and dams but coastal is by far the easiest!); formation of sedimentary rocks (its due up but i'd study them all just in case, and this is where the burren is handy :)); the formation of one landform (but make sure to learn a meander because they might ask to find it on an OS Map. you might find a beach but you might not).
    Isostasy is a really handy question but I dont think it comes up an awful lot. Plate tectonics is definitely important too I think.

Regional:
    Ireland/west; primary/secondary/tertiary; contrast secondary sectors; growth of an urban area (i.e. dublin)
    Europe: italy/paris all sectors; contrast primary/secondary (they could ask tertiary but its less likely imo); growth of paris is unlikely to come up.
    SW USA/India: culture; primary/secondary/tertiary; growth of an urban area (VERY likely to come up). i think thats everything for that.

Economic:
    CAP / CFP
    Justice - I'm not sure thats right what you have there, we did that q last week and its all about Trade and Tied Aid injustices. Want me to send you it? :) Has it ever been asked though?
    MNC we did was Dell, and you should just know why it locates where it does and its functions maybe
    Colonialism and globalisation is always reappearing
    Conflict from exploitation of resouces (we did corrib gas and fish farming)
    impacts of climate change - acid rain/global warming
    sustainable development
    the economic and environmental impacts of using renewable energies (in 2010 non-renewable came up so this might be up this year. or maybe it was the other way around but yeah :pac:)

PictureFrame posted 5 Geoecology essays that have always guaranteed at least 2/3 choice since 06 but I cant remember it :o

Long post heh, hope it helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Basically I've spent the last hour analysing papers to see what is asked often. This is probably one of the few times I've ever used the papers properly and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether this should have me covered.

Physical
    -Rock cycle
    -Tectonic cycle
    Fluvial process*
    Coastal process*
    Glacial process*
    -Rocks in Ireland*

Regional
    landform in each*
    -Can I just do one with regards to the Paris Basin and Mezzogiorno considering they are both in the EU?

Economic
    -MNC- apple inc.*
    -Impact of fossil fuels
    -Sustainable development

Geoecology
    -Biome* 1. Characterists 2. Influence of climate 3. Human activities effect 4. Plants and animals adaptions

Do you reckon that's enough? Any feedback would be appreciated as I feel particularly lost with geog. :(

I'm marked the things I'm fairly sure will come up or at least I will be able to use in most qs of that section. But still not feeling particularly confident about this whole thing.

The Biome Q. is likely to be a curve ball this year and only 1 q out of the 3. do you know enough about soils to answer a question on it?

Would also recommend you learn the development of Paris and an Indian city,development of all 3 rock types and karst features(so a lot about the Burren)

Also know about OS maps, why towns form in certain places and the jargon of aerial photos.

Hope this helped:)

Thanks guys. :) I feel like I'm drowning I'm geography but at least the B3 I'm aiming for seems a little more achievable.

Yeah Patchy I just realised that I got conflict of interest and justice mixed up in my post. :L conflict has come up a bit, I'd love yoder it this year. I don't have anything on justice but I think I'll just wing it, by the looks of things I have a fair bit of studying to do.

Thanks again everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Would anyone have any sample answers for the Growth of an Urban areas (Dublin & India) question, I can't find any in my book, or my revision book and my teacher is absolutely useless. We're only starting Human Geog now... Freaking out a little bit. :/

Would anyone have any sample answers for the Growth of an Urban areas (Dublin & India) question, I can't find any in my book, or my revision book and my teacher is absolutely useless. We're only starting Human Geog now... Freaking out a little bit. :/

I just finished tidying up my notes and have sample answers of both here. Give me ten minutes and I'll have them typed up for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I just finished tidying up my notes and have sample answers of both here. Give me ten minutes and I'll have them typed up for you. :)

You're amazing! Thanks so much! :)

I sent them via PM but I might as well put them up here in case anyone needs them. :)

Dublin

In this answer I will discuss the development of Dublin city. Dublin city has developed from a small Viking settlement in the 9th century. The Vikings established Dublin as a small trading town. In the 13th century the Normans took over Dublin and built Dublin castle, which later became the British administrative centre. Dublin continued to develop as an important trading centre.

Dublin city experienced rapid development since the 1950s. The availability of employment resulted in huge levels of rural to urban migration. The development of railway resulted in the spread of Dublin into suburban areas. Dublin continued to attract industry and consequently population continued to rise in the 1970s.

In an attempt to control urban sprawl, new towns were developed on the outskirts of the city. These towns included Blanchardstown and Tallaght. These new towns accommodated the overspill of population from Dublin city; however, Dublin continued to grow into the 21st century and these towns were engulfed by the sprawling city.

Multi-national companies were attracted to Dublin. As a result of the good transport infrastructure, these companies located on the edge of the city. This further encouraged the growth of Dublin city. Dublin’s boundaries now extend as far as Meath and Kildare. Many problems are associated with the rapid growth of Dublin city. The increase in commuters has put pressure on transport infrastructure in the city with peak travel times increasing. Planners have attempted to tackle these problems through upgrading the M50 Motorway to six lanes, the extension of Dart services, designated bus corridors and the Port tunnel.

Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo is the largest urban agglomeration in Brazil. It is the largest industrial area in South America. Until the 1880s the area was a minor commercial centre. When Rio had a population of 500,000 in 1890, Sao Paulo only had a population of 65,000. It was coffee that brought an increase in the population. The plantations that were developed attracted people from the hinterland and other cities. The area was transformed by this frontier into a vibrant economic region. By the early 1990s the city had grown to 240,000 due to the massive influx of people, particularly from Europe. By 1950 it had become a major manufacturing area in Brazil. Today, Sao Paulo metropolitan area accounts for half of Brazil’s total industrial output.

The city faces many environmental and ecological problems associated with rapid industrialisation and population growth. More than 50% of the population lives in substandard housing and many residents do not have access to clean water or sanitation services. Air, noise and visual pollution are a major problem. Crime rates are high, congestion with traffic and overcrowding are evident. Despite rapid industrial growth the economy has not been able to absorb the labour force and as a result, unemployment and underemployment remain a consistent problem.

The Brazilian economy during the 1990s linked with devaluation of the real in 1998 further weakened the economy. The situation of Sao Paulo is not unique. Most cities of the world have experienced dramatic growth since the 1950s as world populations have rocketed. Sao Paulo is a very good example of this type of growth. Today, there are 400 cities with populations of over 1 million people; Sao Paulo has approximately 17 million. Managing the change that has occurred and will continue to occur well into the 21st century is a major challenge for the planners in all Brazilian cities, particularly Sao Paulo. The success and failure of such planning will demand accurate demographic statistics.

Calcutta

The subcontinental region I have studied is in Southern Asia. It stretches from Pakistan to the west and from Bangladesh to the east. Like other regions it is defined by its unique characteristics that set it apart from surrounding areas. For the purpose of this study I wish to focus on the urban area of Calcutta.

Calcutta, in the eastern part of the region, lies at 22N. It is the capital of the state of West Bengal and is the main city of eastern India. It is the third largest city in India and the 8th largest metropolitan area in the world.

What has led to its growth? By the end of the nineteenth century it had grown into the most important colonial trading post and the 2nd biggest city of the British empire. The city spread out to the north of the Hoogley river. This development was, partly, due to its coastal location which facilitated the trading of raw materials back to the colonising country, Britain. Then, immediately after interdependence in 1947, it experience a decline and stagnation.

But this decline was not to last for long. In 1991 the city had a population of 11 million. By 2001, it had a population of 14 million. Today the population is estimated to have reached 16 million. The city itself is surrounded by a vast hinterland with over 300 million people.

Its current growth and development is die to a number of factors: India's natural population increase, its current trend of rural to urban migration, agreed policies on liberalisation and globalisation and the growth of the manufacturing industry in the region.

The city has now spread further south along both banks of the river Hoogley. Greater investment in transport, eg improved road links to other major cities like Mumbai, has attracted manufacturing industries to the are. People follow jobs. The Green Revolution, that saw the amalgamation of farms into bigger units, meant that many people abandoned the land and moved to urban areas like Calcutta. This growth is evidenced by the growth of bustees, shantee towns. These unplanned areas of housing are characterised by overcrowding and lack of services.

In summary, Calcutta is representative of other urban areas withing this subcontinental region. Improvements in educations, lower costs and an increasing consumer market will ensure that its growth and development will continue for some time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Physical
    -Rock cycle
    -Tectonic cycle
    Fluvial process*
    Coastal process*
    Glacial process*
    -Rocks in Ireland*

Regional
    landform in each*

Economic
    -MNC- apple inc.*
    -Impact of fossil fuels
    -Sustainable development

Geoecology

I'm just going to do whatever comes up in each section often.

For regional I'm only doing:
    Teritary and Urban Region Growth in Dublin. Ignoring the GDA.
    Primary/Secondary/Teritary and Urban Growth in Mezzogiorno/Paris/SW USA. Implications of EU Expansion
    Culture in SW USA.

That's 13 essays I think? It'll do. I haven't the time to learn anymore! Hoping for an A2 myself. Got a B1 in the Mock so hoping to push it up a grade.

• Advertisement

I'm just going to do whatever comes up in each section often.

For regional I'm only doing:
    Teritary and Urban Region Growth in Dublin. Ignoring the GDA.
    Primary/Secondary/Teritary and Urban Growth in Mezzogiorno/Paris/SW USA. Implications of EU Expansion
    Culture in SW USA.

That's 13 essays I think? It'll do. I haven't the time to learn anymore! Hoping for an A2 myself. Got a B1 in the Mock so hoping to push it up a grade.

In all fairness 13 essays is loads, especially if you got a B1 in the mocks. I'm mostly focusing on the region and geoecology essays, and just looking over the others briefly so my head doesn't explode with geography. :o

Advertisement