Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Squad Lists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ireland Squad:

Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, David Forde

Defenders: John O'Shea, Stephen Kelly, Stephen Ward, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Darren O'Dea, Kevin Foley

Midfielders: Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Darron Gibson, Damien Duff, Aiden McGeady, Stephen Hunt, James McClean

Forwards: Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Simon Cox, Jon Walters

Stand-by: Darren Randolph, Paul McShane, Paul Green, Seamus Coleman, Andy Keogh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Germany Provisional Squad:

Goalkeeper:

Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Tim Wiese, Ron-Robert Zieler

Defense:

Holger Badstuber, Jerome Boateng, Benedikt Höwedes, Mats Hummels, Philipp Lahm, Per Mertesacker, Marcel Schmelzer

Midfield:

Lars Bender, Sven Bender, Julian Draxler, Mario Götze, Ilkay Gündogan, Sami Khedira, Toni Kroos, Thomas Müller, Mesut Özil, Lukas Podolski, Marco Reus, Andre Schürrle, Bastian Schweinsteiger

Striker:

Cacau, Mario Gomez, Miroslav Klose

Dutch Provisional Squad:

GK: Maarten Stekelenburg, Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Erwin Mulder, Jasper Cillissen

DEF: Vurnon Anita, Khalid Boulahrouz, Wilfred Bouma, Urby Emanuelson, John Heitinga, Hedwiges Maduro, Joris Mathijsen, Alexander Büttner, Nick Viergever, Ron Vlaar, Stefan de Vrij, Gregory van der Wiel, Jetro Willems

MID: Ibrahim Afellay, Mark van Bommel, Nigel de Jong, Adam Maher, Stijn Schaars, Wesley Sneijder, Kevin Strootman, Rafael van der Vaart , Georginio Wijnaldum

FORWARD: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Ola John, Luuk de Jong, Siem de Jong, Dirk Kuyt, Jeremain Lens, Luciano Narsingh, Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kitakyushu wrote: »

Well done for making this thread redundant. Ban him!!! :D

• Advertisement

Provisional Poland squad:

Goalkeepers: Łukasz Fabiański, Wojciech Szczęsny, Przemysław Tytoń

Defenders: Sebastian Boenisch, Kamil Glik, Tomasz Jodłowiec, Marcin Kamiński, Damien Perquis, Łukasz Piszczek, Marcin Wasilewski, Jakub Wawrzyniak, Grzegorz Wojtkowiak

Midfielders: Jakub Błaszczykowski, Dariusz Dudka, Kamil Grosick, Adam Matuszczyk, Adrian Mierzejewski, Rafal Murawski, Eugen Polanski, Ludovic Obraniak, Maciej Rybus, Rafał Wolski

Forwards: Paweł Brożek, Michał Kucharczyk, Robert Lewandowski , Artur Sobiech

The following reserves were also named and could still be included in the final 23-man squad: Grzegorz Sandomierski (Jagiellonia Białystok); Arkadiusz Głowacki (Trabzonspor AŞ), Marcin Komorowski (FC Terek Grozny); Ariel Borysiuk (1. FC Kaiserslautern); Ireneusz Jeleń (LOSC Lille Métropole), Arkadiusz Piech (Ruch Chorzów), Michał Żyro (Legia Warszawa).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

German squad looks good. Really fancy them to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pointless stat of the day - We are the only announced team that does not have a player born in the 1990s.

OptaOat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Germany have a brilliant looking squad be very tough to pick a starting 11 especially from midfield up.

Looking at that Dutch squad brilliant squad but from midfield up. Have poor options defensively imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I shall most definately be putting a few bob on z Germans to win :)

• Advertisement

I shall most definately be putting a few bob on z Germans to win :)

The only thing that's stopping them is injuries imo. Saying that could 3 very tough group games have a negative effect? Similar to Netherlands 2008?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

To me the most fascinating thing about the German Squad are their Ages, especially in midfield. The Core of their team probably has still 2 WC and 2 more EC left.

Tor
    Manuel Neuer 26
    Tim Wiese 31
    Ron-Robert Zieler 23
    Marc-André ter Stegen 20

Abwehr
    Philipp Lahm 28
    Holger Badstuber 23
    Jérôme Boateng 23
    Benedikt Höwedes 24
    Mats Hummels 23
    Per Mertesacker 28
    Marcel Schmelzer 24

Mittelfeld
    Sami Khedira 25
    Toni Kroos 22
    Bastian Schweinsteiger 27
    Mario Götze 19
    Mesut Özil 23
    Thomas Müller 22
    Lukas Podolski 26
    Andre Schürrle 21
    Sven Bender 23
    Lars Bender 23
    Ilkay Gündogan 21
    Marco Reus 22
    Julian Draxler 18

Sturm
    Mario Gomez 26
    Miroslav Klose 33
    Cacau 31

Erik Pieters will be a big loss for the Dutch. I don't even know who'll start in place of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SantryRed wrote: »
    German squad looks good. Really fancy them to win it.

Looks a little light up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Why no Coleman? Thought he could do a job for us?

Turtyturd wrote: »

4-2-3-1. They'll be fine.

Podolski, Muller, Schurlle from the midfielders are perfectly capable of playing up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

id be happy being thin up front if mario gomez was present...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    4-2-3-1. They'll be fine.

I have no doubt about that, I intend on sticking some money on them, just strange to see only 3 forwards in the squad.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The only thing that's stopping them is injuries imo. Saying that could 3 very tough group games have a negative effect? Similar to Netherlands 2008?

Yeah, russia was a big surprise there in 08 just looking over then and now and they're tough groups but that could be said for all groups except group D imo.

Just relised how bigger the crowd capacities are this time round compared to 08, most stadiums where around the 30k mark.

Ill stick with germany to win but with the beauty of tournaments anything could happen, really looking forward!

When is englands squad announced? Should be interesting.

• Advertisement

DubDani wrote: »
    To me the most fascinating thing about the German Squad are their Ages, especially in midfield. The Core of their team probably has still 2 WC and 2 more EC left.

Agreed. Since 2004 they seem to have really reorganised themselves and put their trust in youth with good results.

Even 'old men' like Lahm, Podolski, Mertesacker and Schweinsteiger have all been playing for the national team since 2004 when they were all teenagers.

Reminds me a bit of McCarthys early days with Ireland. He pretty quickly got rid of the old guard who had done so well under Charlton and took a chance on many very young inexperienced players with the view that they would gel into a long lasting successful side.

I have no doubt about that, I intend on sticking some money on them, just strange to see only 3 forwards in the squad.

Hopefully they win. If they win in 2012 and 2014 I think I will be buying a jet ski with my winnings :D.

Yeah, russia was a big surprise there in 08 just looking over then and now and they're tough groups but that could be said for all groups except group D imo.

Just relised how bigger the crowd capacities are this time round compared to 08, most stadiums where around the 30k mark.

Ill stick with germany to win but with the beauty of tournaments anything could happen, really looking forward!

When is englands squad announced? Should be interesting.

Next Monday that will be the most interesting one imo. WHo'll be captain is another question? Can Carroll make it or Lampard? Lots of huge decisions. Looking forward to Spain and France announcing too

Don't really need more than 3 out and out forwards in a 4-2-3-1 squad. Any more is a waste of space really.

I see Germany have a set of twins. Sweden will too. I wonder will any other squads?

Is Marcus actually in the Swedish setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I see Germany have a set of twins. Sweden will too. I wonder will any other squads?

I don't think they are related.

Kirby wrote: »
    I don't think they are related.

Sven & Lars are twins. I don't know who the Swedish twins are.

Martin and Marcus Olsson - both play for Blackburn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I may be way out of the loop here but, who is that Adam Maher bloke in the Dutch squad?

Sorry if I'm late to the party here! ;)

18-YO for AZ Alkmaar. CM. Supposed to be ridiculously good.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Loew's lovechild Cacau makes into the side, ugh. Should have brought Kießling instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Holland bringing 5 keepers? Why?

They are provisional squads only. Holland have 36 players there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sure its only the provisional squad.

Really fancy Germany, that team looks scary good.

• Advertisement

haha imagine if they acually did :D

Spain are blessed with keepers just thinking about it there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Wheres René Adler these days, he was Germanys main keeper going into the last world cup but due to a bad injury he missed out. Now he is not even in there provisional squad. Is he just not good enough or injured????

G.K. wrote: »
    Erik Pieters will be a big loss for the Dutch. I don't even know who'll start in place of him.

I imagine Anita or at a push, Emanuelson from Ajax might be called upon for LB now if they go the experience route. Both have played LB for a fair bit of their time at Ajax. Maybe Martins at Feyenoord who has impressed this season, stand to be corrected but I don't think he's ever played for the national team so it could be a risk. Outside them 3 names, I'd be struggling to name a notable (decent) Dutch LB worth calling upon.

tvercetti wrote: »
    Wheres René Adler these days, he was Germanys main keeper going into the last world cup but due to a bad injury he missed out. Now he is not even in there provisional squad. Is he just not good enough or injured????

He recently just recovered from a knee injury he picked up. Bayer signed Bernd Leno on loan from Stuttgart to fill in, he impressed and they signed him permanently. Adlers contract expires in the summer and he is expected to move to Hamburg on a free.
    -Ade- wrote: »
    Loew's lovechild Cacau makes into the side, ugh. Should have brought Kießling instead.

Cacau? Kiessling? Gimme Hanke! :)

tvercetti wrote: »

Fair few very good German keepers these days. Alder has been quite unlucky for the reason you mentioned when going into the 2010 World Cup as Germany's No.1 but Neuer has that position nailed down now and rightly so. I'd have Alder ahead of Wiese myself.

ter Stegen and Zieler (Man U should have kept him) are two very promising young goalkeepers coming off the back of very good seasons for club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Adler only just returned from Injury, and hasn't made a first team appearance for some time.

The Germans are blessed with very good up and coming keepers in their early 20s (Leno, Ter Stegen, Zieler) and Neuer himself is only 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can't wait to see the Spain starting line up and the squad. I wonder who they'll bring as their keepers, De Gea has been excellent recently whereas Reina hasn't been quite as good. CB will be an interesting prospect, I'd love to see Jordi Alba starting, and he has an excellent chance imo. The position of striker will be interesting too, I'd imagine Llorente and Soldado are certs, and it's between Negredo, Pedro, Torres and Villa for the other 2 spots.

The squad that I'd bring:

GK: I Casillas (C), V Valdes, D De Gea

DEF: S Ramos, J Alba, J Enrique, A Arbeloa, C Puyol, G Pique, R Albiol, C Marchena

MIDF: Xavi, A Iniesta, S Busquets, F Fabregas, X Alonso, D Silva, J Mata, J Navas

ATT: D Villa, R Soldado, F Llorente, Pedro

A lot of people are talking about the German team but I can't see past Spain. The Barca and Real players will be very motivated after their respective CL disappointments. The likes of Reina, Thiago, Negredo, Torres, Cazorla and Munian would be unlucky not to make it. A lot will depend on Villa's return to training with the Spainish squad, if indeed he does make it, should he miss out Torres will probably go in his place. The reason Del Bosque hasn't named his squad yet is to see whether Villa will be fit in time.

Their squad depth and age is remarkable, themselves and Germany will dominate world football for quite some time.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He recently just recovered from a knee injury he picked up. Bayer signed Bernd Leno on loan from Stuttgart to fill in, he impressed and they signed him permanently. Adlers contract expires in the summer and he is expected to move to Hamburg on a free.

Cacau? Kiessling? Gimme Hanke! :)

Hanke is a good shout too. Definetely deserves his chance ahead of Cacau. Tbf, anyone is better Cacau.

Alexander Büttner from Vitesse will replace Pieters it's been confirmed. Don't know anything about him.

No way will that many defenders go.

GK: I Casillas, V Valdes, D De Gea

DEF: J Alba, A Arbeloa, A Iraola/M Montoya, S Ramos, G Pique, C Puyol

MID: J Martinez, S Busquets, X Alonso, Xavi, A Iniesta, F Fabregas, D Silva, J Mata, J Navas, I Muniain, Pedro

FOR: R Soldado, F Llorente, D Villa/F Torres

That's what I'd take.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Alexander Büttner from Vitesse will replace Pieters it's been confirmed. Don't know anything about him.

In the squad, not in the XI. There's Jetro Williams at LB as well who's supposed to be some prospect.

No way will that many defenders go.

GK: I Casillas, V Valdes, D De Gea

DEF: J Alba, A Arbeloa, A Iraola/M Montoya, S Ramos, G Pique, C Puyol

MID: J Martinez, S Busquets, X Alonso, Xavi, A Iniesta, F Fabregas, D Silva, J Mata, J Navas, I Muniain, Pedro

FOR: R Soldado, F Llorente, D Villa/F Torres

That's what I'd take.
    If Enrique isn't chosen (which surprise me in the slightest) Iraola is the most likely imo, but Marchena not going would be very risky. Pique has been patchy this season, Barca's third best CB, which I would take Marchena. Also, there's nay chance they'll only bring 6 defenders. If Busquets had to play in at the back it would have a massive impact on the team balance, as it does when he plays CB at Barca. I also can't see Munain getting a game, as good and all as he is, and I'd have Cazorla and Thiago ahead of him in the pecking order. As for the forwards, I think the only uncertainty is Villa. It'll be interesting to see the starting XI.

THFC wrote: »
    If Enrique isn't chosen (which surprise me in the slightest) Iraola is the most likely imo, but Marchena not going would be very risky. Pique has been patchy this season, Barca's third best CB, which I would take Marchena. Also, there's nay chance they'll only bring 6 defenders. If Busquets had to play in at the back it would have a massive impact on the team balance, as it does when he plays CB at Barca. I also can't see Munain getting a game, as good and all as he is, and I'd have Cazorla and Thiago ahead of him in the pecking order. As for the forwards, I think the only uncertainty is Villa. It'll be interesting to see the starting XI.

You have Martinez who can play CB at the top level too, and Navas could fill in at RB in an emergency.

My starting back four would be Iraola/Montoya - Ramos - Barca CB - Alba

You have Martinez who can play CB at the top level too, and Navas could fill in at RB in an emergency.

My starting back four would be Iraola/Montoya - Ramos - Barca CB - Alba
    I don't see why they would bring Martinez, there's plenty of cover in midf and surely if they're looking for cover at CB then they would bring a CB. As for Navas at RB? :eek: I see him as a Spanish Walcott, that would disastrous for Spain, although admittedly I don't see a lot of him and have never seen him play RB. Also, Arbeloa has been outstanding this season, he's nailed on for RB should Ramos move to the center.

De gea over reina??

• Advertisement
Advertisement