Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Squad Lists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

That back four isn't the most convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

amiable wrote: »
    Funny isn't it that Fabio rarely let things leak out and the media were never happy with him.
    The night before Roy's first squad announcement there's several leaks and the media have their buddy

I seem to remember the Liverpool starting 11 regularly leeked the day before a game even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

That's only because Evra's there. The others are excellent players.

Valbuena wil probably play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Richards has to start at RB for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Frisbee wrote: »
    Richards has to start at RB for me.

The Guardian say he's not in the squad and they would generally have good contacts in Manchester

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »

That's only because Evra's there. The others are excellent players.

Valbuena wil probably play.
    Mexes is a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Klose over Super Mario?!

Müller over Podolski?!

Muller is a better player than Podolski and Klose is a better fit for Germany than Gomez who misses Ribery/Robben.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Warper wrote: »
    Muller is a better player than Podolski and Klose is a better fit for Germany than Gomez who misses Ribery/Robben.

I don't get this argument that "He plays better for Germany than the other guy" How could you not play Gomez? He has been absolutely outstanding this season in europe and domestically. I dont know Podolski and Muller's exact stats but someone here said something along the lines of Muller should start cos he was top scorer in WC 2010. what's that got to do with here and now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Klose has 63 goals in 114 appearances for Germany, Gomez has 21 goals in 51 appearances.

Klose will be 34 during the Euros and has scored 16 goals this season, Gomez is 26 and has scored 41 goals.

The coach would have to be on some serious crack not to start Gomez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Provisional Greece Squad

Goalkeepers: Michalis Sifakis (Aris Thessaloniki FC), Kostas Chalkias (PAOK FC), Alexandros Tzorvas (US Città di Palermo).

Defenders: Vassilis Torossidis (Olympiacos FC), Kyriakos Papadopoulos (FC Schalke 04), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (SV Werder Bremen), Avraam Papadopoulos (Olympiacos FC), José Holebas (Olympiacos FC), Giorgos Tzavellas (AS Monaco FC), Stelios Malezas (PAOK FC).

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis (Panathinaikos FC), Giorgos Karagounis (Panathinaikos FC), Giannis Maniatis (Olympiacos FC), Giorgos Fotakis (PAOK FC), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens FC), Giannis Fetfatzidis (Olympiacos FC), Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos FC), Alexandros Tziolis (AS Monaco FC), Kostas Fortounis (1. FC Kaiserslautern), Panagiotis Kone (Bologna FC).

Forwards: Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK FC), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic FC), Fanis Gekas (Samsunspor), Nikos Liberopoulos (AEK Athens FC), Kostas Mitroglou (Atromitos FC).

David Villa has been officially ruled out of the Euros. Torres will probably take his place now. Spain name their squad on Sunday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Big loss, would have been asking alot to come back from an injury that bad the exact player he was before it.
    Always liked him as a player..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Blatter wrote: »
    Klose has 63 goals in 114 appearances for Germany, Gomez has 21 goals in 51 appearances.

Klose will be 34 during the Euros and has scored 16 goals this season, Gomez is 26 and has scored 41 goals.

The coach would have to be on some serious crack not to start Gomez.

case well made, yet if I could get odds on Klose scoring more goals than Gomez in the tournament I would have a punt, won't be a big shock if he's more important for them even at 34

klose is 16 goals in 4 finals vs gomez who is 0 for 2 and barely a handful of really important goals for germany in qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Warper wrote: »
    Muller is a better player than Podolski

cop-out-nope.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Podolski plays as a left winger/forward for Germany.

Muller plays behind the main striker.

For Germany Muller plays on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ormus wrote: »
    Podolski plays as a left winger/forward for Germany.

Muller plays behind the main striker.

Where will Wenger play him after the Euro's I wonder?

For Germany Muller plays on the right.

Really? News to me. Very strange.

Still, it means its not case of either Muller or Podolski for Germany.

DenMan wrote: »
    Where will Wenger play him after the Euro's I wonder?

I'd say he would fit nicely on the left where Arshavin used to be, or Gervinho.

Walcott or Oxlade Chamberlain on the opposite side.

Podolski could also play striker if RvP needs a rest.

• Advertisement

Really? News to me. Very strange.

In the world cup for example, this was a typical German team:

Neuer
    Boateng-Friederich-Mertesacker-Lahm
    Khedira-Schweinsteiger
    Muller-Ozil-Podolski
    Klose

In the world cup for example, this was a typical German team:

Neuer
    Boateng-Friederich-Mertesacker-Lahm
    Khedira-Schweinsteiger
    Muller-Ozil-Podolski
    Klose

That makes sense I suppose, just never noticed him out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Spanish 23

Casillas Valdes Reina

Arbeloa Ramos Pique Albiol Juanfran Javi Martinez Alba

Xabi Busquets Cazorla Xavi Iniesta Francesc Silva Pedro Navas Mata

Torres Llorente Negredo

Thought Soldado deserved a place personally.

The midfield is one of the strongest that I've ever seen. And they still have Martinez in defence. I hope some of them get struck down with bird flu or something else quare, otherwise our chances against them are looking quite slim. I doubt they'll be intimidated by Paul McShane's presence :P.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Soldado's form really nose dived towards the end of the season but even still, overall, should have went instead of Negredo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

with fahey out and green in i have no time for green a plastic bag would do better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

-Ade- wrote: »
    Soldado's form really nose dived towards the end of the season but even still, overall, should have went instead of Negredo.

Should have gone instead of Torres surely??

Also no Adrián is very harsh on him. Thought he deserved a place, maybe ahead of Pedro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

How VDB didn't include Soldado totally baffles me....

Torres scored 11 goals this season, Soldado scored 27.

Torres has scored 1 goal for Spain in almost 2 years. Soldado has scored 3 goals in 45 minutes for Spain in that time.

Good news for Ireland though that Torres was picked on reputation alone. If we can keep Llorente quiet I don't think Spain's forwards will be too much of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Morzadec wrote: »

Also no Adrián is very harsh on him. Thought he deserved a place, maybe ahead of Pedro

Nah, Pedro is too good to be not included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

elefant wrote: »
    How VDB didn't include Soldado totally baffles me....

Torres scored 11 goals this season, Soldado scored 27.

Torres has scored 1 goal for Spain in almost 2 years. Soldado has scored 3 goals in 45 minutes for Spain in that time.

Good news for Ireland though that Torres was picked on reputation alone. If we can keep Llorente quiet I don't think Spain's forwards will be too much of a threat.

I think Torres is playing with more confidence since RDM took over at the Bridge. I would not write him off.

Though, I feel bad for Soldado not making it. He is better than Negredo.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Morzadec wrote: »

Indeed he should have. But personally, I didn't have much doubts that Torres wouldn't be in the team especially once it was all but confirmed Villa was missing out. Del Bosque like Aragones is known to be a supporter of Torres and what he brings to the team ie: pace and can work the channels, which the other strikers aren't known for. Only Villa provided that.

It's a real shame because Soldado won't have many more chances no at international level. Chances as in actual game time I mean. If you asked me a few months ago, I'd have said there was a real chance for Soldado could be starting for Spain come June.

Adrian is a good call. But it's a tad too early for him perhaps. I expect him, assuming he continues his progression of course, to be part of the 3 or 4 that will be going to Brazil in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

From the squad announcement to date here is an Initial attempt at the starting line-ups for Croatia, Spain and Italian teams:
    Croatia (4-4-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Schildenfeld / Lovren ?
    CB. Simunic
    LB. Strinic / Pranjic
    RM. Srna
    CM. Dujmovic
    CM. Modric
    LM. Kranjcar
    FW. Jelavic /Mandzukic ?
    FW. Olic /Mandzukic ?

Spain (4-1-2-2-1):
    GK. Casillas
    RB. Arbeloa / Ramos ?
    CB. Ramos
    CB. Pique /Martinez ?
    LB. Alba
    DM. Busquets
    CM. Alonso
    AM. Iniesta
    CM. Xavi
    AM. Silva
    FW. Llorente

Italy (4-1-2-1-2):
    GK. Buffon
    RB. Maggio
    CB. Chellini
    CB. Barzagli
    LB. Balzaretti ?
    RCM. Marchisio
    DM. Pirlo
    LCM. DeRossi
    AM. Cassano ?
    FW. Balotelli
    FW. Di Natale

Croatian forward line , Spanish defense and Italian formation/lineup seems to be the areas that are yet to be decided by their respective coaches.
    At least Trap has only one possible dilemma, Doyle or Long.

From the squad announcement to date here is an Initial attempt at the starting line-ups for Croatia, Spain and Italian teams:
    Croatia (4-4-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Schildenfeld / Lovren ?
    CB. Simunic
    LB. Strinic / Pranjic
    RM. Srna
    CM. Dujmovic
    CM. Modric
    LM. Kranjcar
    FW. Jelavic /Mandzukic ?
    FW. Olic /Mandzukic ?

Spain (4-1-2-2-1):
    GK. Casillas
    RB. Arbeloa / Ramos ?
    CB. Ramos
    CB. Pique /Martinez ?
    LB. Alba
    DM. Busquets
    CM. Alonso
    AM. Iniesta
    CM. Xavi
    AM. Silva
    FW. Llorente

Italy (4-1-2-1-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Chellini
    CB. Barzagli
    LB. Balzaretti ?
    RCM. Marchisio
    DM. Pirlo
    LCM. DeRossi
    AM. Cassano ?
    FW. Balotelli
    FW. Di Natale

Croatian forward line , Spanish defense and Italian formation/lineup seems to be the areas that are yet to be decided by their respective coaches.
    At least Trap has only one possible dilemma, Doyle or Long.

Corluka will be busy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Likewise Pletikosa :pac:

Its been a while since I've seen Italy but I'd be amazed if they started with Cassano, Balotelli and Di Natale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Its been a while since I've seen Italy but I'd be amazed if they started with Cassano, Balotelli and Di Natale.

Italian coach seems to like Cassano and i think he will also go with 2 upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not got too many other options, maybe Giovinco and use Di Natale as an impact sub but that's it really.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Not got too many other options, maybe Giovinco and use Di Natale as an impact sub but that's it really.

I think either Balotelli or Di Natale will be sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Surely Fabregas will be starting for Spain. Pedro is also considered as he is returning to form. I'd drop Llorente - think hes over-rated

Fabregas probably won't start.

Who do you drop of Alonso, Xavi and Busquets for him?

Also what do you make of this: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/14/del-bosque-spain-tactics-false-nine-euro-2012/

• Advertisement

Italy have announced their squad numbers, if that means anything.

Portieri

1 Gianluigi Buffon
    14 Morgan De Sanctis
    12 Salvatore Sirigu

Difensori

7 Ignazio Abate
    6 Federico Balzaretti
    15 Andrea Barzagli
    19 Leonardo Bonucci
    3 Giorgio Chiellini
    2 Christian Maggio
    4 Angelo Obinze Ogbonna

Centrocampisti

16 Daniele De Rossi
    22 Alessandro Diamanti
    13 Emanuele Giaccherini
    8 Claudio Marchisio
    18 Riccardo Montolivo
    5 Thiago Motta
    23 Antonio Nocerino
    21 Andrea Pirlo

Attaccanti

9 Mario Barwuah Balotelli
    17 Fabio Borini
    10 Antonio Cassano
    11 Antonio Di Natale
    20 Sebastian Giovinco

Probably doesn't. 5 defenders in the 1-11, one of whom is 4th choice CB Ogbonna, + 2 RB's.

No Pirlo or De Rossi either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Not a vintage Italian squad. I think the manager will need to either start, or bring on, Balotelli to progress out of the group. He seems like the wild card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Fabregas probably won't start.

Who do you drop of Alonso, Xavi and Busquets for him?

Also what do you make of this: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/14/del-bosque-spain-tactics-false-nine-euro-2012/

Not specific to that article but does anyone know if zonalmarking (or other site) has any tactical info on how the 16 teams at Euro2012 prefer (and as such are likely) to play?

Z_M is working on those writeups ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Z_M is working on those writeups ATM.

He is waiting to see all the friendlies I believe ?

They're part of the reason why he's not published anything yet.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Not specific to that article but does anyone know if zonalmarking (or other site) has any tactical info on how the 16 teams at Euro2012 prefer (and as such are likely) to play?

As has been said, ZM will be doing one. The Guardian are also doing previews of all the teams. They don't go into much depth about tactics, but they're better that what you'll find most places. They've done Russia, Greece, Poland and Czech Republic so far.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog+football/series/euro-2012-experts-network

M'Vila twisted his ankle after 5 minutes in the match against Serbia tonight. He had to be helped down the tunnel and was in tears. Not looking great for him or for France.

Looks sore enough. With a few days rest he might be able to make it back in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement