Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Squad Lists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Russia Provisional Squad

GK: Akinfeev, Malafeev, Shunin

DF: Ignashevich, Berezutsky, Berezutsky, Anyukov, Zhirkov, Granat, Sharonov, Shishkin

MF: Denisov, Zyryanov, Shirokov, Glushakov, Ozdoev, Semshov, Izmailov, Kombarov

FW: Arshavin, Kerzhakov, Dzagoev, Kokorin, Pavulychenko, Pogrebnyak, Dzyuba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Croatia look fairly tidy going forward. Won't be easy for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

G.K. wrote: »
    When they have Mexes and Rami and Sakho and Koscielny? That'll be a big ask.

Kaboul is better than Mexes imo. Kos is a cert. Clichy LB and Debuchy for RB it seems. Midfield up they look awesome. If they turn up they'll take beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Goalkeepers:Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain), Viviano (Palermo);

Defenders:Abate (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Palermo), Barzagli (Juventus), Bocchetti (Rubin Kazan), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Criscito (Zenit San Pietroburgo), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders:Cigarini (Atalanta), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus),Schelotto (Atalanta), Verratti (Pescara);

Forwards:Balotelli (Manchester City), Borini (Roma), Cassano (Milan), Destro (Siena), Di Natale (Udinese), Giovinco (Parma)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

That Italian squad is beatable. Go Ireland.

Buffon, Maggio, Chiellini, Barzagli, Criscito, Pirlo, Motta, De Rossi, Marchisio, Montolivo, Cassano

A tad ahead of ireland imo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

watched the last couple mins on the juventus game and chiellini had to go off injured and seemed to be in distress, any word on him? be a big blow fot the italians if he missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Groin strain. Touch and go for the Euros. Having said that, there'll be proper reports tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I find it strange seeing a Serie B player (even if he won't be for much longer) and Mattia Destro in the squad. Surprised that Quagliarella didn't make it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I find it strange seeing a Serie B player (even if he won't be for much longer) and Mattia Destro in the squad. Surprised that Quagliarella didn't make it too.

Yeah no Quagliarella is a strange one. I think he's a great option to be able to spring off the bench.

Two Serie B players is weird, but they'll probably be amongst the ones getting cut.

I thought Prandelli had said he'd leave Balotelli out, but he's obviously changed his mind.

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »

Yeah no Quagliarella is a strange one. I think he's a great option to be able to spring off the bench.

Two Serie B players is weird, but they'll probably be amongst the ones getting cut.

I thought Prandelli had said he'd leave Balotelli out, but he's obviously changed his mind.
    I meant Verratti. I forgot Ogbonna was in B too. He seems to be a regular in the squad now though.

DenMan wrote: »
    That Italian squad is beatable. Go Ireland.

It's the Croatians I'm worried about. their squad looks very well on paper. Modric and Jelavic alone can beat teams on their own on their day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

2 Serie B players in the squad.

Buffom

Abate
    Chiellini
    Barzagli
    Balzaretti

De Rossi
    Pirlo
    Motta

Giovinco
    Cassano
    Baloteli

I think that will be the starting team.

They could, and should, qualify from our group in 2nd fairly handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Di Natale has to start. Mad otherwise.

Di Natale has to start. Mad otherwise.

I think he will be a sub.
    He's not able for too many games close together, this season he has had to be subed a lot, and has been rested a lot of Udinese have had games close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

I'd be more confident that Di Natale could cope with playing games close together than Cassano tbh. He's only been back playing since the 25th of April after his heart surgery and he doesn't generally have a high level of fitness anyway so I think Cassano will only start 1 or 2 of the Group games.

Sweden Squad

Goalkeeper: Andreas Isaksson (PSV Eindhoven), Johan Wiland (FC Copenhagen), Pär Hanson (Helsingborg)

Defenders: Mikael Lustig (Celtic), Olof Mellberg (Olympiakos), Andreas Granqvist (Genoa), Martin Olsson (Blackburn), Jonas Olsson (West Bromwich Albion), Behrang Safari (Anderlecht), Mikael Antonsson (Bologna)

Midfielders: Rasmus Elm (AZ Alkmaar), Sebastian Larsson (Sunderland), Kim Kallstrom (Lyon), Anders Svensson (Elfsborg), Pontus Wernbloom (CSKA Moscow), Samuel Hollman (Istanbul BB), Emir Bajrami (Twente), Christian Wilhelmsson (al-Hilal)

Forwards: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (AC Milan), Johan Elmander (Galatarasay), Tobias Hysen (IFK Gothenburg), Ola Toivonen (PSV Eindhoven), Marcus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen)

Portugal Squad

Goalkeepers: Rui Patrício, Eduardo, Beto.

Defenders: João Pereira, Fábio Coentrão, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Rolando, Ricardo Costa, Miguel Lopes.

Midfield: Raul Meireles, João Moutinho, Miguel Veloso, Carlos Martins, Ruben Micael, Custódio

Forwards: Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma, Hugo Almeida, Postiga, Nélson Oliveira, Varela

• Advertisement

Czech Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech (Chelsea), Jan Lastuvka (Dnepropetrovsk), Jaroslav Drobny (Hamburg), Tomas Grigar (Teplice)

Defenders: Frantisek Rajtoral (Plzen), Roman Hubnik (Hertha Berlin), Tomas Sivok (Besiktas), Michal Kadlec (Bayer Leverkusen), Daniel Pudil (Cesena), Theodor Gebre Selassie (Slovan Liberec), David Limbersky (Plzen), Marek Suchy (Spartak Moscow)

Midfielders: Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal), Jaroslav Plasil (Bordeaux), Jan Rezek (Famagusta), Daniel Kolar (Plzen), Petr Jiracek (Wolfsburg), Milan Petrzela (Plzen), Vaclav Pilar (Plzen), Tomas Hubschman (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Strikers: Milan Baros (Galatasaray), David Lafata (Jablonec), Tomas Pekhart (Nuremberg), Tomas Necid (CSKA Moscow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

no valdes in the spain squad i believe

nevermind there no chelsea, Barca or bilbao players included in the provisional squad

redzerdrog wrote: »

nevermind there no chelsea, Barca or bilbao players included in the provisional squad

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

There isn't . With the cup final and champions league they've been left out for the friendlies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

redzerdrog wrote: »

Haven't seen the squad but I presume any teams with players still with club duties haven't been called up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Just had a look at the Germany squad there, it looks ridiculously good. Assuming they go for a 4-2-3-1, how will they line up? They've so many attacking options in every position;

Schweinsteiger/Bender Khedira/Bender
    Podolski/Goetze Kroos/Ozil Muller/Reus
    Gomez/Klose

Their defense might be a bit suspect but otherwise they look unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Germany squad there, it looks ridiculously good. Assuming they go for a 4-2-3-1, how will they line up? They've so many attacking options in every position;

Schweinsteiger/Bender Khedira/Bender
    Podolski/Goetze Kroos/Ozil Muller/Reus
    Gomez/Klose

Their defense might be a bit suspect but otherwise they look unbelievable.

From what I've seen this season I'd go with

Schweinsteiger
    Khedira

Gotze
    Ozil
    Podolski

Gomez

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think Kroos is expected to start beside Schweinsteiger. Plenty of good options either way.

French Provisonal Squad

Keepers: Stève Mandanda, Hugo Lloris, Cédric Carrasso

Defenders: Gaël Clichy, Patrice Evra, Laurent Koscielny, Adil Rami, Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa, Anthony Reveillere, Phillipe Mexes

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye, Yan M'Vila, Alou Diarra, Blaise Matuidi, Samir Nasri, Marvin Martin, Florent Malouda, Yoann Gourcuff

Forwards: Franck Ribery, Mathieu Valbuena, Karim Benzema, Oliver Giroud, Jérémy Menez, Hatem Ben Arfa, Loïc Remy

Sakho's omission is a big surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Think they could be serious dark horses. Got plenty of good players and they surely will be super motivated after the debacle of the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    French Provisonal Squad

Keepers: Stève Mandanda, Hugo Lloris, Cédric Carrasso

Defenders: Gaël Clichy, Patrice Evra, Laurent Koscielny, Younès Kaboul, Adil Rami, Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-M'Biwa, Anthony Reveillere, Phillipe Mexes

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye, Yan M'Vila, Alou Diarra, Blaise Matuidi, Samir Nasri, Marvin Martin, Florent Malouda, Yoann Gourcuff

Forwards: Franck Ribery, Mathieu Valbuena, Karim Benzema, Oliver Giroud, Jérémy Menez, Hatem Ben Arfa, Loïc Remy

Sakho's omission is a big surprise.

Kaboul has been ruled out of the tournament by Blanc apparently. He has a knee injury and won't recover in time.

Remy was injured at the weekend as well I think. He might make it though.

• Advertisement

Giorgio Chiellini is out for 20 days, so he'll miss the Coppa Italia final, but he should be back for the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Looking forward ro this, I had a dream I think last night Ireland got to the final, greek style :pac:

Hard to believe that's 8 years ago either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

The Spanish squad announced today is only for upcoming friendlies and nothing to do with Euros, hence the reason Torres, Mata and Barca and Athletico players left out.

Updated Dutch Provisional Squad

Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma ( PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke´04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Siem de Jong (Ajax), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV), Adam Maher (AZ), Joris Mathijsen (Málaga), Luciano Narsingh (sc Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München), Stijn Schaars (Sporting), Wesley Sneijder (Inter), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax) and Jetro Willems (PSV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

cgpg5 wrote: »
    From what I've seen this season I'd go with

Schweinsteiger
    Khedira

Gotze
    Ozil
    Podolski

Gomez

Cant see Podolski playing. Muller has to play if fit, top scorer in the WC says it all. Klose will prob. start ahead of Gomez as Klose is just awesome when he plays for Germany. But ya very strong team and whoever beats them wins the Euros.

France should win their Group quite easily i feel and will be dangerous along with Spain obviously. Very hard to split Spain/Germany but Germany look to be in better form.

Warper wrote: »
    Cant see Podolski playing. Muller has to play if fit, top scorer in the WC says it all. Klose will prob. start ahead of Gomez as Klose is just awesome when he plays for Germany. But ya very strong team and whoever beats them wins the Euros.

Erm... Poldi's sensational for Germany in tournaments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Richards, Crouch and Ferdinand won't be included in England's squad announced tomorrow, according to The Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Warper wrote: »

Klose over Super Mario?!

Müller over Podolski?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Paully D wrote: »
    Richards, Crouch and Ferdinand won't be included in England's squad announced tomorrow, according to The Guardian.

If Carroll is picked ahead of Crouch, I will be a bit angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looks like Ferdinand is out as is Kyle Walker with a toe injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Funny isn't it that Fabio rarely let things leak out and the media were never happy with him.
    The night before Roy's first squad announcement there's several leaks and the media have their buddy

With Walker ruled out and Richards seemingly not going either, does that leave Johnson as their only right-back? I can't think of anyone else. Smalling is out and he could do a job there. They're leaving themselves very short at the back if that's the case.

With Walker ruled out and Richards seemingly not going either, does that leave Johnson as their only right-back? I can't think of anyone else. Smalling is out and he could do a job there. They're leaving themselves very short at the back if that's the case.

Paul Konchesky may be asked to cover Right back

amiable wrote: »
    Paul Konchesky may be asked to cover Right back

It may well come to that :pac:.

Jones will surely be covering right back. I don't like him there at all. Barring the cross he gave for Rooney at the weekend he is usually terrible at crossing. Johnson hasn't been great there either this season.

I hope he brings Konchesky and starts him. It'd be quite funny.

The award for the most appropriate name goes to Portugal's DM Custodio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hodgson started Jones at RB.

Blatter wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hodgson started Jones at RB.
    Looks like Danny Welbeck has been selected too

amiable wrote: »
    Looks like Danny Welbeck has been selected too

I think he had to be in fairness, providing he was fit. He'll actually probably start the first game as well in the absence of Rooney.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Gee France will have a serious squad tempted to throw a few quid on them. Their two starting full backs missing may have an impact though. Clichy LB I'd imagine and who'll play right?

I bet Evra will be LB.

• Advertisement

Lloris
    Debuchy-Koscielny-Mexes-Evra
    Cabaye--M'Vila
    Ben Arfa--Nasri---Ribery
    Benzema

Not sure about Ben Arfa though, and Giroud is a good shout.

Advertisement