Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Week 3 Results

Options
  • 07-05-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Green Bay Packers 62-6 Minnesota Vikings

After the horror showing in week 2 for Bradford, things clicked this week for the Green Bay offense :)

Stats:
    Sam Bradford: 22/28 346 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs
    Ray Rice: 12 attempts 108 yards 2 TDs
    Braylon Edwards: 7 receptions 152 yards 2 TDs
    Reggie Wayne: 8 receptions 125 yards 1 TD

Green Bay's Defense was dominant once again, forcing 3 fumbles and an interception. The D has scored 3 TDs in the last 2 games and Kyle Williams has shored up the interior of my D Line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Perfect game for my new team to try and gel a little bit in the windy coliseum.

Quarter 1:
    Raiders go 3 and out, Panthers take it down the field for a long field goal. 3-0 to them. Reggie Bush fumbles the kickoff and Big Ben throws it in. 10-0 to them. At this point I'm pretty annoyed with my team. Bush goes out and redeems himself by returning the kickoff to within their 20 and eventually Matt Hill connects with Greg Olsen for a score.

Quarter 2:
    On the next drive Big Ben throws a pick to rookie sensation Jean Jones, and with a short TD pass to Jordan Cameron the Raiders take a 4 point lead. The Panthers work it down the field well but stall and settle for a field goal. 14-13 to the Raiders. With 3 minutes left in the half, the Raiders work it down the field for a 20 yard Greg Olsen TD pass with 42 seconds left. The Panthers try to pass and Big Ben is put on his ass. They call a timeout meaning if they don't get a first down I can get the ball back. That happens, Hill connects with Olsen and from 31 yards out the Raiders barely get it snapped but when we do Johnny Knox makes a great play to keep his feet in bounds at the back of the endzone. 28-13 to the Raiders.

Quarter 3:
    The Panthers make a big drive, get to my 27 and Big Ben gets sacked. 3 times in a row. The only score of the quarter is a DeAngelo Bell TD run.

Quarter 4:
    A lot of this quarter is played inside the Raiders redzone. The Panthers go 4 and out but the Raiders start taking the piss and throw an interception and eventually they score to make it 35-19 to the Raiders. Trying to run up the score, the Raiders drive it to the Panthers 4 but get no further. As the game is about to end, Albert Haynesworth sacks Big Ben for a safety.

Stats:
    Matt Hill: 108.5 rating, 20 completions off 32 attempts for 313 yards, 4 TDs and 2 interceptions.
    DeAngelo Bell: 8 carries for 61 yards and a TD
    Greg Olsen: 8 catches for 139 yards and 2 TDs
    Johnny Knox: 5 catches for 109 yards and a score.
    Santez Beasley: 3 catches for 61 yards
    Jordan Cameron: 3 catches for 5 yards and a score

Good defensive performances:
    Pat Angerer, 4 sacks and 13 tackles
    Da'Quan Bowers, 3 sacks and 7 tackles
    Montra Haynes, 1 sack which forced a fumble
    Will Witherspoon and Lawrence Timmons got a sack each
    Jean Jones got an interception
    Albert Haynesworth had a sack for a safety.

They had me worried for a minute, but it was plain sailing after that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Texans take a trip to the only other human team now in the AFC South- the 2-0 Titans.

Titans win the toss but get distracted by a message from the Texans. and end up receiving!
    MJD on the first play gets hammered and fumbles! Texans return it for a TD AJ Hawk takes the credit

7-0 Texans

Titans have a quick 3 and out and punt it away.

However the Texans dont get all the luck and throw a pick 6 to Newman.

7-7

Titans D is tough and forces a 3 and out

Schaub however decided he wants to give the Texans the ball back and lofts up a pass for an easy pick.

The Texans move the ball well but at a cost, Steve Smith is out for the game (and possibly longer)

Titans make a goal line stand and force a FG

10-7 Texans

MJD fumbles again but the Titans recover
    Titans then move it well to the redzone but Scahub gets sacked on a play action and Titans get a FG.

10-10 with 3:34 in the half.

Titans D again is impressive and forces a 3 and out. But the Texans D not to be out done also forces a punt with under 2 mins left.

Texans complete some great passes into the redzone but they miss a pass on 3rd and 1 and kick a FG

13-10 Texans with 35 seconds left

Titans move up the field in a couple of plats and kick a FG

13-13 at the half Texans to receive

The second half doesnt start well for the Texans, they throw a pick to Andre Goodman and he returns it for 6

13-20 Titans.. However it doesnt last long!
    Texans return the KO 103 yards!

20-20
    Titans on 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line.. decide to go for it and the FB dives over

20-27 just at the end of the 3rd

Titans D forces another 3 and out

Titans cant do much and have to punt it away.

The Texans do excellently and hit Smith for a 91 yard TD 5 mins left.

27-27

Titans move it well and then hit MJD over the middle for a 51 yard TD

23-34 just over 2 and a half in the game

Texans move it well and get into the redzone and then power it over for a TD.

34-34 with 47 seconds left.

Titans cant do anything and we're into OT.
    Texans win the toss and will receive

Texans gouge the Titans with a Peterson run and then a big throw.

However a run play results in a fumble which McBath recovers
    Titans get stopped on 3rd and 7 and go for it on 4th.. they dont get it
    Texans get it into FG and range and kick the winner.

37-34 Texans

Some Stats

Titans with 356 yards on offense and 174 rushing
    Texans with 398 yards on offense and 95 rushing

3rd down efficiency was poor for both teams 22% vs 25%

Orton had a QB rating of 74 with 16 from 29, 303 yards 1 TD and 2 int
    Scahub had a rating of 82 with 10 from 19, 188 yards, 1 TD and 1 int

MJD didnt have a great game despite 171 yards (from 33 carries) he fumbled twice (one returned for a TD).
    Peterson had 80 yards from 17 carries and 1 TD

Smith leads the receiving corps with 136 yards from 5 catches and 1 TD
    MJD close behind with 116 yards from 5 catches and 1 TD
    Rice also breaking the 100 yard mark.

It was all Titans on the ints! Goodman and Newman and former Titans FS Abram Elam all get one a piece

Excellent game Pudsy, full of attack from both sides (and errors!) but vry enjoyable.
    Cant argue with the result it could have gone either way all game but with hindsight i should have punted it away after your fumble rather than going for it on 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Texans take a trip to the only other human team now in the AFC South- the 2-0 Titans.

Titans win the toss but get distracted by a message from the Texans. and end up receiving!
    MJD on the first play gets hammered and fumbles! Texans return it for a TD AJ Hawk takes the credit

7-0 Texans

Titans have a quick 3 and out and punt it away.

However the Texans dont get all the luck and throw a pick 6 to Newman.

7-7

Titans D is tough and forces a 3 and out

Schaub however decided he wants to give the Texans the ball back and lofts up a pass for an easy pick.

The Texans move the ball well but at a cost, Steve Smith is out for the game (and possibly longer)

Titans make a goal line stand and force a FG

10-7 Texans

MJD fumbles again but the Titans recover
    Titans then move it well to the redzone but Scahub gets sacked on a play action and Titans get a FG.

10-10 with 3:34 in the half.

Titans D again is impressive and forces a 3 and out. But the Texans D not to be out done also forces a punt with under 2 mins left.

Texans complete some great passes into the redzone but they miss a pass on 3rd and 1 and kick a FG

13-10 Texans with 35 seconds left

Titans move up the field in a couple of plats and kick a FG

13-13 at the half Texans to receive

The second half doesnt start well for the Texans, they throw a pick to Andre Goodman and he returns it for 6

13-20 Titans.. However it doesnt last long!
    Texans return the KO 103 yards!

20-20
    Titans on 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line.. decide to go for it and the FB dives over

20-27 just at the end of the 3rd

Titans D forces another 3 and out

Titans cant do much and have to punt it away.

The Texans do excellently and hit Smith for a 91 yard TD 5 mins left.

27-27

Titans move it well and then hit MJD over the middle for a 51 yard TD

23-34 just over 2 and a half in the game

Texans move it well and get into the redzone and then power it over for a TD.

34-34 with 47 seconds left.

Titans cant do anything and we're into OT.
    Texans win the toss and will receive

Texans gouge the Titans with a Peterson run and then a big throw.

However a run play results in a fumble which McBath recovers
    Titans get stopped on 3rd and 7 and go for it on 4th.. they dont get it
    Texans get it into FG and range and kick the winner.

37-34 Texans

Some Stats

Titans with 356 yards on offense and 174 rushing
    Texans with 398 yards on offense and 95 rushing

3rd down efficiency was poor for both teams 22% vs 25%

Orton had a QB rating of 74 with 16 from 29, 303 yards 1 TD and 2 int
    Scahub had a rating of 82 with 10 from 19, 188 yards, 1 TD and 1 int

MJD didnt have a great game despite 171 yards (from 33 carries) he fumbled twice (one returned for a TD).
    Peterson had 80 yards from 17 carries and 1 TD

Smith leads the receiving corps with 136 yards from 5 catches and 1 TD
    MJD close behind with 116 yards from 5 catches and 1 TD
    Rice also breaking the 100 yard mark.

It was all Titans on the ints! Goodman and Newman and former Titans FS Abram Elam all get one a piece

Excellent game Pudsy, full of attack from both sides (and errors!) but vry enjoyable.
    Cant argue with the result it could have gone either way all game but with hindsight i should have punted it away after your fumble rather than going for it on 4th.

For a man not on the pitch, that was one hell of a score :pac: Cheers for the write up! That was the most enjoyable game of madden i have ever had, excitement at every turn. Each mistake we made seemed to be cancelled out by the other team, lot of fumbles and picks. And lots of ridiculous holding calls! Ballsy decision at the end by the way, I would have punted that a long way away!

Oh and Steve Smith is fine ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    For a man not on the pitch, that was one hell of a score :pac: Cheers for the write up! That was the most enjoyable game of madden i have ever had, excitement at every turn. Each mistake we made seemed to be cancelled out by the other team, lot of fumbles and picks. And lots of ridiculous holding calls! Ballsy decision at the end by the way, I would have punted that a long way away!

Oh and Steve Smith is fine ;)

I lost count of the players i injured! just had a quick scan through the injury report and your MLB it out for 7 weeks (not sure if that was me or not!).

Yeah i was debating what to do and then i thought if i made it it would surely be my game only as i pressed the play button did i realise how close we were to FG range.. but there's still the return leg :pac:

Puts us both on 2-1 now so should be interesting times for the AFC South!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I lost count of the players i injured! just had a quick scan through the injury report and your MLB it out for 7 weeks (not sure if that was me or not!).

Yeah i was debating what to do and then i thought if i made it it would surely be my game only as i pressed the play button did i realise how close we were to FG range.. but there's still the return leg :pac:

Puts us both on 2-1 now so should be interesting times for the AFC South!

Both Smith and Jackson were injured but returned. Afaik it me RE who is out for 7 weeks. Interesting indeed! With our tough schedule, wildcards spots might be hard to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Chargers beat the Falcons 37-24. At the start of the game several 3 and outs mean the Falcons go down by 24 points (I think?) but they pulled it back to within 6 points with the score at 30-24 Chargers. However another touchdown seals it for the Chargers with the final score at 37-24.

For the Chargers, MVP was Blount with 136 yds rushing and 2 TD's. However, Harper is fast becoming a playmaker on defense with 2 INTs, 1 FF and 17 tackles already this season. For the Falcons, Eric Decker had a great game with over 150 yds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit of an epic here and one that could prove crucial come the end of the seasonn.

Q1:

Cardinals win the toss and elect to kick. The 49ers manage nothing more than a 3 and out followed by a punt.

The cardinals move the ball well but need to settle for a FG try which gould converts. From then defences are on top and there are no more scores in the quarter. Cardinals 3-0.

Q2:

Carrying on from the first quarter both defences playing suffocating football until all hell breaks loose before half time.

1.17 to go to HT and D'Angelo williams breaks off an 82 yard run. 10-0. A solid lead coming up to HT in a low scoring game.

Cardinals kick off to Devin Hester who breaks a tackle and takes it to the house to keep the niners in touch. HT: 10-7.

Q3:

The 49ers kick off and on the first play Williams breaks off another huge run (80 yards) for another TD. 17-7.

The 49ers get nothing going on offense and when the cardinals get it back they embark on a great drive, that eats up the entire 3rd quarter.

17-7.

Q4:

The afore mentioned drive ends with a 27yd TD pass to Gettis. 24-7. 7.55 to go.

It's all hands on deck for the 49ers as they move up field on a 94 yard drive, before Britt catches a 4 yard pass from cassell to keep the game alive. 24-14. 4;18 remaining.

The cardinals get the ball back and attempt to run some clock. On 2nd Down they take a shot downfield but in a bizarre twist the receiver catches then fumbles the ball in a hugely controversial call. The cardinals challenge but the ruling is upheld.

The 49ers drive up the field but time is running out. Cassell hits graham for a 19 yard TD with 1 min left and 2 timeouts remaining. 49ers try an onside kick but fail to recover.

The cardinals play it safe and kneel it out but with the 49ers timeouts it means they need to punt with 0:15 remaining.

The 49ers take a few shots down field but can't get the score they need.

Final 24-21.

Key stats;

Arizona:

Ryan 6/11 114 yards 1 TD.
    Williams 19 atts, 249 yards 2 TD's.

SF:

Cassell 17/29 203 yards 2 TD's
    Charles 11 atts, 21 yards.

49ers experimenting with a passing game continues. Run D, not a sbad as stats suggest as 3 of those runs accounnted for huge chunk of that yardage.

Bye week next up for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Horrible horrible fumble by Gettis. One of those moments when you're celebrating then something awful happens and suddenly become angry!

Don't know what happened to my special teams, Hester destroyed them.
    You ran too much to the outside with Charles, i just contained him.
    I have Charles in another franchise and running up the middle with his speed and elusiveness he can break a tackle or two.

You really played well to get yourself back into it. I seriously don't know how i didnt get an INT, there was 2 occasions where last season they were definite turnovers, this season my defensive backs seem to be sponsored by Kerrygold!

Anyways good game and good luck for the rest of the season, see you in Arizona soon!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think I just didn't run the ball enough. But happy with the passing game. Partially due to the amount of time I spent chasing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

Seahawks 21 - Saints 7

Ugly game for the Saints; threw 5 picks. Could have been very different game without that.

Seahawks threw 2 TD for Mariani & 1 rushing TD for Hillis (who seemed to spend a lot of the game going backwards!)

Saints score came at end of 4th quarter with 11 yard pass to Winslow.

Gives Seahawks first win of season... hopefully they can keep playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Atrocious conditions in the New Meadowlands, strong winds and pouring rain

It played havoc with my passing game, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

Ravens opened with two good drives, got a FG but threw a redzone pick six so the Giants took the lead and that's how it stayed

Giants love to mix up their offense
    It's quite conservative I suppose, runs up the middle, runs outside, short passes outside and shorts passes up the middle to the TE Mercedes Lewis
    But it's so varied it keeps any defence guessing and so the Giants have two wins in a row now, they won last week against the mighty rushing attack in Detroit

Ravens got a rushing TD in the fourth quarter and followed it up with a pick six, game on

But the Giants pushed on their superiority and with two Billy Cundiff FG's the Giants win

It was not a day for kickers so credit due on the pressure kicks

Ravens made some good use of Jake Lockers athleticism, he dodged a few tackles and made some good runs up outside but the Ravens long bomb offense just did not work here
    Twice long passes to Eddie Royal just got slowed down and went short in this 17mph wind

Giants have a very impressive HB corp, speedy rookie Lamothe, powerful HB Meadenhall who clobbered my SS Eric Berry a few times and the ever reliable LT
    Very impressive

Lamothe was knocked out of the game twice and LT knocked out once
    See sig - we take pride in crushing HB's in Baltimore :cool:
    But it wasn't enough Lamothe coming back from a dislocated thumb and muscle cramps to finish the game, now that's rookie toughness

Nice talking to ya
    Great to play some new teams
    No offence but I'm sick of playing the boyos in the AFC South, sorry lads :pac:

It's alright mike, we're sick of beating ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Rumours of bounties in the Bengals locker room abounded in the pre-match buildup, after the Broncos had injured two Bengals starters in the corresponding game last season. The Bengals head coach was quiet on the matter, failing to comment as several players went off during the game injured including the mighty Megatron.

Broncos win the toss, elect to receive. First drive keeps the defense guessing on every play. Those 2 and 3 TE sets are great passing opportunities for the Broncos when most would expect a run. When you expect a pass, Shady McCoy takes one up the middle. Tough to handle, as McCoy finally scores on a 38yd run through the middle. 7-0 DEN

Bengals feel they need to score before the Denver offense runs away with this game. 5 minutes later after mixing short passes and runs with Cam Newton looking good for once, the big FB Vickers powers in from 3yds to level it up. 7-7

A big sack on second down on the end of the Broncos next drive, Jones is intercepted by Chad Greenway. Bengals drive up the field for a bit before being stopped at 4th&Inches. Too early to risk it and they punt away. But then, disaster strikes.... Broncos punt returner catches the ball at the sideline and cuts infield only to be milled by the Bengals gunner, fumble!
    Bengals take over with excellent field position and eventually score when Michael Turner beasts in from 13yds. 14-7 CIN

Broncos left with 2:03 on clock as they receive kick, try to pass out of their own red zone and take a big sack. Chandler Jones then forces the issue and is intercepted. A couple of plays later Lascelle Saunders sweeps in on an 8yd run. 21-7 CIN

Second half kicks off, Bengals receive and drive all the way to the 3yd line, fail to convert and settle for a FG to put three scores in it. 24-7

All gets a bit hectic now in the 4th Quarter, lots of hurry up from the Broncos eventually resulting in a TD pass to TE Moeaki. 24-14 CIN
    Bengals run, run and very occasionally pass to wind down the clock as conservative play-calling kicks in. Another interception thrown by Jones. Bengals run, punt.
    Game ends as Jones throws a final interception in his own territory and Bengals kneel it out to seal the victory.

FINAL SCORE: Cincinnati Bengals 24-14 Denver Broncos

NOTES:
    A few injuries during the game, but none seem to carry over to next week. Loss of Megatron hurt in the 4th Quarter comeback attempt.
    Cam Newton goes through a game with throwing a INT, much success! Finishes 13/20, 155yds, 0 TD/0 INT
    Antonio Gates makes a good first impression, finishing with 5 catches for 52yds.

Feel like I dodged a bullet in that game, got lucky with some of the turnovers which forced the game and even more turnovers then.
    Good chatting to you Dave, best of luck with the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cowboys 21-24 Eagles

Cracker of a game, with the Eagles winning through a field goal as time expired.

Can't post a detailed report as I'm away from the Xbox now, but 2 interceptions really cost me here.

Frustrated as the first one was due to lag, I pressed A to snap the ball and nothing happened so pressed it again and the ball was snapped and threw about 1 inch away from the line where the Eagles intercepted. That ended up with the Eagles scoring a TD. Second one was when the score was 21-21 with 2 minutes left in the 4th. I was driving down field nicely hitting Ocho 4 times to get over the halfway line. I should have ran the ball from there and had a stab at a long FG but I tried the same play again and the Eagles FS stepped across to intercept. That eventually ended with the Eagles kicking a short FG to win the game.

This new way of playing seems to work great for me 90% of the time, but stupid mistakes always cost me. Twice in a row now I've been in a game for long stages but do something stupid to blow it :mad:

Eagles offense was very good and caused me lots of problems. Think they only made 1 mistake really which was a fumble in the red zone returned for a TD by Ngata (was like slow motion watching him run down field :pac:).

Biggest moment of the game was probably a 4th and long for the Eagles which they needed to level the game (it was 21-14 to the Cowboys at the time) with a couple of miniutes left. McCoy hit Miller in the air and he came down just short of a TD which was carried over on the next play.

Good game Empacher well done, looking forward to the return game in a few weeks and once again a close game no doubt.

Advertisement