Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Squad Lists

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Navas at RB would be hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

De gea over reina??
    Whenever I've seen Reina with Spain he has made mistakes, and he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in recent weeks with Liverpool. De Gea has been better this season and Del Bosque will see him as the future replacement to Casillas, considering Casillas, Valdes and Reina are all pretty much the same age. I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't get on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

THFC wrote: »
    Whenever I've seen Reina with Spain he has made mistakes, and he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in recent weeks with Liverpool. De Gea has been better this season and Del Bosque will see him as the future replacement to Casillas, considering Casillas, Valdes and Reina are all pretty much the same age. I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't get on the plane.

Yeah reina has been poor by his standerds this season, never seen him for spain. Just thought it was odd as de gea at the start of the season was poor enough and reina toward the end of this season has been poor. Anyways, splitting hairs really nobodys getting a sniff between the posts while casillas is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Spain will hardly bring Marchena will they? He's a disaster. I wouldn't even want him back at Valencia.

elefant wrote: »
    Spain will hardly bring Marchena will they? He's a disaster. I wouldn't even want him back at Valencia.
    Lack of other CBs plus experience, he might, but as GK said above they might not bring 8 defenders, in which case he'd lose out.

Just thinking about Cuenca and Tello, anyone think they might get a surprise call up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Of the two Cuenca is surely more likely, but I reckon Muniain/Carzorla'll be ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah reina has been poor by his standerds this season, never seen him for spain.

His highest profile game recently was a friendly against Argentina in 2010. Obviously you can't hang someone over one mistake but there probably is a decent case for bringing De Gea instead of Reina on the grounds that neither will play anyway but it would be useful experience for De Gea as he will be prime age when Casillas hangs up the gloves/armband (which could still be be 6 or 8 years away).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Reina is a leader in that Spanish camp and is a largely vocal, popular member of the squad. Teams aiming to win want their back-ups to be experienced winners who can be called upon if necessary, not kids. He will go to the Euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely no way Reina will be left out for De Gea.

Reina is the soul and spirit of that team in the dressing room.
    Having been living in the town Spain were staying in in Austria during the last euro's, I watched them train a few times - Reina was at the centre of everything, an absolutely huge personality around.

For the sake of a 3rd choice goalkeeping spot, I just can't see them leaving him behind.

Though to be honest, I'd have him in on merit - far more experienced than De Gea on the big stage. I know which I'd prefer coming off the bench if something disastrous happened to Casillas and Valdes.

• Advertisement

From Rafa to Aragones to now Del Bosque, or the players at Liverpool or the Spanish national team, all of them have said how good Reina has been for team moral. He'll more than likely not get a single minute at the Euros but there is no doubt he'll be in the squad.

Also Spanish defence for me would be..

Irola --- Martinez --- Puyol --- Alba

Would say Enrique for LB but since the turn of the year he's been average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I never like to gloat when a player gets injured but this could really help us. Puyol has gotten injured. Barca say that he needs surgery on his knee and could be out for six weeks. It gives him almost no chance of being available for the group stages of the Euros anyway.

Guardian article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Strong suggestions that Di Natale will get the call up for Italy. This makes me happy as an Italian fan, not too good from an Irish perspective though, shocking that there was ever a doubt about his inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Klose for top scorer?? The guy is an international goal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

I never like to gloat when a player gets injured but this could really help us. Puyol has gotten injured. Barca say that he needs surgery on his knee and could be out for six weeks. It gives him almost no chance of being available for the group stages of the Euros anyway.

Guardian article
    Yeah it's been confirmed he'll miss the Euros.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »

The odds aren't great. Around 12 or 14/1. I'm gonna look down the list and find someone in the 50s or 60s and back them each way. Worked for me in the last WC with Forlán.

I've just looked at the goal-scoring charts for the last 3 ECs. A hat-trick in one game would have gotten you up in the top 4. A run of one or two group stage games could be enough to win it. A lot of players seem to score one goal, but only a handful score two or more. I think the each way bet is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

The odds aren't great. Around 12 or 14/1. I'm gonna look down the list and find someone in the 50s or 60s and back them each way. Worked for me in the last WC with Forlán.

Someone from ether Poland or Ukraine might be worth a look home teams usually do well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think it's worth avoiding players from Group B for top goal scorer imo, not much value in Gomez, Van persie at current prices in such a tight group. Benzema at 20/1 is the one I like, and Elmander isn't the worst 150/1 shot I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

-Ade- wrote: »
    Also Spanish defence for me would be..

Irola --- Martinez --- Puyol --- Alba

Would say Enrique for LB but since the turn of the year he's been average at best.

As good as Martinez has been filling in at cb this season I wouldn't play him there for the Euros. Pique has been shocking recently so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramos in the centre and Iraola at rb. Can't wait to see Jordi Alba play, I can see him surprising a lot of people.

Can't believe it was difficult to pick the Ireland squad, can only imagine how Del Bosque feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Think it's worth avoiding players from Group B for top goal scorer imo, not much value in Gomez, Van persie at current prices in such a tight group. Benzema at 20/1 is the one I like, and Elmander isn't the worst 150/1 shot I've ever seen.

Benzema is who I'm going with too, has been in great form recently, will also have something small on Benzema top scorer and France outright winners @ 100/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

After it was announced recently that he will be joining Arsenal next season for some reason I see Lucas Podolski having a great Euro's, possibly even top scorer. Looking forward to the Euro's next month. Come on Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Supposedly Puyol is out of the Euro's.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0508/320041-fdsf/

Someone from ether Poland or Ukraine might be worth a look home teams usually do well .

Don't like the look of Ukraine's group. I'd fancy Poland to score more. Lewandowski is the one that pops out at me from them. Each way at 40/1 might be a decent punt.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Supposedly Puyol is out of the Euro's.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0508/320041-fdsf/

God I posted about that 2 hours ago. Keep up will you :p.

Of all the Spanish players to get injured he's the one last on my list. He's not as good as he was and I think he could have been a weak link in that defence. Whenever I've seen Barca this season he has looked dodgy enough.

Hopefully his replacement is worse.

Mark! wrote: »
    As good as Martinez has been filling in at cb this season I wouldn't play him there for the Euros. Pique has been shocking recently so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramos in the centre and Iraola at rb. Can't wait to see Jordi Alba play, I can see him surprising a lot of people.

Can't believe it was difficult to pick the Ireland squad, can only imagine how Del Bosque feels.

While I don't rate him particularly, and some would say I have an irrational hatred for Ramos :) I really wouldn't have him in my starting XI. By no means is he like Pepe for example but the guy is a liability. Agree with regards to Pique hence why I didn't have him in my defence mentioned above neither but with Puyol more than likely out, Pique will now surely start if there was any doubt.

Martinez, unless there is an injury to one of the midfielders won't be starting. He's more than adequate as he has shown when stepping into the CB spot. The only thing against him is his lack of playing time in that position for the national team

Noo wrote: »

Had this conversation in the football betting forum. Gomez will be starting for Germany, and unless he's injured then Klose will be a sub at most.

Lewandowski E/W @ 50/1

-Ade- wrote: »
    Lewandowski E/W @ 50/1

Yea I think I'll put some on him. Where did you get 50? Betfair?

Yea I think I'll put some on him. Where did you get 50? Betfair?

Bet 365.

On a general note. Might be worth following this thread in the lead up and during the tourney, Euro 2012 Betting Thread :)

Blanc's first pre-list for Euros: Evra, Clichy, Kaboul, Koscielny, Mexes, Rami, Evra, Malouda, Cabaye, Nasri, Benzema, Ribery, Ben Arfa

Ligue 1 based players will be named next week. Good to see Ben Arfa get a call up.

Evra???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Malouda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Ben Arfa??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Gee France will have a serious squad tempted to throw a few quid on them. Their two starting full backs missing may have an impact though. Clichy LB I'd imagine and who'll play right?

Debuchy or revelliere maybe, dunno who first choice is (or if either of those is 1st choice?) havent watched france in yonks

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

jive wrote: »
    Debuchy or revelliere maybe, dunno who first choice is (or if either of those is 1st choice?) havent watched france in yonks

Sagna is their first choice I think.

Haven't a clue who they'd have as back-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Casillas

Arbeloa--Ramos--Pique--Alba

Busquets--Alonso

Xavi

Silva
    Iniesta
    Llorente

I'd imagine Spain will start with that XI. Maybe Mata/Pedro/Fabregas for Silva/Iniesta
    Can't see Torres/Villa getting near the 1st team. Soldado being the 2nd choice behind Llorente

not with a broken leg he's not!

G.K. wrote: »
    Evra???

Has he started lately for France? They'll be weakened imo if he plays. Clichy ahead of him surely or do they have someone else?

Ukraine provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Oleksandr Bandura, Oleksandr Goryainov, Maxym Koval, Andriy Pyatov

Defenders: Bohdan Butko, Olexandr Kucher, Vitaly Mandziuk, Taras Mikhalik, Yaroslav Rakitskiy, Yevhen Selin, Yevhen Khacheridi, Vyacheslav Shevchuk

Midfielders: Olexandr Aliyev, Denys Garmash, Oleh Gusev, Yevhen Konoplyanka, Serhiy Nazarenko, Ruslan Rotan, Taras Stepanenko, Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, Andriy Yarmolenko

Forwards: Andriy Voronin, Marko Dević, Artem Milevskiy, Yevhen Seleznyov, Andriy Shevchenko

On standby: Roman Bezus, Oleksandr Volovyk, Edmar, Maxym Kalynychenko, Olexandr Kovpak, Artem Fedetskiy, Anton Shinder, Bohdan Shust

No Chygrinsky is a surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Defenders: Bohdan Butko, Olexandr Kucher, Vitaly Mandziuk, Taras Mikhalik, Yaroslav Rakitskiy, Yevhen Selin, Yevhen Khacheridi, Vyacheslav Shevchuk

Midfielders: Olexandr Aliyev, Denys Garmash, Oleh Gusev, Yevhen Konoplyanka, Serhiy Nazarenko, Ruslan Rotan, Taras Stepanenko, Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, Andriy Yarmolenko

Forwards: Andriy Voronin, Marko Dević, Artem Milevskiy, Yevhen Seleznyov, Andriy Shevchenko

On standby: Roman Bezus, Oleksandr Volovyk, Edmar, Maxym Kalynychenko, Olexandr Kovpak, Artem Fedetskiy, Anton Shinder, Bohdan Shust

I knew he'd make the cut

Debuchy will start.

I wouldn't know half the squad, maybe a quarter of it at a push but besides the ones in bold, wouldn't rate anyone there. I'm a big Sheva fan but he won't be up too much, a sub at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Khudobyak who raped St Pats isnt in it, seems Ukraine/Lyviv fans unhappy he doesnt play for them and isnt in the squad. Hes a technical attacking lad who doesnt care much for this defending lark.

meh, he's been injured basically all year hasn't he? Just checked there, he's only played twice since October so not all that suprising. Mightn't be fit now either.

Denys Garmash is an alright youngster. Had a hilarious sending off last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Preliminary Croatia Euro 2012 squad

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subašić (Monaco), Ivan Kelava (Dinamo Zagreb), Goran Blažević (Hajduk Split)

Defenders: Jurica Buljat (Maccaibi Haifa), Domagoj Vida (Dinamo Zagreb), Vedran Ćorluka (Bayer Leverkusen), Josip Šimunić (Dinamo Zagreb), Dejan Lovren (Lyon), Sime Vrsaljko (Dinamo Zagreb), Gordon Schildenfeld (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ivan Strinić (Dnipro), Danijel Pranjić (Bayern Munich)

Midfielders: Dario Srna (Shakhtar), Tomislav Dujmović (Zaragoza), Ognjen Vukojević (Dinamo Kiev), Ivan Rakitić (Sevilla), Luka Modrić (Tottenham), Ivan Perišić (Dortmund), Niko Kranjčar (Tottenham), Milan Badelj (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivo Iličević (Hamburg)

Forwards: Ivica Olić (Bayern Munich), Nikica Jelavić (Everton), Mario Mandžukić (Wolfsburg), Eduardo (Shakhtar), Nikola Kalinić (Dnipro)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

meh, he's been injured basically all year hasn't he? Just checked there, he's only played twice since October so not all that suprising. Mightn't be fit now either.

Denys Garmash is an alright youngster. Had a hilarious sending off last month

Why was he sent off? Time wasting?

darkman2 wrote: »
    Why was he sent off? Time wasting?

I -think- it was because he went back onto the pitch without the referees permission (even though he was essentially just running across to the sideline to wait for the referee to signal him back on). I'm not 100% though, whatever the reason it's clearly the wrong one :pac:

Kaboul should easily start for France, easily one of the PL's best CBs this season.

When they have Mexes and Rami and Sakho and Koscielny? That'll be a big ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Chris Smalling is out of Euros with a groin injury .

• Advertisement
Advertisement